Crown and Gillig Buses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  12:24:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious to who is still running Crown and Gillig School Busses? Don't see many of them on the road anymore....

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  01:02:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Crowns in Washington? Bainbridge Island Public School District, Edmonds SD, as well as Peninsula are the only two. Oh wait, Fife School District has two holdouts, also.

Gilligs? It's even more bleak than that.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  8:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crowns in California:

Los Angeles Unified School District
El Rio School District
Pleasant Valley School District
Ventura Unified School District

That's all I know of...I'm missing a bunch.
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  3:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yelm has there Gillig and Crown up for public sale. Looks like $1200.00 each.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  6:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a website listing the buses for sale? I'd be interested in looking at the pictures.
Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  8:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Longview is down to two, one I believe is now a spare, with one (#8) still on a regular route. Oh, in addition to that they have one which is a parts bus. Three were replaced this year with new HDX's, under a department of Ecology grant which required the old units to be scrapped :( Two local churches also have Crowns, and one has a Gillig.

Wahkiakum School District still has a few Crowns in use.

K.W.R.L. had a few tandem axle Crowns as recently as a year ago but I am not sure if they still have them, as they have acquired quite a few new HDX's.

The only school district I know of that still has a Gillig is Shelton.
Go to Top of Page

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2010 :  9:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My Highschool has 2 1980 Gillig 855s that are used as last resort spares (once a year, if that). Both of these buses are 78 passenger with automatic transmissions. They are currently listed on Schoolbuscentral.com but more detailed photos will be available on the updated gilligcoaches.net

My old middleschool has a 1985 Crown Supercoach tande...90 passengers with a manual transmission. This is another last resort bus, used maybe 3 times a year. Videos of this bus are on my youtube account.
The same school also has a 1986 Gillig Phantom (picture in my sig). This is a route bus.

I know that another local middleschool has a Gillig 855 along with a Gillig Phantom, and I still see several Crowns in yards/on roads near here.

Go to Top of Page

C2FAN

United States
114 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2010 :  06:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Needles, CA still uses Gilligs. Don't know which model but I assume the Phantom. I passed two of them on the road yesterday. Every time I see them I think about how nice they look.
Go to Top of Page

wstrnflt@aol.com

1 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2013 :  01:32:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit wstrnflt@aol.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still have a retired 69 Gillig School Bus with a V-8 CAT diesel and a reverse mounted Spicer 5 speed manual with an upside down shift pattern. A challenge (and a blast!) to drive, and worth every bead of sweat! I just drive it around the neighborhood from time to time, just because I can. California is forcing districts to crush the old Crowns and Gilligs as a way to reduce diesel emissions (mine SMOKES and STINKS!), so you won't see many after the end of 2013 except in the hands of collectors. The ridiculously heavy all steel Gillig makes the newer buses feel like paper and cardboard. I love the sweet "wail" of the unmuffled exhaust, echoing off the buildings and bridges, as I drive it. Straight exhaust was legal on school buses and fire coaches back in the day. They felt it helped people to notice them and made it safer for the passengers. They sure notice mine, with all the noise and soot! Some people give me thumbs up, and some thumbs down. I just keep smiling!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000