Failed IDM for 444
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lobo69

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  04:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody ever loose an IDM on a late 90"s 444e? Been chasing problems on bus. New cam sensor. new valve cover gaskets. new IDM relay. Ck for bad wires but still have intermittent power loss and set 545 & 544 codes. Time to change IDM??

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  06:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have never replaced an IDM on a T444E or a 7.3L PSD (in a TRUCK), but have done MANY of them in Econoline vans because they fill with W/S wash fluid :(

Those codes indicate that possibally the injector coil(s) are not drawing enough current. This can be because there is a wiring issue (wires, terminals etc), bad injector coil(s), internal wear of the injector armature, or a defective IDM.

"Late 90's" T444Es did not have an IDM, only the 1994-1997 models did. If there is a computer bolted to the ENGINE, there is no IDM. If there are no computers bolted TO the engine, then yes, you have a "3 box" system and an ECM, IDM and VPM.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

lobo69

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  10:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is on a '97 3 box. problem is intermittent. not relative to hot or cold or vibration.

4-c2's. 08 & 06. 5-int 444e. 1 old faithful DT366
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  9:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Boy, w/o a breakout box it's tough to know if you are getting full battery voltage to the IDM while running it.

Pull the IDM main connector off, take a used (or new) headlamp, and wire it accross the #14 + #28 pins (#28 is chassis ground and #14 is Relay Power).

Now with the headlamp carefully wired up so as not to distort the pins, turn the key on and measure the voltage on BOTH wires relative to the BATTERY GROUND STUD.

You should have no more than 0.5V on the ground side, and no less than battery voltage minus 1.0V on the power side. If you get MORE voltage drop than that, you have a problem.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

lobo69

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  4:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update on this. Read much on related topics in this forum. So problem had to be a bad wire, short or bad connection. (i had switched IDM from sister bus.) Washed bus underneath and armed with flashlight at night. As I move past battery box, I pull on frame ground wire to move me under bus and it seemed to move such a little. SO I take off of frame rail, clean undercoating, new lock washer and impact install ground to rail and bus never ran better.

4-c2's. 08 & 06. 5-int 444e. 1 old faithful DT366
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  6:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had an IDM fail on a 1999 Ford F-550\ bucket truck. When it failed, they were doing Dielectric tests on the bucket. Maybe this had something to do with it, but when they changed the IDM (very expensive!), that fixed the problem entirely.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000