New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  09:20:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody have an Mich. XZE sidewall crack at 4 years old? 11R22.5's. Only 40K on them and they are shot. First set I've seen do this. Wear was even too. Yes the bus sits out, But I havent even seen a Badyear do this. Dealer is checking into it. Badyear guarantee's one cap on theirs if its done 5 years or less.

I just got done in another post praising them too...

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  10:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a lot of sun damage to everything including tires, but no problems indicated such as you mention here. We won't cap anything that old, since it becomes problematical, regardless of whose casing it is....Old ones fail and newer ones don't. If I could put miles on them fast enough we'd cap them three times each, but even with our higher than normal mileage we can't put miles on them fast enough.

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  11:32:24 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have been running XZE's for about five years. I have not had any problem with them what so ever. I will cap a casing up to six years old if it is in good condition. Normally five years is my max. I rarely get two caps per casing due to the low mileage accumulation and many years of service but will cap them twice if the casing is younger than six years and in good condition. Drive tire casings will last longer with retreads if you lower the air pressure. I run only new tires on my long haul buses and caps on the drive axle on everything else whenever possible. I run max cold pressure in the front axle and 100 psi in rear drive axles. These are type D buses.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  1:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These haven't been even capped yet..I cant get enought miles on them either Brad. Just dont get the miles out here in cornfield county.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  5:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've been using XZE's for several years with no problems.

Are you certain there was no curb job or rock rub involved?

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2007 :  9:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never any issues with XZEs or any other Michelin tires.

Are you fully inflating the tires up to the sidewall "MAX COLD"? Doing so may accelerate sidewall cracking expecially if it is unecessary for the load the tire carries.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2007 :  08:52:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No curb stuff, cracks just about an inch and a half up from the G ring, All the way around. I run everything around the 92-95 lb mark. They just look like they are a 10 year old capped tire already. Pulled the bus off the route soon as I seen the problem. Other thing was the 40K miles on them right now at 5-6 32nd's, I've seen the same size, inflation, XZE's go 80K.

Oh well, I'll see what Mich. says..Probley just a 1 in a thousand problem.

Not going to stop me from buying them by any means.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000