New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

83ChevroletWayne

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  2:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone out there is having the same problem out there with any 2010 C2 models? One of my fellow bus driver's is having a problem with her C2.

Out of 10 of them in our fleet at the moment, her bus is having a warning light problem that can't seem to be solved.

When she activates the amber lights and opens the door the "reds" don't come on. They just keep flashing amber. She turns off the master and then turns it back on again. After this the reds sometimes will come on, but very often it will just do the same thing with the ambers again.

They (our mechanics) will give her a spare to drive for the rest of her run. Meanwhile they take the bus back to the garage and put another door switch on it. This bus has gone through 5 door switches in a week!

Has anyone had this same problem?...Just curious!

Thanks!

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  3:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Changing the door switch will not resolve this. They are thinking too old school where the door switch has two seperate circuits, one for the door, one for the warning system.

All of the switch functions are computer controled, if the door is opening when the switch is flipped, then the door switch is fine.

Being a 2010, this issue should be a dealer warranty. Probably a poor ground or programming glitch.
Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2009 :  11:20:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may want to check out the proximity locator switch mounted on the door air-cylinder. This is the switch that tells the computer when the door is opened or closed. Depending on what the switch is telling the computer, your lights will activate.
I would dare bet that the sensor is not parked in the right spot on the cylider to read where the internal piston is. These can bee a bit of a bugger to get positioned correctly. Your best bet is to compare it to another AG-2(same air door) equipped C2. Once you get the proximity switch properly in place, mark an outline of it's position. It'll save you some grief next time.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

83ChevroletWayne

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  06:58:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info guys. Just an update on this issue:

They took the bus in the shop yesterday and actually put a switch of their own on the door itself. The whole system still works the same, but they kind of "by-passed" the whole magnetic cylinder assembly above the door.

This allows the ambers to flash, and as soon as the door opens the new switch on the door panel itself triggers the reds to come on. Apparently another mechanic in a neigboring district came up with the idea and it seems to work good.

I guess it just saves the headache of playing around with the cylinder to get the adjustment perfect.

We have a lot of bumpy roads and potholes here in PEI (Canada) and this most likely caused the adjument to go out of whack.

Go to Top of Page

JustinB
Advanced Member

United States
490 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  08:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The adjustment is is to move the switch on the cylinder & tighten it back down. You will soend more time r&r-ing the fascia cover than you will spend loosening the clamp, fiddling with the switch position & retightening the clamp.
The switch is white rectangle on the side of the cylinder 4-6" from the front. Its band clamped to the exterior of the cylinder.
All-in-all this is a 10 minute job with a cordles drill & a screwdriver. Ten minutes includes getting tools from the tool-box & rummaging around the workbench for your torx set & returning tools to their proper place.

I may not know the answer but I can usually find who does.
Go to Top of Page

bcressey

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  10:14:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit bcressey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Justin is right. Also if your door switch is on the right side of the steering column towards the HVAC controls area, you may want to relocate it to the switch cabinet. Our state used to requre R/S warning light controls but is not anymore, we noticed a decrease in warning light issues where people relocated them to the L/S of the driver. This may change the tasking by the modules or just take some extra harness out of play, not sure. Usually replacing the door switch is just throwing parts at it not fixing the root cause.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2019 :  03:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2010 freightliner c2
cummins cm2150
allison

Just had one act up this morning reds stay on but if you flip the master on/off and close the door they will shut off I will check that proxy sensor
Great forum glad as **** I found this

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000