Driver that just doesn't get it
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  6:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got this one driver, that has a record of write ups. Last year, he had three write ups:

Once for almost getting into an accident
Twice for dropping kids off in the middle of the street

He actually lives in my neighborhood, and he is also a crazy driver in his car. Frequently, my son has been telling me that he almost hit him with his car when he was was on his bike, and when he was walking.

This is the type of shmuck that when you yell at him, he understands for two days, and then forgets. Does anyone know how to make this guy remember and learn how to drive safely? If I keep writing him up, he will have to be fired and there are problems that arise from that.

This is the only driver I've been having CONSTANT problems with for the SAME THING.

Edited by - OperationsM on 01/12/2007 6:06:27 PM

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  04:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You sound frustrated. I can understand how that can happen.

Does that frustration exhibit itself when discussing the above issues with the driver?

Do you feel a dread when having to yet again approach the same issue several times?

Have you considered that you might be doing all the work to try to resolve the issues?

Sometimes writing down what is expected and providing that information as an interdependent need can be effective when taking about it has not worked.

And I do not mean formal, officious or authoritive communications in a memo. I mean encouragement to follow the need and that you request he get back to you by a certain date to report on his progress.

Leave what is in the past in the past and focus on what needs to happen now.

Stick with one or two issues max per meeting - when two issues try to address one differently from the other, that is use a different approach for the second issue.

And have fun with it. If you are not having a little fun dealing with some of these issues then you will most certainly end up a cranky old man like I have become and people will avoid you.

But I still have fun now and then anyway - just not as often.

Here's an example of a less formal communication that puts the issue on the driver to solve.

Joe,

Just a note to follow up on our discussion yesterday afternoon.

I want to first let you know that I'm glad you're one of our community's school bus drivers and believe you are as interested in helping keep kids safe as am I. It is my primary job and my interest to support you in that effort.

We talked about the unfortunate incidents of dropping kids off in the middle of the street. That activity must end for both our sakes and the kids safety.

Over the next few days please analyze that bus stop and be ready with options that might help provide crossing those kids using state mandated safe practices methods.

Please get back to me early next week. Let Miss Briggs know what meeting time would be convenient for you. She will look over my schedule and set a time that works for both of us.

Finally, I want to thank you for your consistent punctuality. Showing up to work on time really helps me out and I appreciate that.

If you have any ideas how I might convince a few here that need to be as punctual, while not speeding to work, please feel free to drop me a separate note concerning that and when convenient.

Thanks you for helping keep kids safe.

John

This may seem a bit corny to you if it is an approach you are not practiced at performing. Act it out with someone such as the Mrs. until it feels more comfortable. It does work much more often than not to get what you want from an employee.

Trust this - No one will notice the difference in your new approach as much as you do. What they notice most is how they feel about themselves that is different from before when engaged in discussion and communications with you.

Frustration displayed in body language, even when trying to be nice can screw up a meeting. Find things you like about that driver and grind them into your mind to help set the tone for a successful meeting.

Display encouragement, set the expectation, place the responsibility to help resolve the issue in that driver, and be ready to address the same issue more than once in the future and until the bus driver meets the expectation or it is decided that driver must be let go.

None of this requires a hostile relationship, including if it turns out the employee is not suited for the job and according to your facilities operating standards (not your personal pet peeves).

Hoping it all works out for the best for you and that driver. (jk)

Note: Please let us know how your situation with that driver works out. Thanks. (jk)

Everyone a Master and Commander
As adults we like to be in charge of our world, whether at home or at work. Everyone likes to be involved in decisions that affect them. Involvement of the people closest to the issues makes for better decisions and shows people you appreciate them and their experience.

Most people feel undervalued and unappreciated at work. Create a workplace where people experience mastery and command of their task and you stand out clearly in the crowd.

. . . 'respect' is the solution. "It's the little things that say 'I trust and respect you.'. . . Asking someone their opinion is a big motivator. . . Getting to know the employees . . " ~Murphy's column quotes author/consultant Bob Nelson

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library
Post Check, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Edited by - JK on 01/13/2007 04:32:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  08:45:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
JK, I understand what you are saying. When I have a driver that is operating a bus unsafely, I always have a patient, and respectful conversation with him/her. The first questions I ask are if there are any problems on the bus, route, or if the kids are upsetting him, etc...

Then I proceed to tell them about the problem, tell them how to solve it, and I make sure they understand by even drawing diagrams. But yes, I do have to be firm when talking to them about this. And when a driver does the same thing over and over, it's a problem.

I always ask them and especially the ones that have problems about how the kids are, the route, and if they understand all the safety procedures. I have a very good relationship with all of the employees.

I always reward, and show my appreciation for everyone. I'm pretty good at building rapport, and confidence in employees to insure they feel that they can come to me for help.

To solve this drivers particular case, I think I'll have to ride with him a couple of times on his route to see what he's doing.

Hotel's Ford Girardin

Edited by - OperationsM on 01/13/2007 08:49:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  09:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OperationsM

..I always ask them and especially the ones that have problems about how the kids are, the route, and if they understand all the safety procedures. I have a very good relationship with all of the employees. ...

