Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  7:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Type A school and commercial bus manufacturer Starcraft Bus is set to stretch its legs into the larger vehicle market next year after signing an agreement with Toyota's Hino Trucks.

http://stnonline.com/home/top-stories/1435-starcraft-hino-trucks-to-partner-on-type-c-school-bus

____

Looks like they will be trying the turn the school bus business upside down by competing on cost. This has been Starcraft's business model for commercial buses, and it has paid off with them receiving huge market share.

This should be interesting...

Edited by - RichBusman on 03/11/2010 6:23:32 PM

03CV200
Top Member

United States
740 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  7:42:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit 03CV200's Homepage  Send 03CV200 an AOL message  Click to see 03CV200's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes, it should be interesting. From what I hear, Hino medium duty trucks are pretty reliable. There are quite a few Hino dealers near me, and they seem to be pretty popular. I wonder who will sell these buses?

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  8:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I was reading the article I kept thinking: "Maybe it's April Fools Day and this is some kind of joke." But it's certainly NOT April!! Very interesting. A Starcraft Hino. I would have never come up with that combo in a million years.

Ted

Go to Top of Page

Lifestar Fe
Top Member

United States
521 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  8:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Lifestar Fe's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is a complete surprise...caught me completely off gaurd! Who would think, that in this economy especially, that another company would enter the business!
This should be an interesting looking bus...I wonder how well it will sell? My district has been going with the cheapest bid...but if the quality isn't there, then who knows...lol.

It seems almost like the current Starcraft Type A isn't mass produced...I don't see alot of pictures of them and have never seen one in person...wonder how widely districuted the conventional will be.

Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  03:24:41 AM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This isnt the worst idea they could possibly come out with. I've seen lots of Hino trucks around here but none on the side of the road :) I think the starcraft is ugly but maybe they'll design something worth buying over the winter.

Oh yeah, made in Indiana! The state feels empty without Wayne and Carpenter. I think Goshen is about a 2 1/2 hr drive from here so expect some factory ad manufacturing pictures when its up and going.

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Go to Top of Page

Bluebird207

20 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  2:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bluebird207's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I always liked the carpenter buses and yes i would like to see them come back again,but will it ever happen? Btw, what does a Hino bus and truck look like? I don't think i've seen one.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2009 :  3:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I can't find the darn thing , there is a picture of a Hino Blue Bird conventional that was built a while back. Does anyone still have that picture?

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  01:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 78fordwayne

I can't find the darn thing , there is a picture of a Hino Blue Bird conventional that was built a while back. Does anyone still have that picture?

I'm not sure about a BB conventional, but School Bus Explorer has some 80's All American-like tranist buses with Hino chassis.
----------------------

I love the idea of a Hino chassis school bus, but why the hell did they have to team up with Spacetrash, I mean Starcraft My guees would be it would be offered with either a 220 hp or 260hp 7.7L I6 diesel, and would be paired with either a Allision 2500 or 3000, and may I possibly dare think they would offer an Eaton ultrashift

They used to and are still big on cabover trucks in other countries so maybe we could eventauly see a type D bus to be made if the C takes off.

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  09:38:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure how I feel about the two teaming up with each other. I've never been huge on the looks of the Hino chassis, and definitely not a fan of the looks of a Starcraft body. I had the chance to look at a Starcraft very closely and saw that it was very cheaply built, everything but the Chevy part of the bus that I saw was fiberglass. I think this whole thing will make Starcraft look good by having a respected chassis maker, and reverse itself and make Hino look bad for teaming up with such a cheap company.

I would absolutely love to see a new product though. To be honest, I'm sick and tired of the same old buses being produced day after day, something totally new, not a redesign, would be fantastic.
Go to Top of Page

C2FAN

United States
114 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2009 :  6:28:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 03CV200

Yes, it should be interesting. From what I hear, Hino medium duty trucks are pretty reliable. There are quite a few Hino dealers near me, and they seem to be pretty popular. I wonder who will sell these buses?

