New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

YellowBox
Advanced Member

Puerto Rico (USA)
254 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  2:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to all my fellow SCHOOL BUS enthusiasts.

I have a question about CATERPILLAR 3208 engines...

In wich School Bus models the CATERPILLAR 3208 engines were used...??????

Wich is the best transmission option to team-up with a 3208 Diesel Engine ? Manual or Automatic ?

Can I upgrade a 3208 engine to use a Turbo set-up ?

Is there any 3208 with Turbo System from factory ?

I plan to restore a 1979 FORD B700 / Blue Bird and it has a 3208 diesel engine on it, Is manual (5 speed)

All I want to know is more about this CATERPILLAR 3208 engines.

There is a MARINE version of the 3208 engines, with a high out-put of 425 Horse Power... Can I use a MARINE 3208 and convert it to a 3208 TRUCK /BUS engine ????

Thanks for your time...

Caterpillar 3208 Marine engine 425 HP

Caterpillar 3208 Truck / Bus engine...

nevrenufhp

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  4:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit nevrenufhp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 3208 did come from the factory with a turbo for trucks. I think they went up to 260 or 275hp. You could run the 475hp stuff, but it would run really REALLY hot. If you rebuild it, definately get it setup for a turbo. They are most commonly mated to an Allison MT643/653. Also, the 3208's arent known for great fuel economy.

The work truck: 1994 IH 4900, DTA466 with a few mods, MT653, Voith retarder.
Project:99 F250 SD DT466/AT545 swap
commuter:67 F100, 300, 4spd
my Fuel rate site:
http://www.freewebs.com/nevrenufhp/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  5:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well... sir, they have been out of production for quite a few years now. Some parts might be becoming hard to find and expensive so just keep that in mind.

As previously mentioned, they did come OE with turbos. I had two of em, a 1986 Blue Bird and 1987 Thomas--both pushers--both paired with MT643's

I really loved those engines. Had some issues with the injector pumps leaking fuel. They were never meant to run on LSD let alone today's ULSD. If you have your pump rebuilt be sure to check for new, improved seals if available.

Also had some issues with them stalling due to lack of fuel when it got below freezing. They just couldn't suck hard enough, so we put aftermarket electric fuel pumps in the line just part the tank and it took care of that!

We had one throw a rod around 200,000 miles due to driver abuse (run out of coolant and kept running). The other we got rid of at around 250,000 miles because the bus body was shot. The engine was still strong, but she used some oil. I should mention that we did rod and main bearings in that engine when the other one blew, just to be safe.

Blue Bird offered 3208's in their front and rear engine products, Thomas offered them in the rear engine only so far as I know. IH offered them in conventionals at one point. And I guess Ford too since you have one.

Hope you find some of this useful!

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 11/24/2007 5:24:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  3:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As to the marine applications, they make GREAT mooring anchors.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  4:17:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Post Pics of the bus if possible please... Love the Birdies

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Edited by - bluebirdvision on 11/25/2007 5:38:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  05:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drove a straight truck with a 3208 in it, 5spd w/a two speed rear end. I have always kept it in the back of my mind that if I wanted to build a truck I would use that motor. Thomasbus24 may have a good point however-a motor is a motor-you might be better off to find something else to put in it. I had an old bulldozer I wanted to restore-I figured out it would cost me $11,000 to finish fixing it-and I had already rebuilt the motor(I was using it so the motor work was not a waste of money).

quote:
Originally posted by IBTMech

they make GREAT mooring anchors.

HAHAHA! Very funny!

High School Friend-"Hey! How are you! Well, I guess you can't be doing too well, you're driving a school bus."
Go to Top of Page

YellowBox
Advanced Member

Puerto Rico (USA)
254 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  1:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Well... sir, they have been out of production for quite a few years now. Some parts might be becoming hard to find and expensive so just keep that in mind.

As previously mentioned, they did come OE with turbos. I had two of em, a 1986 Blue Bird and 1987 Thomas--both pushers--both paired with MT643's

I really loved those engines. Had some issues with the injector pumps leaking fuel. They were never meant to run on LSD let alone today's ULSD. If you have your pump rebuilt be sure to check for new, improved seals if available.

