Posterboard Bus Models/SuperiorGMC1963
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fathertime1968

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  10:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw that SuperiorGMC1963 has a posterboard model of a 1996 Crown by Carpenter body on an International chassis. I would like to get a hold of him to see if he makes them or if he bought them? If he bought them, I would like to know where I can purchase a few. If he does make them, I would like to see if he would be interested in making me a few. I would gladly pay him whatever he would charge for his time, materials, and work. I have wanted a model of an early 1980's and an early 1990's classic Carpenter body on an International chassis for quite a few years and have been hitting nothing but dead-end's with my search for about 15 years now. If anyone could relay this message to him somehow, I would be very greatful! I'm trying to get them for me and my bus driver who retired four years ago. Those were her favorite year/body/chassis buses that she drove, they were also my favorite year/body/chassis buses that I rode when I attended school. I'm still fascinated by these buses to this day. My e-mail address is fathertime1968@comcast.net if anyone would like to reach me.

Edited by - Fathertime1968 on 12/03/2009 11:44:14 PM

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  09:19:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've got mail

Ted

Go to Top of Page

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  4:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ted, I know you do this as a hobby and don't take orders...however I think it would be a good way for you to make a (maybe not-so-)quick buck, as I am sure that plenty of people would be willing to pay a ton of money for what you do...and you could still work at your own pace...
I would LOVE to be able to make models as detailed as you do...but I have neither the skills nor the time, lol

Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  6:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lifestar Fe

Ted, I know you do this as a hobby and don't take orders...however I think it would be a good way for you to make a (maybe not-so-)quick buck, as I am sure that plenty of people would be willing to pay a ton of money for what you do...and you could still work at your own pace...
I would LOVE to be able to make models as detailed as you do...but I have neither the skills nor the time, lol

+1!

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!

Edited by - Jake on 12/05/2009 6:48:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  08:37:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Depending on 'time' I occasionally will build a bus for a bus enthusiast. But it's certainly not about making a quick (or not so quick) buck. The cost of materials would really surprise most of you. I'm always buying either paints, adhesives, tape, posterboard, MonoKote, foamboard, illustration board, markers, vinyl, reflective tape, styrene plastic, cutting knives, etc. Wheels are the biggest problem since the ones I use on newer buses I can no longer find. The last ones I found went for over $30 each. I had to buy the whole toy they came with! My pre-2003 buses had much cheaper wheels and tires, just $5 per bus at most. Time though is always the biggest issue. I just don't have enough. I always want to build buses for my personal collection. Each bus takes at least 30 hours to build. Custom (special options) buses take even longer.

Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  09:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would to see a 85-90 GMC with a Thomas Body. Are your buses modeled after real buses form Traverse City? My hat is off your work. They really do look awesome!!!

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  11:25:55 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd imagine that it is hard and expensive...thats why i can't do it, lol!
Well, if you ever feel like making one for someone else, let me know...I'd be willing to pay!!
I really love how detailed your models are...I have never been in many of the buses you model (in real life), so seeing the interior pictures makes it easier to telll the layout of the real bus.
Your models are also surprisingly big! usually bigger models look worse because they have less detail...but not so with your models!
Anyway, I love your work!
How many models do you have total right now?

Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  05:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hardybusman

I would to see a 85-90 GMC with a Thomas Body. Are your buses modeled after real buses form Traverse City? My hat is off your work. They really do look awesome!!!

Since 1980 Traverse City Area Public Schools (MI) has purchased primarily Thomas buses. At one time I tried to build only actual buses in their fleet but I gave that up around 1984. Now I just build whatever I want to build whether Traverse City has it or not. I don't even use Traverse City's numbering system since it's a bit complicated and I prefer my own.
I built many Thomas GM's from 85-91 and have pics of them. A couple of them are still around up at my dad's house in Michigan. If I get a chance I will scan the pics and post them on my Webshots albums. Glad you like the buses!
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  05:59:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd imagine that it is hard and expensive...thats why i can't do it, lol!
Well, if you ever feel like making one for someone else, let me know...I'd be willing to pay!!
I really love how detailed your models are...I have never been in many of the buses you model (in real life), so seeing the interior pictures makes it easier to telll the layout of the real bus.
Your models are also surprisingly big! usually bigger models look worse because they have less detail...but not so with your models!
Anyway, I love your work!
How many models do you have total right now?

