New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  11:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2010/4/1/602350.html?title=Good+Friday+could+be+bad+day+for+Hillsborough+schools

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  2:00:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to see use of a secular school calendar. I wish NY was smart enough to use a secular calendar. So many days off for Christian and Jewish holidays. I'm not anti-religion, don't get me wrong. But there is no reason to go to school on days that are not Federal holidays. A fortune could be saved by trimming down on frivolous calendars.

Go to church after school is done folks. No need to call in "sick". It is NOT a mandatory holy day of obligation, at least for Catholics.

Edited by - RichBusman on 04/01/2010 2:02:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  6:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GRRRR They edited it after I linked it. There is a paragraph missing that said they are looking for anyone with a CDL to drive a school bus tomorrow. *That's* why I posted the link!

In the meantime, ponder this sentence from the article:
"The district is asking bus drivers to pick up any students they see on the side of the road, even if those students aren't their regular passengers."
Go to Top of Page

coolbusdriver
Top Member

Canada
1509 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  12:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the schools here are closed for the entire Easter weekend, Friday to Tuesday (Tuesday being the day school starts again)

Now, as for Easter being a religious holiday, for many it is, but for many it is not. Celebrating with bunnies, and eggs etc. is a celebration of spring and has nothing to do with the death and resurrection of Jesus that the church celebrates.

So if all these employees are taking time off because they say they are attending Church, maybe the schools need to start asking for proof?

Sounds to me like they just want a long weekend, so why not make it easier on everyone, and make it a day off?
Go to Top of Page

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  06:50:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hillsborough County is on Spring Break this week.

I'd like to see a policy in my county (AND see it enforced!) that requires you to work the days immediately before and after a holiday in order to receive your holiday pay.

We were on Spring Break the week of Good Friday, but the Friday before break was AWFUL in terms of absenteeism. All 15 of the sub-drivers at my compound were on the road, and we've only got 86 routes to cover.
Go to Top of Page

WallyG
Advanced Member

United States
255 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  07:17:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
National pass time for (the not professional) SB drivers is seeing how much time thay can take off without getting fired. They should be run out of the business for not honering their implied contract with the kids.

Go to Top of Page

Former School Bus M8

143 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  9:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WallyG

National pass time for (the not professional) SB drivers is seeing how much time thay can take off without getting fired. They should be run out of the business for not honering their implied contract with the kids.

I have to agree with you on this one. I would find it morally wrong to take a day off knowing that they do not have someone to cover the route. To knowingly abandon or strand these students for the sake of taking a long weekend is so wrong contract or not. To take it a step further shame on the teachers for calling in too. Thats one less day of education for these students. Is it a wonder why children in other countries are getting a better education than American children. I'm sure these people wouldn't be too happy if their local police or fire department took a cue from these teachers and drivers.

School Bus M8

Edited by - Former School Bus M8 on 04/05/2010 9:48:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  1:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Maybe they will take the high absentee rate into consideration when they prepare next years school calendar. Schools around here are never open on Good Friday, many businesses still close between 12-3pm as well.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.87 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000