GREAT. All the super competitive school bus business needs is someone to come in and offer a super cheap product. I agree Rich, this should be interesting.....

Hino engines are pretty dependable but let's face it, The whole package is what counts. 85% of the problems I see are with issues unrelated to the engine.
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  04:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Knowing absolutely NOTHING about Starcraft, I think this is exciting. There is nothing wrong with adding another option for the industry. Not that this is a very objective way of looking at it, but I really miss the variety our industry once had.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  04:58:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jared

Knowing absolutely NOTHING about Starcraft, I think this is exciting. There is nothing wrong with adding another option for the industry. Not that this is a very objective way of looking at it, but I really miss the variety our industry once had.

Counterpoint; If succesfull this possibly would finish off Bluebird and lead to more outsourcing and cost cutting measures by IC and Thomas to be competitive.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

Girardin_71
Top Member

Canada
626 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  05:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Girardin_71 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Starcraft made commercial mini buses for years and this is their second attempt making school buses. I think that having a Hino chassis school bus would be a change to the school bus industry.

Girardin/Blue-Bird are my favorite school buses

http://www.g71bdpt.net
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  2:19:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If its the same company that made some of the starcrap pop up campers we looked at a couple years ago, it seems this company can't make anything well

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  2:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is. Starcraft does all types of RV and camper stuff.
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2009 :  4:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe Hino better think hard about this. They have very goo dependable truck and engine combos and mounting under a cheap body might scar their reputation. I would like to see that big H on the front of a bus. I always thought the conventional Hino looked a lot like a Freightliner.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

YellowBox
Advanced Member

Puerto Rico (USA)
254 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2009 :  09:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HINO TRUCKS (TOYOTA)HAVE WON CONSUMER'S BEST AWARD IN CLAS 7 AND 8 TRUCKS FOR SOME TIME. THEY HAVE DEPENDABLE ENGINES THAT ARE VERY FUEL EFICIENT.

NOW OVER THE CHEAP-BUILT STARCRAFT, SOMETIMES BUILDING IT CHEAP COMES WITH THE PROBLEMS. I WOULD RATHER PAY FOR SOME QUALITY THAN SAVE SOME MONEY CUTTING SOME CORNERS.

HINO 338 CLASS 7 TRUCK CHASSIS.

HINO 358 CLASS 8 CHASSIS

HINO 165 /185 CLASS 4 AND 5 TRUCK CHASSIS...(IDEAL FOR ANOTHER TYPE B SCHOOL BUS????)

BOY DO I WANT TO SEE SOME TYPE B and C SCHOOL BUS BUILT ON KENWORTH'S T170 /T270/T370 CHASSIS.

Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  08:51:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didnt know Hino built a class 8 truck. Thats very interesting. Do they have their own engine in the 8 trucks? Will they be 2010 compliant with emissions?

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

YellowBox
Advanced Member

Puerto Rico (USA)
254 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  10:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hardybusman

I didnt know Hino built a class 8 truck. Thats very interesting. Do they have their own engine in the 8 trucks? Will they be 2010 compliant with emissions?

They do make class 8 trucks.And they will go with SCR to be EPA 2010 Compliant.

About that idea of STAR-CRAFT using FIBER GLASS or COMPOSITE MATERIALS for the roof of a SCHOOL BUS I think it is not a good idea.
Go to Top of Page

03CV200
Top Member

United States
740 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2009 :  11:35:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit 03CV200's Homepage  Send 03CV200 an AOL message  Click to see 03CV200's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hardybusman

The 358 is only considered a class 8 because it has a GVW rating greater than 33,000lbs (35,000lbs to be exact), and is only available in Canada. The 338 (Class 7) is the biggest one sold in the US.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  3:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never seen one of the bigger trucks but lots of medium duty trucks. A good friend of mine has a cabover speced. to pump septic tanks and he swears by it for dependability. Iwould like to see this deal come to life but I feel it will perish like the Ford Bluebird that never came to be in 200?ish.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

Former School Bus M8

143 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  5:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone heard anything about this lately? If this happens, do you think this will put Bluebird out of business? Sadly I think it will unless Bluebird does something drastic. I could be wrong though things have really flipped around in this industry over the past ten years, maybe they will again.

