Penny throwers cause driver to stop school bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2009 :  5:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Penny throwers cause driver to stop school bus

By Suzanne Jacobson

August 7, 2009
The Payson Roundup
A one-sided penny war erupted Monday on a school bus when at least one student began throwing copper coins at the driver.

The driver, who remains unidentified, stopped the bus on the side of Houston Mesa Road, just off Highway 87 and reportedly refused to move until the offender confessed. It never happened.

“He was mad because nobody would ’fess up,” said mom Christine Rehm, whose 15-year-old son sat trapped on the bus and had a resulting asthma attack.

Students began calling parents on cell phones to pick them up.

“They sat there for almost an hour,” Rehm said. “When I called the bus barn, they made it sound like no big deal. To keep all those kids on the bus in that heat, yeah there was a problem.”

The police even responded. Gila County Sheriff Lt. Tim Scott said an officer arrived at the bus and found pennies lying on the floor, although none of the students would reveal the throwers. Police will not seek charges, Scott said.

Rehm and the school district disagree about how long students sat on the bus. Rehm said her son was still on the bus at 4:30 p.m. although school ends at 3:25 p.m.

Superintendent Casey O’Brien said the bus stayed still for about a half an hour.

“The bus driver acted appropriately and most importantly, in the interest of student safety,” O’Brien wrote in an e-mail. “To stop the bus, call and wait for assistance was prudent. To have continued driving while being subjected to that type of serious distraction would have placed the children’s safety in jeopardy.” ...

Click Here for full story

Free school bus safety ads on Facebook - You do not have to have a Facebook account to view and download these ads. (Members see more resources.)

This free template is for use in schools and transportation departments to help promote school bus safety. Not for Resale use. Contact if release needed. You do not have to be a member to download this template. PDF Template

Sam
Advanced Member

United States
390 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  05:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really glad Ms. Rehm's child does not ride my bus. Kudos to Superintendent O'Brien for backing up the driver. I wonder what the outcome was - did the driver have to take any students home whose parents couldn't pick them up? I'm glad the driver did what he/she did, and I'm glad teh driver was not identified. What a great start to the school year!
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  08:17:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Precisely why every bus needs video systems. Sure wish more operators saw the benefits in spending the money!

Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  08:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'll second the video camera, although I wonder if the B&W VHS Bus-Watch in my route bus would catch an object as small as a penny being thrown. The Board of Ed was supposed to vote on upgrading us to digital systems this year, but I don't know what the result was.

The driver did the right thing, that situation is a serious safety hazard. I'd question the enforcement of bus rules prior to this incident (and why students thought they could get away with that behavior), but I can't think of a more appropriate response than to stop, secure the bus, and request assistance from school administration and/or police.
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  08:43:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's nice to see the school system backed up the driver for making the right safety deceision to stop and pull over. Parents have no clue how things like can cause an accident I bet they wouldn't be happy if they where driving their minivan with their child doing at them but try doing our job with 40-70 some students on it they couldn't handle it but they are mad if their child dosen't get home fast enough.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

Spencer

United States
188 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2009 :  09:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Video System on my bus would have caught who it was and with my driver that would have been imediate suspension off the bus for the rest of the year with no questions asked. Thats one thing I like about are disciplene policy.

New School Bus Site:
www.schoolbuslover.smfnew.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird62
Top Member

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  7:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gotta love parents! It was probably her kid throwing the pennies!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000