Currently I have about 130 buses. Half are up in northern Michigan and the rest are with me in SE Georgia. All of my buses from 2000 on are in Georgia.
I switched to better looking disc wheels and tires in 2003. Only problem is that they are now impossible to find and I can't bear to get rid of the ones I have. The size of my buses is approximately 1:20 scale. A 65 passenger conventional is about 19-20 inches long, 4 1/4" wide and about 5 1/2" high from ground to roof top.
I figure that the cost to build each bus is around $50-60 with the newer wheels. Pre-2003 wheels (spoke type) were made from a cheaper hard plastic and came from a very inexpensive toy which at the time (1980-2000) cost between just $2 - $5.
Not always but there are times I can be persuaded to build someone a bus or even part with one of my older ones. Thank you for the compliments, they're always appreciated. And I always tend to think my buses look better in person than in photos.
Go to Top of Page

Fathertime1968

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  10:07:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The buses are of very fine detail! I didn't realize how big they were when I was looking at them online. That's very cool especially with all the fine details!!! Thank you Ted for getting a hold of me, you do the best work and detail I've ever seen on a model bus!!! You have been a big help to me, I'm a school bus enthusiast since the age of 9, but I don't know a lot about them as far as options and things like that go. Thanks again!!!

Edited by - Fathertime1968 on 12/07/2009 10:56:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fathertime1968

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  10:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep up the very nice work!!! I'm sure that you have made quite a few people happy with these models!!!
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  4:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ted really does extraordinary work on his posterboard bus models. I am the proud owner of one!

And yes, Ted, they do look better in person...once they are out of the box, of course!
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  5:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ted,I drive a 90 GMC Thomas and have always liked the looks of the bus. If you find one I would like to see it! Thanks

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  1:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hardybusman

Ted,I drive a 90 GMC Thomas and have always liked the looks of the bus. If you find one I would like to see it! Thanks

Found one

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2844080940104262433eGjiNV?vhost=good-times

This was the last Thomas GMC conventional I made.
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2009 :  5:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I REALLY appreciate you posting that!

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2009 :  3:30:04 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ted, what is your email? (If you don't want to post it here, you can email me at ksw.56@hotmail.com )
Thanks!!

Go to Top of Page

trafficguy95

3 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  11:53:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit trafficguy95's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is there anyway I can contact SuperiorGMC1963 by email?
Go to Top of Page

trafficguy95

3 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2010 :  11:01:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit trafficguy95's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm also like you Ted, building stuff but when I look at the stuff you do with the poster board I say WOW... So I attempt to do the same thing but the end result is a big hunk of trash. I'd love to understand your way of doing this, I'm a young collector and it crushes me in the pit of my stomach to see such good work but not being able to contact the owner/artist. Could you send me your email address at www.trafficguy55@gmail.com. Please this is amazing, thank you!
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2010 :  2:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trafficguy95

I'm also like you Ted, building stuff but when I look at the stuff you do with the poster board I say WOW... So I attempt to do the same thing but the end result is a big hunk of trash. I'd love to understand your way of doing this, I'm a young collector and it crushes me in the pit of my stomach to see such good work but not being able to contact the owner/artist. Could you send me your email address at www.trafficguy55@gmail.com. Please this is amazing, thank you!

I tried the email address above and it was returned to me. I can be contacted at: theronpelky@att.net
Go to Top of Page

trafficguy95

3 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  07:26:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit trafficguy95's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I Emailed You, Sorry it took so long to respond.
Go to Top of Page

freightlinerbus2

2 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  08:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit freightlinerbus2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey,I was wondering if you could make a 2003 Freightliner School Bus, I was really sad when i found out they got retired a while ago. I think they are great buses. I'd be willing to pay any price you name for one.
Go to Top of Page

freightlinerbus2

2 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  08:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit freightlinerbus2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SuperiorGMC1963, could you email me your reply at freightlinerbus2@aol.com i would really appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

Alex403

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  3:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have time... bu no skill LOLZ

IC Bus.. The company that makes Thomas Built fan hide in shame. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.51 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000