New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  10:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know what the proper torque or at least have a good guess on the proper torque for oil pan bolts on a 9 liter (5/16 size)? My average findings when searching for that specification for other engines are in the neighborhood of 15 ft*lbs. My Allison transmission also specified that same number. For some reason, my service manual omits this important specification so I figured I'd inquire. International says they can't look up something that old. If nobody knows, does anybody know what the spec is for the DT466? (as this would probably be close enough) Thanks.

Jonathan

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  12:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If no one else answers--

I replaced the oil pan on my 7.3-it had a cork gasket which can be easily over torqued. Seems to me I just tighted it carefully, watching the gasket. Why would you be worried about torque on an oilpan?

High School Friend-"Hey! How are you! Well, I guess you can't be doing too well, you're driving a school bus."
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  5:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I torque all 5/16 oil pan bolts......... Allison or otherwise...... to 12 ft. lbs. Works for me.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2007 :  7:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine isn't cork, it's that grey stuff. That's what the International dealer sent me anyways. I should have clarified, Allison specs 10 to 15 ft*lbs.
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2007 :  09:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm certainly not bragging here, but I have never used a torque wrench on oil pan bolts. I would snug in down carefully with my hand very near the top of the wrench so as to not over tighten the cap screws. 5/16" grade_ ? can take a fair amount of torque, but the gasket won't like it. Recheck them after running it for a time.

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  11:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
manual refers it to general torque spec. if it was a 5/16 as i recall that is 14lbsft

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  12:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats funny wagon!..Yeah I do the same thing..."Hmmm thats about right" on to the next..as long as the gasket doesn't puke out the sides too much.

Were gonna miss you "Brent"..Good luck in "Heidi land"

"I know you miss the Wainwrights Bobby, but they were weak and stupid people...and that's why we have wolves and other large predators" .. The Far Side

"On a two hour delay when will my child be picked up??"

Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2007 :  3:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you read carefully on the general torque spec, it has a whole list of assumptions. One of these assumptions is that you are torquing metal to metal contact, with no gasket. I'm not worried about stripping threads or breaking off screw heads, but didn't want to overtighten the gasket.
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2007 :  11:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Generally, tin pan assemblies (trans pan, oil pan, valve covers) run in the 7 to 14 lbft range. If you really want to get technical, it also make a difference if the bolts are dry or lubricated, and what they are lubricated with (WD-40 has a 0.80% effect on the clamping force / applied torque ratio). I would start with 7 lbft, then tighten until you see the gasket begin to bulge (I use the word "begin" here seriously).

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000