General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 Video Survelliance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

busman13

4 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  11:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit busman13's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've used Seon DVR;s for years but they are using old and outdated features plus their service and support has over the 12 months got very poor. I am now going to purchase Angletax DVR's in the future

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  09:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look for an article in the April/May issue of SBF on the topic of video surveillance. Companies covered include: 247 Security, Angeltrax, Apollo Video, Fortress Systems, REI, Rosco Mirrors, Safety Vision and Seon.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  8:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
busman13

I'd really consider 247 securities, we work with them and have no problems.
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  05:41:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seon digital cameras are excellent! We have 370 or so of them in service and like them a lot. We are adding more this year.

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

mtok01

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  8:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Silent Observer cameras are in use in my division, but the Maintenance Dept. has very clearly labelled their switches "CAMERA." A little easy to tell if it's on or not, especially since most of the switches are on the TOP of the switch panel on a '03 Blue bird, which sticks up a good 2 inches above the front seat.

What d'you mean, it's not supposed to be making that noise?
Go to Top of Page

manputer

12 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  6:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit manputer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is always a new crop of DVR's coming out every year.

Get demo's and compare features, usability, warranty. Sometimes you can get demo's for no cost at all.

Search for "school bus digital video recorders" There is Seon, 24-7, Gatekeeper, Rei, Angeltrax and a whole crop of others out there to choose from.
Go to Top of Page

IT_WIZ_KID

4 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  09:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit IT_WIZ_KID's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have also dealt with the hardships of using similar products. I find that its the technology. Hard drives sooner or later will break down, and don't get me started on proprietary software. The glitches, and firmware, and updates, and the lack of compatibility. We are now using the best technology we can find. "Solid State DVR" We are using Pro-Vision Video, and are very happy with the options the ease of use and the reliability. They have been very helpful from the very start. I would advise anyone looking for something better, to look at their system. Here's a link: www.provsnusa.com

Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

manputer

12 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  9:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit manputer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that solid state has a lifetime as well. Do a google search for solid state hard drives.

While you may be able to aviod head crashes due to shock with solid state you still need to consider corruption issues. Improper shutdown will sometimes corrupt data no matter what storage medium you use.

There are lots of variables (Cost, Size of Disk (Record Hours), FPS, Video Quality, Warranty)

FPS and Video Quality are similar but NOT the same thing.

I would also advise a wiki search on video codecs. Lossy vs Lossless also makes a difference if you are required to transcode video into other formats such as plain ole' DVD. Reverse playback... etc etc.

Windows Movie Maker does a great job of transcoding tasks and it comes with windows too :P
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  1:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the bus video article from SBF's April/May issue - we would love to get your thoughts on it.

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/Channel/Management-Training/Articles/2010/04/Bus-Video-A-Versatile-Tool.aspx
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  10:06:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Myself would not drive a school bus without a working video camera on board. At least twice over the years accused of sexual interest in kids, both middle school age girls.

A driver does not always find out they have been accused of such conduct until after some sort of investigation.

In one situation two obnoxious, filthy-minded parents that were not the child's parent made false accusations. The child's parent came to my defense in court. That fiasco resulted in a nice settlement in my favor.

In another situation it was great for management and the administration to hear on the bus video one of the girls plotting to accuse the bus driver. Kids forget the camera is listening in. In this case the parent involved already knew both her child and me better than most, regardless, the camera covered the event very well in my favor.

True sexual offenders ought to be dealt with much more severity than what happens these days. Kids that retaliate against staff with lies too often escape with not much other than a slap on the hands.

Kids that make up sexual events damage not only innocent bus drivers and other staff, but also damage the victims of true abuse. They inject a cloud of doubt into the environment that can provide hiding places for sexual predators.

The damage these sorts of lying kids cause can be severe and ought not to be ignored with such gross indifference from some administrations.

No working camera on your school bus? Consider working elsewhere. No matter how decent you might be there remains plenty that would harm you if they believed they could escape consequence for doing that.

A working camera goes far to help put a stop to abuses on the school buses, but only when made use of by competent management and administrations. (jk)

Young people do not have to suffer in silence at the hands of bullies - This link takes you to more infomation and a download page. Bullied To Death. A video is imbedded in the document. This document can be sent to others as an email attachment or offered for download at your website.

Edited by - JK on 04/17/2010 10:17:05 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000