New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

YellowBox
Advanced Member

Puerto Rico (USA)
254 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  1:40:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HERE YOU HAVE SOME PICTURES OF A MACK B SERIES, SCHOOL BUS.

NICE AND VERY RARE. THE MACK B61 SCHOOL BUS.

IS THAT A SUPERIOR BUS BODY ON A MACK B61 CHASSIS????

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  3:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Great find! Thanks for sharing!

Wayne body... You can tell by the windshield and the Vision-style glass by the door. Also the rounded rear end, but since many a brands back then featured rounded rears, the three-bump rub rails on skirt are conclusively Wayne.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

YellowBox
Advanced Member

Puerto Rico (USA)
254 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  3:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE IT RESTORED,AND WITH THE MACK B61-T CHROME GRILLE
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  5:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is incredible. Where did you find these pics?

Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  6:22:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A rarity indeed. Thanks for sharing. Where were these photos taken?

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  6:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What engine did Mack use for these?
Go to Top of Page

Allamericanre
Advanced Member

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  7:00:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow is all I have to say. I didn't even know Mack did conventional chassis for buses! This is just the best combination of bus and body ever.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/schoolbus/

Go to Top of Page

03CV200
Top Member

United States
740 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  7:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit 03CV200's Homepage  Send 03CV200 an AOL message  Click to see 03CV200's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Allamericanre

Wow is all I have to say. I didn't even know Mack did conventional chassis for buses! This is just the best combination of bus and body ever.

Well, the very first Mack truck was a bus, a 40hp 20 passenger, lol.

-Dave

Edited by - 03CV200 on 02/18/2009 7:25:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  9:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A long time ago I asked a question here about who built the first diesel-powered conventional, this may very well be the first.
Go to Top of Page

poor_driver

162 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  12:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just Lovely!
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  2:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by International-9.0

What engine did Mack use for these?

Mack used their own diesel/gasoline engines in most of the B-Models. Looking at the badges, this one appears to have a Thermodyne Diesel.
Go to Top of Page

YellowBox
Advanced Member

Puerto Rico (USA)
254 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  04:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich

Wow, that is incredible. Where did you find these pics?

I FOUND THE PICTURES IN

www.bigmacktrucks.com

GO TO THE BMT MEMBERS GALLERY.
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  6:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for finding those pics AND thanks for sharing! That bus appears to be in incredible condition. That is only the second school bus I've seen on a Mack of that vintage. Reeeeaaally amazing!

Ted

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  6:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the person who bought the school bus has a beautiful collection of restored Macks... so this one is probably going to a GREAT home. Hopefully someone on here can get in touch with them so we can find out more about the bus and their plans.

Go to Top of Page

YellowBox
Advanced Member

Puerto Rico (USA)
254 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  04:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich

Looks like the person who bought the school bus has a beautiful collection of restored Macks... so this one is probably going to a GREAT home. Hopefully someone on here can get in touch with them so we can find out more about the bus and their plans.

YOU CAN GET IN TOUCH WITH THE FORUM MEMBER FROM www.bigmacktrucks.com THAT POSTED THE PICTURES OF THE MACK B61 SCHOOL BUS. HE GOES BY THE NICK NAME OF bmodelsrus

HERE IS THE LINK TO HIS PROFILE ON THE FORUM

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?showuser=1293

THERE IS A SEND E-MAIL OPTION, BUT I DO NOT KNOW IF YOU HAVE TO BE REGISTERED AS A FORUM MEMBER IN ORDER TO SEND HIM AN E-MAIL

BUT GIVE IT A TRY AND MAYBE YOU CAN JOIN THEM AND TRACK THE PROGRESS OF THE SCHOOL BUS.
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  6:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a neat bus! WOW

Your Child's Safety is Our Business
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  3:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sure is a neat bus!

I've never seen one, but when I was a kid (late 50's, early 60's)...I bet 9 out of 10 heavy trucks were B Model Macks....trash trucks, cement mixers, dump trucks, road tractors, you name it.

My neighbor worked for a big construction company and whenever it snowed a lot, he'd bring a B model dump truck home and plow the whole neighborhood with it....no sense waiting days for the State trucks to show up. I always rode with him plowing...remember it like it was yesterday!
Go to Top of Page

dmoney127
Advanced Member

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  6:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Send dmoney127 an AOL message  Send dmoney127 an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
I love the fact that it has an exterior air cleaner. Now, if it (the air cleaner) had the giant stack found on some Macks. 8)
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  05:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Mack made the chassis for a variety of uses, but probably mostly for Fire Trucks and rescue aparatus. I drove a B-61 back in the day that had a duplex transmission and a 180 HP Mack Thermodyne.(they were most all Thermodynes in the 50's and early 60's)Many of the over the road trucks used Triplex and Quadroplex transmissions with three and four gear shift levers....I thought two was plenty!! We had one here for use in our Fire Academy (now defunct) that was a Mack chassied pumper.

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2009 :  09:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got word today that this school bus is located in Bethlehem, CT. Supposedly, it is being completely restored, and will be at the Bethlehem Truck Show on June 13th & 14th, located at the Bethlehem Fairgrounds, 384 Main St. North (Route 61) in Bethlehem, CT. Might be worth the drive!

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

Siamak2243

2 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  05:04:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Siamak2243's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Many thanks for photo you have uploaded for Mack B61 Schoolbus. Since I have nostalgia about it, I would be grateful if you send me the images with high resolution. I want to print them & put it in my room.

Regards,
Siamak
Go to Top of Page

Siamak2243

2 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2010 :  05:21:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Siamak2243's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Many thanks for photo you have uploaded for Mack B61 Schoolbus. Since I have nostalgia about it, I would be grateful if you send me the images with high resolution. I want to print them & put it in my room.

My email: siamak_kasravi@yahoo.com

Regards,
Siamak
Go to Top of Page

vbacon

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2010 :  06:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vbacon's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That is a nice bus. I never knew that Mack had a bus chassis. But back then, the bus market was a lot different and I am sure that chassis manufacturers weren't afraid to invest in the bus market.
Go to Top of Page

TimB

1 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  1:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit TimB's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That bus used to be mine! I’m in California and I sold it about 15 years ago to a collector on the east coast. My wife and I were talking about it yesterday and we decided to do a google search to see if we could find anything about it, since it’s such a rare bus. We were thrilled to find these photos. It was originally ordered from the Palm Springs School District (I got the build records from Mack Trucks – very interesting). It was for sale at a local school bus company about 25+ years ago and I went to look at it. At that point it was in really nice condition but I didn’t buy it. Years later it turned up in a junky storage yard and some guy was living in it. He had gutted it. I made him an offer and drove it home #9786;. I’m just an old truck enthusiast and have had quite a few antique semi’s, but nothing as unique as this bus. Anyway, thanks for posting the photos. They brought back some great memories! Tim Buley
Go to Top of Page

MorrisV2

53 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  4:41:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit MorrisV2's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by YellowBox

HERE YOU HAVE SOME PICTURES OF A MACK B SERIES, SCHOOL BUS.

OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD.

That is beautiful.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000