Camera Systems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dvorak

United States
95 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  10:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for feedback on different school bus camera systems. Currently, we're using Gatekeeper's Nitro series and we're not having much luck with them to say the least. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  11:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We like our REIs out of Omaha

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  11:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

We like our REIs out of Omaha

I agree. We have had great service out of REI Bus Watch. I think there is another thread somewhere with opinions from several about this subject. We have started to get the multi-camera system. We thought these were quite expensive but a recent incident has made the super. want to buy one for every bus. We're getting there!

A little about Bus Watch. They have a removeable hard drive that plugs into your computer, on screen programing, up to 4 cameras on one unit including at least a couple of camera types (wide angle, etc.), & a great support number to call. We have a spare hard drive so we can remove one and put the spare right in. You don't have to keep the hard drive to keep the clip you want to save either. All you have to do is save a clip to your computer. I'm sure there are other companies out there that offer similar products but I have had good service with these guys and plan on staying with them. I hope this has been informative. I keep answering questions here because I have been where you are and will probably be there again. i.e. lots of questions about something I know nothing about.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
469 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  12:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We use Seon digital cameras same removable hard drive same save to computer(we use an external hard drive) and excellent service department. We tried bus vision poor equipment and nonexistent service, and GateKeeper large unit and cumbersome the software had to be on each computer to view the video generated. Our latest Seons are very small and easy to mount, the hard drive is smaller in dimension but twice the capacity.
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  2:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Installed angeltrax video systems on our main route busses. 3 camera system with gps they of course are all hooked up to turn signal stop lights the works not to bad to install and so far my district loves them. Only issue we have had so far is on the C2's is the camera that watches the driver and down the step well had to be upgrade to a little more expensive one to get the view we needed. The tech support is great much better than when we had the older 1 camera seon system.
Go to Top of Page

bcressey

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2010 :  6:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit bcressey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Been a REI dealer for 10+ years which is an eternity in the camera business. We install others but sell only REI. Good company good customer support 24/7/365. Family owned and assembled, serviced and tech support all in the good old USA.
Go to Top of Page

BusFleet

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  10:07:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We run a total of 653 Seon cameras in our fleet (518 TR1's and 135 TL4's with three camera lenses), and we have 90 more to install. Installation is not difficult. The software for downloading data (for either system) is easy to use and the picture quality is great. On the rare occasion that we need support, it is superb! As the saying goes, 'service sells'. No complaints!
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  12:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bcressey

Been a REI dealer for 10+ years which is an eternity in the camera business. We install others but sell only REI. Good company good customer support 24/7/365. Family owned and assembled, serviced and tech support all in the good old USA.

We too love our REIs but after reading your post I am sorry to say that the last system we got had made in China written all over it. Cameras, camera cables, R4001 recorder all labeled made in China.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  2:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

quote:
Originally posted by bcressey

We too love our REIs but after reading your post I am sorry to say that the last system we got had made in China written all over it. Cameras, camera cables, R4001 recorder all labeled made in China.

I'm pissed!! I have four of these units sitting in the floor waiting to be installed. Rolled my office chair over there and the big box with REI tape all over it has a sticker that reads "mixed merchandise check carefully, made in America" Well, it might be made in America but it must be a Chinese town because the cables for the cameras and the main recorder box say made in China on them. Could not find made in China on anything else.

Just called my salesman. He said he went to see the factory a few years ago. So I guess they must have moved it. He said well I guess they did I'll check into that. I said well you better give them a piece of my mind when you talk to them. I just hate it when our money (tax payers) goes to bail out these dip sh*ts and then they send our jobs over seas. More to come!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bcressey

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  4:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit bcressey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a conference call with them scheduled tomorrow. I will find out, good question.
Go to Top of Page

C2FAN

United States
114 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  4:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think if you did some research you would find the ALL of the bus surveillance companies have outsourced to China. The business is just too competitive. If somebody was still manufacturing the U.S. they would be priced out of business. My experience shows that most districts won't buy anything but low bid these days.