Except perhaps the one driver in your first post.

And I believe you asked if anyone might know how to make this guy remember and learn how to drive safely?

The management approach you mention in the above quote is common and plenty acceptable. And if that is the approach you are using with that one driver and it hasn't worked several times, then how will continuing to do the same thing and a ride-a-long help?

I would guess you already have the perfect answer - spoon feeding it to that driver yet again and too similar to past approaches - again, how will that help?

Is there anything that would prevent you from acting like this issue has not been discussed in the past and allowing the driver an opportunity to learn to solve an issue as described in my first post?

There is truth to knowing about something first person (yourself) without attempting to take over the responsibility by handing over that answer even though you might have the perfect answer.

Is there anything that prevents you from being a fly on the wall at that bus stop? I mean simply parked out of the way nearby and watching the event unfold from outside the bus?

While waiting for the bus to arrive you could listen to the radio, eat a sandwich, relax and gain a streetside perspective of the event, and perhaps even video the event if you like.

A quiet visit to the bus stop might give you a missing perspective of some sort to work from but again you are doing the work. And if the driver finds out at this point, or you do the ride-a-long, would that driver believe that you're supporting him or simply gathering evidence against him? (We are considering his thoughts, not your intentions.)

Perhaps that driver may not be suited to your facility's standards. Don't really know and can not give absolute assurance that using the mentioned approach that puts the driver to work solving the problem will work with that guy.

You are the boss, an excellent one I suspect, and the one that decides what to do next, when to do it and how to do it.

I'm very curious now how this all works out and hope you let us know.

Best wishes for you and your driver's mutual success. (jk)

Post Check, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  11:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Watching buses in a car is very difficult to do in New York City. In fact, when I first took over this operation, it was NEVER done. I rarely do it because it's almost impossible. My fleet has grown to close to 100 drivers since every year they keep throwing more and more drivers and routes to handle. The large number of drivers and buses isn't a problem for me, but there can be 15 buses passing in different directions at one intersection and it's hard to pinpoint which one is the one I'm specifically watching.

Because of the large amount of routes, it's hard to know exactly where a bus is. Bus drivers are allowed to take any streets they like as long as they get to the bus stop making it is hard to know where they are.

You mentioned just staying at the bus stop and watching. Then the question is, where do I park in Manhattan? If I find a space, it's a good idea. But you also have to remember that a driver just cannot drop kids off in the middle of the street and has to look where he's driving. There's really not much too that.

I still haven't decided what to do yet but I will be reacting on Tuesday. I'll definetly let you know on how it goes.

Hotel's Ford Girardin

Edited by - OperationsM on 01/13/2007 11:57:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  12:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just a little backround information on the operation:
When I was looking for an Operations Manager opening, there were quite a few. One of them was right next to my home, and the other one was further away and a failing operation with many incidents and management hostility. I decided to take that one so I could make improvements, lead people, create safer transportation, and eliminate management opposition.

That operation was barely functioning. I remember the first day on the job: one driver and an aide let the elementary school children on the bus go outside and they dispatched in saying they can't find the children. I could not believe what I heard and I was trying to get the aide to go look for them and she just kept on saying no because she doesn't know how to convince them to get back on the bus. You don't know how much fear was going through me, but somehow, I got her to find the kids. That was the first day of work at the operation.

Ever since, I have made great reforms: restored driver confidence, strong management, increased efficiency and made safer transportation.

There are some oldies at my operation and they saw the huge changes taking place and many of them have always thanked me for restoring their confidence and happiness.

Just wanted to tell you that interesting story of how I got into this operation!

Hotel's Ford Girardin
Go to Top of Page

william
Top Member

USA
1912 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  12:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Click to see william's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Unless you are completely and utterly desperate for drivers, why would you want to retain someone who is very soon going to cost you thousands of dollars and perhaps the loss of a child? This is not some child you're trying to raise, this is a professional school bus driver who seems to have no regard for you, the law, or the people he serves. It's bad enough that he receives three write-ups in one year, but two for the same offense?

Unless this is Tony Soprano's son, what problems could you possibly face for firing someone of this ilk? As managers, we sometimes have to face the fact that we cannot reach some of our people and termination is the only, if not the desired choice.

William
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  12:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

... Just wanted to tell you that interesting story of how I got into this operation!

As I suspected you are indeed an excellent person for the position you hold. The fact you are not ignoring the situation with that driver, are looking at what to do next and presented an issue here for others thoughts supports that as well.

The thoughts you choose to lead your decision is yours to make.

When you started at that facility the hostile workplace and potential dangerous conditions mentioned may well have been overwhelming for most.

Sounds like you built a fleet of captains rather than robots.

I want to also mention that your interest to try to keep a driver that most likely does many things right indicates a superior leader, in my opinion.

That guy may suddenly change his attitude and meet your expectations. Certainly worth a try to help encourage that outcome

Many decades ago I lived in the New York City area for a few years and know the accuracy of what you are presenting which applied even back in those years. Loved that town.