School Bus M8
Go to Top of Page

RichBusman
Advanced Member

453 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  6:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was an article in STN about this a couple of months ago. Prototype units are being built now or shortly, and the buses will be unveiled in time for the state/national show circuits which start in the coming months.

Whether or not they put Blue Bird or other manufacturers in a world of hurt is to be decided I guess. Keep in mind that some Starcraft dealers sell IC, so I don't know if IC allows competing products to be sold.

Interesting times.
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  6:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like for 2011 Hino has redesigned the hood and grille assembly which I think has a more attractive wider stance than the outgoing narrow bullet shape. I still think the windshield is far to vertical and therefore makes the cab goofy looking. Eh, what ya gonna do.

Edited by - Jared on 03/12/2010 6:26:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

thomasc2

United States
93 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  5:19:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomasc2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have always liked Hino trucks, the looks of them are very nice, inside and out. I think this will be very interesting to see, and I am excited to find out what they will look like. Hino also has a "semi" truck, used with LTL to pull 28 and 53 foot trailers.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  4:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
So now that the prototype has been built, anyone care to share the pictures ? I know someone out there has to have them

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  5:19:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Edited by - Kodie on 10/11/2010 5:20:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Former School Bus M8

143 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  7:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kind of like it. I also like the fact that there is more of a choice out ther now.

School Bus M8
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  10:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote

See more photos:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/album.php?aid=262268&id=95493799527

This bus is going to give the industry a run for its money.

Edited by - Jake on 10/12/2010 10:10:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  11:14:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^The last time someone said their bus was going to give the industry a run for their money was back in 1995, I believe, and where are they now?

I hope this bus can make it!
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  2:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They all look good when they're shiny and new! It will be interesting to see how this develops...
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  4:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, it is certainly great to have some options and healthy competition on the large bus front. From an initial design perspective, I think the designers tried to make the front roof cap/windshield area as cartoon-ish as possible. I dont see any similarities with any other bus body company besides maybe the rear roof cap looking sort of like a Mid-Bus from the 90s. Its definitely a different design that one might even wonder how much Japanese influence the designers had. I like how the Hino hood seems to be shorter than the others and less vacuum cleaner like. I did however just look at a 2010 C2 picture I took the other day and the C2 looks far more solid in its design. The electrical access panel on this bus sort of looks tacked on for instance. I'm also trying to figure out how those wipers work being so close to the center of the windshield. The switch panel and much of the dash area (minus Hino's contributions) looks very low budget however I would hold out hope as Starcraft can always improve on this stuff down the road. It takes a lot of capital to build a prototype like this.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  4:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That thing looks no more solid than their commercial offering. Also, I don't want to hand any more of the US economy over to Toyota.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  4:56:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IF they actualy build and sell these things (and I think that is a HUGE if), at least it should help keep our dearest 3 others' prices in check, and if you've priced a type C lately you know how badly that is needed.

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 10/12/2010 4:57:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jake
Top Member

USA
3527 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  9:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jake's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.stnonline.com/home/top-stories/2790-starcraft-type-c

Also to note: standard seatbelts.

Yellow & Black
A new forum community dedicated to school bus driving, operations, maintenance and enthusiasts!
Come join the discussion!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  07:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jake

http://www.stnonline.com/home/top-stories/2790-starcraft-type-c

Also to note: standard seatbelts.

I'll give them that one...it's pretty smart. I've never understood why IC, BB, and Thomas wouldn't simply align and offer seat belts as standard, and avoid government getting into any of it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000