Enter Forum: General Interest
 School Bus Airbags
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fiveforks

United States
29 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  12:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit fiveforks's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is there a topic on why school buses (Thomas RE/HDX in particular) don't have driver air bags??? Thanks!

NewBee Driver

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  3:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why only on transit busses? Airbags should be standard on any bus/medium duty truck chassis. The only one i believe has them is the Volvo chassis. There is such a debate over seatbelts for the kids (lets leave that in the topics already started) but what about the driver... In any accident severe enough that the students would need seatbelts, the driver is going to be banged up pretty bad. As the only adult that is sure to be there, shouldnt manufacturers also do everything they can (airbags) to make sure that the driver is able to perform the evacuation and other emergency requirements that would be required of him/her in the event of such an emergency?

Just my opinion and i look forward to hearing others on the topic.

Driving Seattle To School - And Loving It!!
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  5:20:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yes, you are true but transits should require them the most.

Example:
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/52647275.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939847EC77F5F8D1CE59883DF54C150898A40A659CEC4C8CB6

http://publicsafety.com/article/photos/1164050383541_bus%20wreck1.jpg

I just don't understand why when you drive a transit, you are right up against the window. It would be nice if they look more at the driver's safety instead of the children.
Um.. I disagree with you FS guy. The students really are the most important part and the driver should recieve equal attention to safety not one more than another. And that second link... that is beyond airbag, an airbag wouldnt help that driver to much.

I think all vehicles should have air bags for the driver on the driver side window, by the pedals and steering wheel, I dont see why they dont. Transits are probably the least safe as far as the driver safety because of the large windshield.

Edited by - Kodie on 12/31/2007 6:05:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  06:40:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What on earth did that Thomas pusher hit???? Is that the VA bus vs. trash truck's dumpter hook bars?

As for the secong link...that is an IC CE that nose dived off an overpass last year...not transit. Ironically the bus driver survived because he was not wearing his seatbelt. He was ejected though the bus's doors before it went over (they found him on top of the overpass).

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 01/01/2008 06:42:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  09:36:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In neither of those accidents would an air bag likely have provided help. Air bags are meant to keep you in your seating position (with the aid of the seat belt of course) and keep YOU from hitting the interior components of the vehicle. They're not meant to protect you from intruding objects. I think air bags would be good all around the bus, esspecially to prevent ejections. However, they have to be designed to work with the area in which the air bag will deploy. In cars, they use the dashboard, windsheild, etc. to deploy properly. (If you have a botched windsheild replacement, you can watch that thing explode from the vehicle if the air bag deploys.) The school bus manufacturers are probably capable of such design work, but this would be the same reason why they don't exists in type As where a standard van chassis would likely contain an air bag already. ...the bus manufacturers probably modify the drivers area, so the engineering that goes into the air bag by the van manufacturer would no longer be suitable.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  2:45:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know of a few school buses with driver air bags. You hear them on the radio ALL the time!
Go to Top of Page

Nick
Advanced Member

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  3:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Nick an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter

I know of a few school buses with driver air bags. You hear them on the radio ALL the time!

Heh, took a couple seconds to figure that one out...

IC the future, and it is bright.

Edited by - Nick on 01/01/2008 3:07:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  3:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the First Student guy

Yes, I know my 2 links were not savable with an air bag, but I wanted to show you haw bad an accident can be. Yes, I think that the children should have seat belts, but it can't happen easily. The owners of a bus copany would either have to retrofit all of their buses, or buy bigger buses with seat belts. In a seat, you can fit 3 elementary children, maybe even middle school. 2 for high school. Now, if you add seat belts, you would only be able to fit 2 to a seat. Making the bus to have to be longer to fit 77 pass. (conventional) If you try to do that, then the convenstional would have to be larger.

This video has a point, but I don't think much will change.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsbPevfEtrw

Even though the bus driver wasn't hurt, it would have been better if there was an air bag in the steering wheel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmc7qoIaAZg

If I remember correctly I think someone developed a seat with seat belts that can fit 3 elementary students and 2 high school students. I think I saw it in the SBF magazine.
Go to Top of Page

NathanW
Advanced Member

United States
313 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  5:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
None of the school busses I drive have airbags. The small transit bus I drive does have an airbag, however, the trolley I drive doesn't have one, and only has a lap belt at that.

Peter...Love the joke.

Nathan--Driver Extraordinaire
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  6:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You must be from my district........

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  6:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Am I the only idiot who cant figure that out? I have been looking at it for 3 days.
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  7:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC Kodie

quote:

Am I the only idiot who cant figure that out? I have been looking at it for 3 days.

You don't get it because you're not a bus driver yet. What he's getting at is drivers who talk over the 2-way radio waaaay too much. It's very irritating. He is referring to them as "bags of wind".

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

mat541mp

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  8:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow...3 people to figure out a joke. Geez...how sad.

mat
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  9:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks BBInt. Our TD does not allow extra chatter, it would annoy me too because our driver keeps the 2 way volume up so loud when they do talk it pierces your ears.

As far as air bags go... has anyone on here asked Thomas, BB, IC etc. why they dont use air bags? An air bag on the IC RE, or FE would require a change to the steering wheel design, and alot of you would be happy for that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000