With that said, I've sold REI and Seon and would have to say I got far less customer complaints after switching to Seon. Their customer service is really far above any other companies I deal with.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  06:42:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we don't get the ball rolling China will be building all our solar panels. That "Green" money is supposed to create jobs here.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  7:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wolf, There's a new movie called "Cool It" I would like to see. It is about how we will be broke before we cool our planet. I hate to say it but were a bunch of loosers! We are spending all our money chasing a myth! We're not only going to be the laughing stock of the whole world but of history as well! What's worse, I think the rest of the world knows it already! Especially China. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPUcfQS-slo

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2010 :  06:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not worried about global warming,I just think we should be less oil and coal dependent. We can adapt some of these "green" technologies right here in our own shops.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

flower route

24 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  07:58:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit flower route's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pro vison is junk. Will have 5 for sale soon as we get the money for 5 AngleTrax. AngelTrax is great.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  1:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We have dealer-installed Seon systems on 3 buses that were ordered for our first home-to-school contract (primarily charter company) this summer. They're easy to use, the software is very user-friendly, and the 160GB hard drives hold over a month's worth of footage with our set-up (AM and PM routes with no midday, 2 cameras installed). Picture quality is great unless in complete darkness. Sound is decent. I don't know how reliable they are long-term, but first impressions are that they're a great system. At my other job, we're still in the dark ages with REI Bus-Watch single-head B&W VHS (the cheap ones - that's what happens when the school tells a large contractor they want "cameras").
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  12:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need some stuff off the REI downloads section. Install_01_01_071108.exe in particular. I can't get BusView to find the DVRs in our route buses. Does the key switch have to be turned on the DVR to get the video with a PC to DVR using the ethernet cable?

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2012 :  2:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you running the new ARMOR VMS with new HD series systems? I haven't tried hooking the laptop directly up to the DVR yet, but I can say that my desktop (Windows XP) with VMS can't find open the files when I pull the hard drive to watch a vid. My laptop (Windows 7)can however.

Tech support is stumped on this one. They said they have been running into the problem here and there, but can't get enough info to make a fix just yet.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 09/24/2012 2:45:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  09:40:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Are you running the new ARMOR VMS with new HD series systems? I haven't tried hooking the laptop directly up to the DVR yet, but I can say that my desktop (Windows XP) with VMS can't find open the files when I pull the hard drive to watch a vid. My laptop (Windows 7)can however.

Tech support is stumped on this one. They said they have been running into the problem here and there, but can't get enough info to make a fix just yet.

It's a R4001 DVR. I was wanting to get the wreck footage off of the DVR. It's our bus but the schools camera system. I think they just take out the HD and view them on the desk. I guess I need to get a key from one of the guys down there.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2012 :  09:47:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you'll have to remove the hard drive and have the program in order to view it. I think all the software you need is on REI's web site.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  12:29:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Yes, you'll have to remove the hard drive and have the program in order to view it. I think all the software you need is on REI's web site.

Cool man I got a key coming and already installed the software on my toughbook and my desktop pc. This thing has 3 cameras installed should be interesting.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  05:33:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be cool to see. No one was hurt were they?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  07:41:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

That would be cool to see. No one was hurt were they?

No one was hurt. A pickup went in a ditch then popped back up hitting the bus in the left front. Everyone just needed some toilet paper I was told.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  07:50:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's cool.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  09:07:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mykGth0XeJc you guys need dashcams! IC FE in this video, no serious injuries
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  10:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What happened, did he go to sleep? Did you see the one that was on the news the other day? It was of a dash cam of a guy following a semi and a strait truck (cab over) ran head on into him and the driver of the straight truck was thrown out of the windshield. It looked like he just did a back flip out of there and landed on his feet and walked away!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Charles003

7 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2012 :  3:57:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Charles003's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've had the REI system for a couple of years now. It's not perfect. Quality of the stuff is only fair - a few hard drives wouldn't plug in because they were machined incorrectly. Power and camera plugs can be fritzy. The DVR itself is pretty good, I rarely have to replace one of those but the hard drives can be problematic. The biggest woe is the cameras. They fade in and out for no reason, causing the DVR to make a beeping sound and drive the drivers crazy. I usually have about 2 beepers a day out of 250 buses. I usually replace the camera and then run it on our test bench. If it doesn't malfunction we put it back in service in another bus. The people who review the tapes love the system because its so much better than the Safety Vision system we had before.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  03:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bwest: the driver was looking in the overhead mirror talking to a student while attempting the turn...as you can see, she didn't straighten the wheel after the curve!

Charles003: the audiable alarms can be disabled in programming. Pro: happy driver Con: no notice when something goes wrong
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  09:13:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

bwest: the driver was looking in the overhead mirror talking to a student while attempting the turn...as you can see, she didn't straighten the wheel after the curve!

Charles003: the audiable alarms can be disabled in programming. Pro: happy driver Con: no notice when something goes wrong

I see. Also, thanks for the information on the programming. I will explore that myself. I am have trouble with those beeps too.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2012 :  1:09:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I get time I will hook up to one of my systems and find the exact path for you. I just remember there is an option to disable em someplace!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000