Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1377 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  08:37:37 AM  Show Profile  Send 1983WardFord an AOL message  Send 1983WardFord a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In another thread I mentioned I saw a few 08 IC FEs that had the Maxx Force engine in them and how the front end looked different. A couple people mentioned they wanted to see photos, so here they are.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x182/busman_49/?action=view¤t=Hilliard102.jpg
-Here's the front end view. The grille is changed dramatically.

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x182/busman_49/?action=view¤t=Hilliard102b.jpg
-And the rear-end view. Look at that big tailpipe coming through the bumper.

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  08:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh man that new front end is hideous, makes the Thomas EF look like a Playboy Playmate. I guess they had to improve the airflow for 2007 emissions.

That large exhaust is standard on all 2007 engines that IC makes.

Thanks for posting pics!

Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
1995 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  08:52:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am disgusted with that awful looking thing, IC really upset me with this one.
Go to Top of Page

Busdude3
Top Member

USA
1178 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  08:54:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Busdude3 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow! That sure is different!

I sure hope Midvale has some there - I'll be stopping there on Sunday.
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  08:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow that looks terrible. My cat vomits stuff that looks better than that!

This sounds like a job for some bondo and paint!
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  09:12:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WOW They just made the bus look OLD! I do like the tailpipe in the bumper! That was what I liked about the TC2000 FEs. I dont like that grill

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

ATRE 1507
Top Member

United States
673 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  09:26:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit ATRE 1507's Homepage  Click to see ATRE 1507's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
THAT GRILL IS UGLY!!!

But I do agree wiht IC-RE. I like the tail pipe.

Bus 1507: 2001 AmTran RE

Student
Fairfax County
Area One Transportation
Go to Top of Page

Mitchell
Top Member

Canada
741 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  09:31:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Mitchell a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That bus is absoloutly disgusting looking. The least they could do is change more than the grille and exhaust. I wonder why it doesnt look more like the new RE.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
1995 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  09:41:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is that they are just trying to keep up with the latest thing but they are going waaayyyy in the wrong direction. I appreciate the lousy effort but they need to think about it more, I liked the old design.
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  09:43:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What the hell? Isn't a redesign supposed to make the bus look better? No cookie for IC on this one.....

I oughta call and complian!

Thanks for posting pics though.

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Edited by - dem84skeeprollinup on 07/28/2007 10:03:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  09:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Call me nuts but I actually like it; not that it's a revolutionary design or anything but still I can live with it.

It really reminds me of the old International cab over semi's http://www.inter-transport.com/images/9800_GW.jpg and I always liked the those for some reason. At least they didn't just slap on a new headlight piece and call it done. Looks like the whole piece releases and falls down so that's a plus, did away with three separate access doors.

The district I work for has a KY spec FE on order that is due in mid to late August so I'll take some pictures of that when it arrives.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
1995 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  09:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What happened to IC having the FE without the engine compartment? Is that the 09? Hopefully when they reveal that design they will redesign that grill completely. Ugh thats awful looking. If IC keeps this up I am going to convert my religion to Blue Bird.
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  10:04:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nasty nasty nasty! It reminds me of the old Thomas front engines with the huge T-Grille. http://busexplorer.com/PHP/MidPage.php?id=1993

However, the front will be easier to access as Chris pointed out. Hopefully the new Maxxforce engines will be reliable and that IC has finally addressed the excessive heat issues in the driver's area.

Edited by - GMCBlueBird83 on 07/28/2007 10:05:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

2006.AAFE.#21
Top Member

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  10:04:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit 2006.AAFE.#21's Homepage  Send 2006.AAFE.#21 an AOL message  Click to see 2006.AAFE.#21's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Am I The ONLY One Who Likes It??
I Think It Looks Cool.

Rider of Bus 25, a 2007 Blue Bird All American FE, and Bus 24, a 2009 Blue Bird All American FE.
Go to Top of Page

ATRE 1507
Top Member

United States
673 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  10:05:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit ATRE 1507's Homepage  Click to see ATRE 1507's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Why don't they put the black plastic thing around the headlights on the FE...it might make it look better....and I have a feeling thats not the final design.

Student
Fairfax County
Area One Transportation
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
1995 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  10:06:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why didnt they put those new plastic head lights on the FE like they did on the RE that might actually make it look better. If anybody has photoshop, can you try it out putting the new headlights on it.
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  10:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ATRE 1507

Why don't they put the black plastic thing around the headlights on the FE...it might make it look better....and I have a feeling thats not the final design.

Considering the bus is already lettered for a school district, I'd say what we see here IS the final design.
Go to Top of Page

ATRE 1507
Top Member

United States
673 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  10:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit ATRE 1507's Homepage  Click to see ATRE 1507's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
AHHHHH!!!

EWWW!!!!!

Oh well...as long as it rides well...and doesn't breakdown alot...I don't care.

Student
Fairfax County
Area One Transportation
Go to Top of Page

Busdude3
Top Member

USA
1178 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  10:13:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Busdude3 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2006.AAFE.#21

Am I The ONLY One Who Likes It??
I Think It Looks Cool.

