Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  06:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who uses what to do your diagnosis work with? I really need to purchase something but it will probly be a one time deal so I need to get it right the first time.

I would really like to use a laptop (being a school I feel I could find one) and purchase the needed software and cableing, but does this leave the door open so to speak for multiple brand diagnosis?

At the present time I have one 3126 cat and two DT466E's that I would use the laptop or scanner on.

What do you use in your shop?

Thanks all!!

lonebustech

United States
79 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  06:46:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing I just use my gut and dash codes

22 Buses,18 support vehicles,Grounds equip, buffers and vacuums for 9 campuses. 1 Tech. and 2 bays ain't life grand
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  06:56:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not the handiest but I use the same desk top computer I typed this post on for my diagnostics. It works with Navistars MD Fleet diagnostics software and cabling for my 13 Internationals but I have nothing for my one Mercedes/C2 or my 6.0 E450.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  07:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the ProlinkiQ www.nexiq.com they also sell OEM software for Navistar and Detroit. They have the cables and all there. Snap-on got mine for me.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 03/05/2010 07:38:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  07:42:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a laptop that I use for everything that has a computer (buses, not trucks/ vans). We got two seperate cable and software set ups for the two type engines we have (Cat & IH) They are quite expensive (don't remember just how much) and I wouldn't reconmend you buy one for the lone Cat you have unless you plan to buy used units with Cats in them (no new Cats now). As for the IHs you have, if you are planning to buy new buses in the near future the chances are you will be getting a binder if you bid your buses (not my brand if you have read my other posts). So I would say if you are only going to by one or the other right now the decision is like falling off a wall, get the IH set up. I'll bet you'll not have any more trouble with your Cat after you fix the trouble you are having now. I just don't have much trouble out of mine. I have 14 Cats (3126 & C7) and you can tell by my posts that I am not well versed with the trouble I am having as of late (I've been here 16 years and the oldest 3126 is a 1998). Plainly spoken, as a rule I don't have trouble with a Cat! It was a sad day here when they announced that Cat would not build on road enignes any longer.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  11:02:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CAT Pocket-Tech, and a Toshiba Toughbook with ServiceMaxx w/IC-4 is what we use now.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  11:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mechan1c

CAT Pocket-Tech, and a Toshiba Toughbook with ServiceMaxx w/IC-4 is what we use now.

Are these programs good for diagnosis, bi-directional, tests etc? How about a review? With software, cables and the prolink I have roughly 6k in mine. Way too much I know. I probably could have bought a toughbook cables and software for that. Can't get Cummins specific on mine either which sux.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  12:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lonebustech

Nothing I just use my gut and dash codes

If I had all of Texas at my finger tips this might work, but for us in the sticks its kinda tough. We travel to the DFW area often on field trips/school business. Glad to know someone in that area in the same field.

I'll stop in someday and buy ya lunch!!
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  1:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

I have a laptop that I use for everything that has a computer (buses, not trucks/ vans). We got two seperate cable and software set ups for the two type engines we have (Cat & IH) They are quite expensive (don't remember just how much) and I wouldn't reconmend you buy one for the lone Cat you have unless you plan to buy used units with Cats in them (no new Cats now). As for the IHs you have, if you are planning to buy new buses in the near future the chances are you will be getting a binder if you bid your buses (not my brand if you have read my other posts). So I would say if you are only going to by one or the other right now the decision is like falling off a wall, get the IH set up. I'll bet you'll not have any more trouble with your Cat after you fix the trouble you are having now. I just don't have much trouble out of mine. I have 14 Cats (3126 & C7) and you can tell by my posts that I am not well versed with the trouble I am having as of late (I've been here 16 years and the oldest 3126 is a 1998). Plainly spoken, as a rule I don't have trouble with a Cat! It was a sad day here when they announced that Cat would not build on road enignes any longer.

Good thoughts. I may just start with the IH software and a laptop. Who supplied your software and cables?? I use a oldeeeer laptop and some internet freeware for my OBDI gas burners. I forgot to mention the two Ford ag (03 and 09) trucks we have. Anyone have software for them?

I'll have to tell you the story of my CATs one day. It has been an interesting one.

Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  1:02:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mechan1c

Do you have a dollar figure for the software? How about a supplier?

Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  1:37:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

With software, cables and the prolink I have roughly 6k in mine. Way too much I know.

Ouch!! Rules this setup out for me.

Edited by - CISDbusman on 03/05/2010 1:39:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

lonebustech

United States
79 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  2:38:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CISDBUSMAN If you ever need help with a bus in my area just holler all us CISD( Castleberry I.S.D) need to stick together.
I am usually around.

