New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  6:56:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our school district uses all retreads when the tires are replaced. They have to be replaced quite often. Would it be cheaper to buy a good set of new tires that will last or keep replacing retreads? I am trying to help our TD decide.

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  7:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some discussions which may be helpful:

http://schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14432&SearchTerms=retread

http://schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9210&SearchTerms=retread

http://schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3341&SearchTerms=retread

I highly recommend the search feature, it brings up mounds of info on most topics.

Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  7:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Boy, thank God you're not here in Washington state.

Here, if you get caught using retreads on the front axle, your bus gets taken off the road immediately until the problem is rectified. It is strictly forbidden according to WA State law to run retreads on the front axle of ANY commercial vehicle.

And for a damn good reason. I used to be a retread nut myself, but having seen what 100+ pound rubber shrapnel fragments can do, I'm now vehemently against it.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  7:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven A.Rosenow

Here, if you get caught using retreads on the front axle, your bus gets taken off the road immediately until the problem is rectified. It is strictly forbidden according to WA State law to run retreads on the front axle of ANY commercial vehicle.

And for a damn good reason. I used to be a retread nut myself, but having seen what 100+ pound rubber shrapnel fragments can do, I'm now vehemently against it.

He probably wasn't told that it is retreads on the rear only...

New York does not allow retreads on front tires either, and I don't believe any state does for school buses. The buses would fail inspection right away, tires are one of the first items checked at the inspection every six months.

Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  7:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich

quote:
Originally posted by Steven A.Rosenow

He probably wasn't told that it is retreads on the rear only...

New York does not allow retreads on front tires either, and I don't believe any state does for school buses. The buses would fail inspection right away, tires are one of the first items checked at the inspection every six months.

LOL, every six months your buses get inspected? Here, ours get inspectged once a year, and that's just before the new school year begins.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  7:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried searching, but I could not find anything. At least I tried, I thought you could have retreads on the front, hmm.. Anyway does anybody have an answer? Thanks Rich that was helpful by the way.

Edited by - Kodie on 06/26/2007 7:45:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  7:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is your TD deciding on something that should be the maintenance foreman's call? In any event, retreads have proven themselves over and over cost-wise. And no retreads on the steering axle!

JC
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  7:55:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
would it be cheaper to keep replacing retreads or buy a $300.00 goor wheel?
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  7:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC Dave

would it be cheaper to keep replacing retreads or buy a $300.00 goor wheel?

See the threads I posted, the answers are in there!
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  8:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rich, this way is easier. I guess I could read it.
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  8:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep using retreads, its proven economical and better for the environment by recapping the old tires. Most retreaders have fleet rates available.

JC
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  8:12:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok thanks everybody, but if you have any more info let me know.
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  8:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who maintains your buses? The TD or a head mechanic? I'm thinking the TD might be out of his league a bit on this decision.

JC
Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  8:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't comment about bus/commercial retreads. However, I once purchased an old Chevy pickup which had a set of new retreads on it when I bought it. I had numerous problems with flat tires, and when doing an inspection of the tires 10,000 miles later, found two tires where the tread was about ready to seperate from the rest of the tire. That was the kicker...and made me decided to NEVER AGAIN purchase retread tires.

Quality control exists during initial manufacturing. However, some retread shops are not exactly quality-conscious.

Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2007 :  9:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC Theriault

Who maintains your buses? The TD or a head mechanic? I'm thinking the TD might be out of his league a bit on this decision.

JC

Some places just have one person that works as everything involved with transportation, like around my area the TD works doing everything: routes, drivers, mechanic, etc.
Go to Top of Page

drivin4safety
Advanced Member

United States
259 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  02:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Send drivin4safety a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would think that this is pretty universal, that retreads on the steer axle are strictly forbidden by the National D.O.T. However on the drives, when properly maintained they are very economical. As a further "up-front" investment for long term benefits you may look into centramatic wheel balancers that work automatically and pressure-pro tire inflation monitors. I say this because both wheel balance and inflation contribute so much to tire life. The owner of the trucking company I work for has recently started equipping the trucks and trailers with each system, my truck was the test-bed, and I can't say enough about how well they work. I especially like being able to check with certainty the inflation of every tire at any time. Recently it even caught an air leak due to a small puncture (screw) while going down the interstate at 70mph I was able to call my company and they had a repair truck waiting for me at the place where I was to unload my truck. I like it so much I want to equip my wife's car and then mine with the auttomotive variant.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  1:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yupp...that's a federal no-no...retreads on a steering axle.

There is nothing wrong with a good retread so long as it's taken care of properly. Reputible companies do a good job, ask around other bus and truck shops for one in your area. Proper inflation is an absolute must for any tire. Dual pressures need to be EXACTLY the same, and checked/adjusted often.

You'll save a ton of money by using them.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  4:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
our mechanics maintain, but he is helping in the decision because in the ned he is the one digging into the transportation money.
Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  5:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC Theriault

JC

You wont believe this one..
Small school district by me has 20 buses..
When something needs to be bought for the buses, or a bus needs to be replaced, guess who has the say so?
Not the mechanic.
Not the TD.
The secretary in the office who writes the checks and pays the bills is the one who has to be asked. She never even looks at the buses.

For example the mechanic wants to buy 2 55 gallon drums of oil to do the fleet. He goes to the secretary to get a check for the oil. The secretary says " Oh no thats way to much oil. Go to the parts store and buy a few quarts its much cheeper that 55 gallons" Even though they need 55 gallons.
The mechanic is having a fit over this new idea the school started last year.

Now the mechanic wants to replace 4 buses that are getting old. There 94s.
The secretary wants to replace the newer buses (2002s) because they just spent a lot of money on them with brakes and tires. So in the secretary's mind that meens the 2002s are costing them to much money and need to go.
Does this make any scense at all ? LOL
The mechanic comes in my work everyday *****ing about this kind of stuff

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  6:47:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah that sounds about right. He should go ask her for a check for muffler bearings or blinker fluid.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  7:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know the deal around here....they put recaps and new tires on rear axles. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. You'll see recaps on late model IC REs and new tires on '90 Blue Birds. And I've gotten my bus back from PM service with new tires when there was plenty of tread on the old ones.

Here, a separate County agency (Dept of Vehicle Services) maintains all County vehicles (probably 10,000 or more) and bills the agency (schools, police, fire, etc) that owns them.
Go to Top of Page

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  2:41:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"You wont believe this one..
Small school district by me has 20 buses..
When something needs to be bought for the buses, or a bus needs to be replaced, guess who has the say so?
Not the mechanic.
Not the TD.
The secretary in the office who writes the checks and pays the bills is the one who has to be asked. She never even looks at the buses.

For example the mechanic wants to buy 2 55 gallon drums of oil to do the fleet. He goes to the secretary to get a check for the oil. The secretary says " Oh no thats way to much oil. Go to the parts store and buy a few quarts its much cheeper that 55 gallons" Even though they need 55 gallons.
The mechanic is having a fit over this new idea the school started last year.

Now the mechanic wants to replace 4 buses that are getting old. There 94s.
The secretary wants to replace the newer buses (2002s) because they just spent a lot of money on them with brakes and tires. So in the secretary's mind that meens the 2002s are costing them to much money and need to go.
Does this make any scense at all ? LOL
The mechanic comes in my work everyday *****ing about this kind of stuff"

The woman in the office has control, no way. That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Fight the district over it, she does not know anything about the buses or mechanics of the buses. I would definately bring that up with the district or even the local news or something.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000