I agree its not that bad... And yes, it does remind me of the old Thomas ERs.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
1995 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  10:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If your an IC fan based on looks that is a bad thing. If anybody has photoshop, can you try it out putting the new headlights on it.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  10:34:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All American FE baby... that's the ticket these days...
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  10:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sold on that new grill....
Go to Top of Page

2006.AAFE.#21
Top Member

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  10:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit 2006.AAFE.#21's Homepage  Send 2006.AAFE.#21 an AOL message  Click to see 2006.AAFE.#21's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
All American FE baby... that's the ticket these days...

Amen To That!!

Rider of Bus 25, a 2007 Blue Bird All American FE, and Bus 24, a 2009 Blue Bird All American FE.
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  11:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not my favorite but's it not that horrible. I wonder if this is a quick temporary redesign just to fit in the new Maxforce engines and that they are slowly and carefully coming out with a new design for a later date. If this is what they plan to use for the next couple of years I guess I will be buying a ticket for a Blue Bird All American FE.

IC-The Golden Shield of School Transportation
Go to Top of Page

Nick
Advanced Member

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  11:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Nick an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ehhh, it's OK but a lot uglier than it used to be, but if it's reliable then it's done its job. Do the new engines really need that much cooling that the grille has to be this big, especially considering it's right in front in the airflow? The new RE has a pretty small-looking radiator, I would think the FE could get away with an even smaller one?

Bird FE is definitely the best looking FE out there now.

IC the future, and it is bright.

Edited by - Nick on 07/28/2007 11:48:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  11:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After staring for a minute or so, it really isnt that bad. I did like the older grille better, but this one really is fine. My initial reaction as you saw above was YUCK, but that is because change takes some getting used to. I think this design is okay, and Im sure it will change soon if they redesign the whole transit line.

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

ATRE 1507
Top Member

United States
673 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  12:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit ATRE 1507's Homepage  Click to see ATRE 1507's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC-RE

After staring for a minute or so, it really isnt that bad. I did like the older grille better, but this one really is fine. My initial reaction as you saw above was YUCK, but that is because change takes some getting used to. I think this design is okay, and Im sure it will change soon if they redesign the whole transit line.

LET'S HOPE SO!

Student
Fairfax County
Area One Transportation

Edited by - ATRE 1507 on 07/28/2007 12:20:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

School Bus 7

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  12:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man that thing looks like crap. But I really dont like any FE's but yeah agree All American FE's are prolly the best.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
1995 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  12:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually there is a huge problem with the IC RE radiator design. because its on the right side all of the dirt and dust will be picked up from the side of the road. Anyway I agree with whoever said it must be temporary to have that design on the FE.

Another thing they could have done with the FE is have the sides of the bus as low as the bottom step and toward the back had the slant. Also they should have put the new headlights on it.

Edited by - Kodie on 07/28/2007 12:36:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  12:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Although it's nice to think it may not be so temporary... Just look at the Thomas EF, it had a grille change and it's been around for a while now...but who knows, it may just be a long-term-temporary thing...if that's possible? I wonder if the bus has multiplex wiring yet, a mechanic I work with said this was the year the RE and FE were supposed to come out with that, I still say most of design revolves around that major system. Less wires = more space for eye pleasing designs.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  1:13:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IC Kodie, as far as the sides are concerned, it depends on how it is spec'ed. My district specs extended skirting, so our sides are level with the door

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  1:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC Kodie

Actually there is a huge problem with the IC RE radiator design. because its on the right side all of the dirt and dust will be picked up from the side of the road.

Uhh... no... Blue Bird, Thomas, and other premium rear engine manufacturers have been using side mount radiators for years, with great success. The air intake is what matters, and they don't pick up air low enough to draw in all dirt.

Every rear engine can be a dust magnet, that is why many districts who run on dirt roads prefer FEs and conventionals. Side mount radiators for REs are certainly the best design and they will be here to stay. Better airflow, easier engine access, and better aesthetics.

Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
1995 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  1:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich

quote:
Originally posted by IC Kodie

Actually there is a huge problem with the IC RE radiator design. because its on the right side all of the dirt and dust will be picked up from the side of the road.

Uhh... no... Blue Bird, Thomas, and other premium rear engine manufacturers have been using side mount radiators for years, with great success. The air intake is what matters, and they don't pick up air low enough to draw in all dirt.

Every rear engine can be a dust magnet, that is why many districts who run on dirt roads prefer FEs and conventionals. Side mount radiators for REs are certainly the best design and they will be here to stay. Better airflow, easier engine access, and better aesthetics.

Right but if it was on the left side it would pick up less dust, this is coming straight from our mechanics.
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  3:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think the change actually looks good. Plus being an Ohio bus helps with my certain standards. But honestly I think the change is very pleasing to the eye unlike a certain EF...but anyway I'm sure it was changed because of the 07 emissions and the way the MaxxForce engine has to take in air. But that's just what I'm thinkin about it. Thanks for the pics Ryan!

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
1995 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  3:34:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anybody finds more pictures please post them here, I think it would grow on me overtime, but I would probably have to see it in person, or get a front on picture.
Go to Top of Page

PCW

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2007 :  3:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Send PCW an AOL message  Send PCW a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
woof. I dunno folks...we'll see what the furture brings in School busing design. The RE looks okay but I'm gonna have to get used to the grill.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2013 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000