22 Buses,18 support vehicles,Grounds equip, buffers and vacuums for 9 campuses. 1 Tech. and 2 bays ain't life grand
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  12:53:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just went here http://www.dieselsolution.com and put together a system with software and it was over $7k So your gonna pay no matter what it looks like.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

grandyc

United States
58 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  1:33:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit grandyc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Noregan systems makes universal heavy duty truck software. We use this software for our C2s and although its not as good as our Cat, International or Cummins software its been ok for atleast pulling codes on all the ECMs in a C2 with a Mercedes engine. I have had alot more training using those other softwares so Im not sure of the extent of capabilities of the Noregan. Im sure its better than nothing.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  1:58:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remember what we paid for the IH software. I think it was around $1500. The laptop I have is pretty nice but not a Toughbook. We looked into the Toughbook but it was about twice the price of this thing with a three year warrenty plan. If I drop it or whatever it's covered. Has worked out well for over a year now.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

grandyc

United States
58 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  2:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit grandyc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a large fleet and buy buses almost every year. We usaully try to work the software into the bid when buying new buses.
Go to Top of Page

mrshoolbus2

5 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  4:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit mrshoolbus2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nexiq is or was running a special on Navistar SericeMaxx Pro bundled with their Nexiq cable . Check pricing at you local Navistar (IC) Dealer

http://www.nexiq.com/OEM/Navistar.asp
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  06:36:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laptop:
3-4 Gig of Ram
4300ghz or better processor
320 gig or better Hard Drive
WiFi or Ethernet Connector & 2-6 Meg Internet connection (no Dial Up)
Windows XP-Pro or 7-Pro 32 Bit operating system (much of the diagnostic programming won't work on 64 bit systems)
2 USB Ports Available

Cabling:
[url=http://www.nexiq.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?GID=6&Item_Id=85]NexIQ USB[/url] - This is one of the few cable sets that I have set up to work fairly seemlessly with everyone's software
Navistar (Engine) ServiceMaxx
Navistar (DLB) Data Logic Builder
Cummins Power Sepc
Cummins Insite
Cummins Quick Check
Cat
Detroit Diesel DDDL (does MBE)
Allison DOC
Freightliner/Thomas Service-Link
WabCo Toolbox (ABS)
Bendix A-Comm (ABS)
Eaton Service Ranger (Hybrid & Ultra-Shift)

Point of Purchase:
Snap-On
Thomas Bus Dealer
Detroit Diesel Dealer

I have seensome shops do similar with the Dearborn group cabling

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2010 :  12:47:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JustinB

Laptop:
3-4 Gig of Ram
4300ghz or better processor
320 gig or better Hard Drive
WiFi or Ethernet Connector & 2-6 Meg Internet connection (no Dial Up)
Windows XP-Pro or 7-Pro 32 Bit operating system (much of the diagnostic programming won't work on 64 bit systems)
2 USB Ports Available

Cabling:
[url=http://www.nexiq.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?GID=6&Item_Id=85]NexIQ USB[/url] - This is one of the few cable sets that I have set up to work fairly seemlessly with everyone's software
Navistar (Engine) ServiceMaxx
Navistar (DLB) Data Logic Builder
Cummins Power Sepc
Cummins Insite
Cummins Quick Check
Cat
Detroit Diesel DDDL (does MBE)
Allison DOC
Freightliner/Thomas Service-Link
WabCo Toolbox (ABS)
Bendix A-Comm (ABS)
Eaton Service Ranger (Hybrid & Ultra-Shift)

Point of Purchase:
Snap-On
Thomas Bus Dealer
Detroit Diesel Dealer

I have seensome shops do similar with the Dearborn group cabling

What is the estimated cost here?

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  05:56:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prices some rough $s I've seen quoted. YMMV with your local sources

Description.................. Price
A. Dell Home Inspiron 15........$878.00 Dell.com Win 7 Pro 32 Bit
B. Dell SmBuis Inspiron 5500....$843.00 Dell.com Win 7 Pro 32 Bit
C. (MS Office Sm Buis)..........$149.00 Dell.com
D. Combo B&C....................$972.00
E. NexIQ USB Cabling System.....$850.00
F. Cummins PowerSpec............$000.00
G. Cummins Insite Fleet (Yearly)$450.00
H. Detroit Diesel DDDL..........$775.00
I. Allison DOC..................$725.00
J. Eaton Service Ranger.........$000.00 w/Eaton Certification
K. IC ServiceMaxx...............$800.00
L. IC Data Logic Bldr (DLB).....$800.00
M. WabCo Toolbox................$000.00 google it
N. Bendix A-Comm................$000.00 google it
O. Thomas/FL Service-Link.......$000.00 w/C2 & registering dealer aproval
P. Set Up & Installation $300.00
Q. Library Resource - Thomas Bus$000.00 local to MI TBB Customers
Case: Dell Targus...............$040.00 Dell.com
Case Pelican....................$100-200 caseman.com

Edited by - JustinB on 03/10/2010 05:59:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  06:26:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great deal on the free programs. I'm getting insite from demonoid but not sure if it will be any use to me yet. I don't have the USB link yet. Software seems to be pricey with PC or my Prolink. The sad thing is Prolink iQ doesn't have a cummins program. You have to use heavy duty standard. Two separate programs for CAT one for the C7 and one for 2002 back. I'm getting the IC 123 for it next month.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  06:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Cummins Power Spec is a google-me-this search & it will get you into codes, descriptions, Wheel-Nut behavior patterns, history & clearing codes. If you have a good relationship with your local Cummins Rep, they can plant the trouble trees on your machine from an unlicensed or lapsed version of Insite. (That reminds me, I gotta call Fred)

REal $s
$ 850.00 NexIQ USB
$ 000.00 WabCo
$ 000.00 Bendix
$ 000.00 PowerSpec
$ 000.00 ServiceLink
$ 850.00 Total

Spend the $300 to have sone one who is used to it set it all up. The first time around, a decently compu-literate person will lose 2-3 days doing it on thier own.