Also had some issues with them stalling due to lack of fuel when it got below freezing. They just couldn't suck hard enough, so we put aftermarket electric fuel pumps in the line just part the tank and it took care of that!

We had one throw a rod around 200,000 miles due to driver abuse (run out of coolant and kept running). The other we got rid of at around 250,000 miles because the bus body was shot. The engine was still strong, but she used some oil. I should mention that we did rod and main bearings in that engine when the other one blew, just to be safe.

Blue Bird offered 3208's in their front and rear engine products, Thomas offered them in the rear engine only so far as I know. IH offered them in conventionals at one point. And I guess Ford too since you have one.

Hope you find some of this useful!

Since the CATERPILLAR 3208 engine is widely used here in Puerto Rico, well there are plenty of parts still being sold for them.
We do not have to worry about startingproblems "Below Freezing" because of our type of weather (TROPICAL)

LSD or ULSD Fuel is a problem for these "old motors", but I am one of those who beleive this old engines can be equiped to deal with this changes in fuel and emission control. Thats why I am planning to start studies in a technical college and become a DIESEL TECHNICIAN and Engineer. I want to develop fuel management systems /emission control systems and electronic control systems so this "old" Diesels can be FORWARD FITTED with new technologies to keep them running. I want to stage a Common Rail Direct Inyection System, EGR System , VGT Turbos,and Cooling systems for 3208 engines and others.....

Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  3:22:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be great, especially for DT360s. If it turns out to be cost effective and reliable, send the stuff to International, maybe we can get the DT360 and some of the old 466 reliability back.

Buses are not a way of life, they are life
Go to Top of Page

YellowBox
Advanced Member

Puerto Rico (USA)
254 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  3:49:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by busgeek++

That would be great, especially for DT360s. If it turns out to be cost effective and reliable, send the stuff to International, maybe we can get the DT360 and some of the old 466 reliability back.

This is a proyect I would like to bring into consideration. The basics are that older Diesel Engines are in some way the same basic design of their more modern counterparts, that is a cylinder block of cast iron or the newer graphite iron with 6 or 8 cylinders on it. The basics are that all the external components of the engines can be Forward Fitted to make this older diesels operate with such newer technologies....I beleive I can change my On Line Fuel Pump for a Common Rail Direct Inyection System. I beleive I can Forward Fit my old exhaust system and change it to a Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) or Cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (CEGR)systems.

I want to update this "old" Diesels just to proove that they can operate and be fuel eficient and enviromental eficient.

There is much development to do, But think about it. Modern Diesel Engines and older Diesel Engines are not that diffrent. Just remind that the newer CAT C7 is the "Evolution" of the 3126 Engines just as the new MaxForce DT are the evolution of old DT series.

I would like to see the posibilities of making fresh new internal components, built with today's standars for "old" Diesels.And develop Common Rail Direct Inyection, Inyection systems, Cooling systems, Diesel Particulate control Systems and all related technologies to FORWARD FIT older diesel engines....

I think I will call them FOWARD FIT DIESEL....

There will be the day for the 3208 CAT,Common Rail Direct Inyected, VGT Turbo, Liqufied Nitrogenated cooling system. LSD,ULSD, Bio Diesel compatible....
Go to Top of Page

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  06:45:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 7.3 diesel has a pretty bad clatter. The International dealer told me that it is probably the secondary oil pump. My farm tractor made the same clatter for years, finally the injector pump went on it-it hasn't had a clatter noise since.

The noise my truck is making became extreme this summer, what frighted me was, I just started adding anti-gel to the fuel, the clatter has completely stopped. I read something on the pump at the gas station about fuel changing required for the 2005 vehicles. Guess I am going to have to put anti-gel in year round(I know I am supposed to). Hope we don't have trouble with the 466's at the bus barn.

High School Friend-"Hey! How are you! Well, I guess you can't be doing too well, you're driving a school bus."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000