A good relationship with your dealer that will hook you up = Priceless

Edited by - JustinB on 03/10/2010 06:57:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  11:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10-4

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

oscar

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  07:27:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit oscar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is anyone aware of any diagnostic software being "server" friendly? For example, can Cat/Cummins/International software reside on a server and be utilized by a tech through a thin client or virtualization? If anyone has experience with this, please feel free to share.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  10:23:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know our tech guy told me that he would rather my Cat and IC software be on my computer and not on the server. Don't really know why. I'll try to remember to ask him the next time I run into him.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

lonebustech

United States
79 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  08:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has any one tried OTC Genisys heavy truck software af so is it any good for use on IC school buses?

Does it even come close to IC's Servicemaxx and IC Data Logic Builder?

I was suppose to get the full IC system and Laptop with our bus purchase this year but instead the board went against my wish to kept only one bus type in the fleet (we have bought 9 IC in the last 4 years)and bought 2 Thomas Built (] at $15000 a piece higher price tag because " They Look Neat " $30,000 thrown away could have use it to buy equipment

Now I need to find the most bang for the buck to help with repairing 2 different type of buses along with learning a new system all over again

Edited by - lonebustech on 03/15/2010 08:51:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  12:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would go with a laptop and the IC programs from the nexiq site. If I had to do over again I would just get all the programs for laptop.

Neil deGrasse Tyson

Edited by - Wolf0r on 03/15/2010 12:49:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  1:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lonebustech - Follow WolfOr's advise & then do the following
- work with your TBB dealer's trainer to get on with accessfreioghtliner.com & load into Service-Link for the C2 chassis diag system.
- Get with your cummins people to download powerspec
Both are available at $0

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  1:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is some photos of my Nexiq monitoring actuation pressure on the 3126b.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  04:53:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time to revisite this as our new Supt has approved purchase of needed equiptment. Bad part is our end of the year is coming up and he wants the $$ to come out if this years budget.

I planned a laptop and needed cables (NEXIQ most likely) but really need additional help on what software to purchase. I have 2 Maxxforce DT466 busses,one 3126 Cat,04 and 09 Ford Super Duty and numerous smaller Chevy gas burners (1989 and up).

Will IH's software cover the ABS brakes on their busses also or is this a seperate software package I need to look into?

Any additional help to my year+ long question would be appreciated. :-)
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  08:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oscar

Is anyone aware of any diagnostic software being "server" friendly? For example, can Cat/Cummins/International software reside on a server and be utilized by a tech through a thin client or virtualization? If anyone has experience with this, please feel free to share.

Most software will not let that happen because of licensing issues.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  08:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought about selling my Nexiq and buying a Toughbook.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  08:23:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have it written into our spec that the bus manufacturer will supply us with manuals, software and cables. You may want to see if you can put this in your state specs.

Body and/or chassis suppliers, including integral suppliers, shall provide each school district
purchasing school buses with one complete set of the most current service manuals available or
access to them electronically at no additional cost during the life of the bus., including body,
chassis, engine, wiring locator, and body parts manuals at no additional cost. Body and/or chassis
suppliers shall also supply one copy of the first level diagnostic software for the engine, brakes
and transmission or access to them at no additional cost during the life of the bus. Body and chassis suppliers shall provide a downloadable version at the local districts request.
Manuals and software shall be shipped on the basis of one complete set per school district, with
the bus invoice, prior to delivery of the completed school bus. If the new bus data port is incompatible with the previous year’s data cables the vendor shall supply new cables on the basis
of one complete cable per school district

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  09:43:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We were using a Cat Pocket-tech until we got the 2008 emmission engines. Then we went to the Cat E-tech program. Works well but is expensive. $5000 down plus $1500 a year for the lease that includes maintainance and upgrades. The program is clocked so that if you exceed one year without sending it back to CAT you cannot log in.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  11:37:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For 5K you should get training, tech support 24/7 and some damn free tools. They have us all over a barrel. As a technician 5 grand for a tool out of my pocket just won't happen. Unless I make 10 grand back using it. I am soooooooo glad we opted out on the '07 emission cats.

Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

skydiverbill

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2011 :  1:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have or tried the blue tooth connection, we have our usb connectors wearing out. Something to remember is the nexIQ can be repaired for $125.00 unless the board nees replace then it's $250. We had a different make and it became $800 paper weight because the connector was worn out. I wish we had a android app with the blue tooth adaptor. Nice to dream :P

gravity powered fun from 13,000 feet= skydiving
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000