That bus stop location in Manhattan certainly is a drawback to the 'fly on the wall' approach. Not insurmountable, but involves more work than may be reasonable, especially when the idea is for that bus driver to do the work, to remember and learn how to meet your expectations.

I'm glad you will let us know how the issue turns out. Hate it when providing ideas and not ever hearing how it turned out. (jk)

Edited by - JK on 01/13/2007 1:51:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  6:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
JK, thank you very much for those kind words! Most people would not take the time to indicate their pleasure with something. I truly appreciate it.

William, there is a severe driver shortage in New York City. Atlantic Express even puts advertisements on tv to get school bus drivers. I have put termination into consideration but first, I am going to do some ride a longs with him, and I will try to watch his bus completing his route. Believe me, I am not putting other children in risk. I have been having many conversations with him throughout the year and if I see him practing an unsafe procedure again, I will most likely have to fire him depending on the circumstances.

I decided what I will do. On Tuesday, I'm going to go on ride a longs with him in the morning and afternoon. In the evening, I will have a conversation with him reminding him about drop off and pick up procedures, paying attention when driving, stopping at orange lights, etc... I will also make sure that there aren't any problems with the kids on his bus, route, and parents. I'll see where to go from there.

Hotel's Ford Girardin

Edited by - OperationsM on 01/13/2007 6:49:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

TerryBus71

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  6:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JK if you are having to write this driver up for how he handles and operates the school bus, and you know for a fact that he has problems driving his own car. Then you have no choice but to dismiss this driver. This person is responsible for the lives of children. How can anyone even question how to handle this, our children are in the hands of this person. If you are like most you have problems getting drivers, and keeping drivers. But not only as a bus driver, as a parent of 3 children I would rather have no driver for the bus than someone that is going to put my children in danger.
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird62
Top Member

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  6:03:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OperationsM, I can totally understand your frustration as I am at that point with a couple of my drivers right now.

90% of my drivers are FANTASTIC!!! But... it's those couple that JUST DON'T GET IT that make my life a living hell. I have one who has been written up twice in the last month for things such as swearing at kids and failure to follow directions.

If anybody has any suggestions for this one, please let me know because I thought this is very self explanatory: DO NOT DROP AT SCHOOL UNTIL 7:30 AM. This is in their handbook, it was discussed at the "Welcome Back," it has been in newsletters, and was on the board in the lounge. Friday the principal calls me again with three buses that dropped off at 7:28! My solution is to announce when it is 7:30; however, 1) Every bus has a clock in it and if they set it once to my time, why should I have to do this and 2) If I would get busy some morning and forget, I know that a few of them would find some way to ridicule me.

As stated, I have a lot of very, very good drivers and I can't appreciate them enough, but a couple of them are convinced (they have no reason, but just are) that I am too young for my job and will ridicule me no matter what. It's the great ones that make me still enjoy me job an keep coming back everyday. I've often wondered, if I had a fleet made up of just my "all-stars" would I be in heaven or bored?!?

A little background: I came into an operation that was not quite out of control, but close! There was no discipline, few expectations, and the drivers ran the show. Then this 23 year "punk" (me) comes in and tries to whip this place into shape. Age has NEVER been in issue for me at my two previous office positions and the previous drivers actually enjoyed having some "young blood" around the operation. A lot of the drivers at the current place welcomed me and were thrilled for the change, but a few of my older male drivers resent having someone a 2/3 of their age running the show.

As OperationsM stated, school bus drivers in this area are not easy to come by; however, thanks to some of my "good" drivers talking up the place on field trips and in general, I've had a few from other districts apply as well as some "newbies."
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  7:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Terrybus71, I understand your concern, but he has not been written up this year at all. This year, I guess he likes to run over children when he's driving his car. I don't know if he is still dropping kids off in the middle of the street. Last month, I called some parents and asked them if they were having any problems with the driver and they said no.

But since parents do not know everything that goes on in the bus, I do keep a very close watch on this driver. That may be the reason why he has not had any write ups this year. But since I'm still concerned, I am going to continue to take action.

BlueBird62, Oh yeah, I got a few that are off the wall but they all drive safely. Once every two weeks, I give a 3 minute announcement on the radio about safe driving, operation rules, anger management, and how to talk to kids. Then, I put "quizes" in every drivers mailbox with questions about everything I said, and review questions about safe driving. I speak to the drivers that get many questions wrong and I congradulate the ones that get everything right. This practice also lets me know who has their radio on.

For your time problem, in the morning, stand in the door way where all of the drivers enter and tell them good morning, and then firmly tell them that they must not allow the kids off the bus until EXACTLY 7:30. Then maybe ask "Do you understand?" Good have an excellent day

Hotel's Ford Girardin

Edited by - OperationsM on 01/14/2007 7:22:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  8:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does Atlantic Express offer any type of Employee Assistance Program where the employer contracts with an outside agency to set up an individual with therapy? Could this school bus driver use some kind of therapy? Does he have problems at home that are making his work life difficult or is it okay to just assume that this driver is a throw-away? Would replacing this driver be better for the company- who else would you get (someone worse?).

Was there a reason that the child was dropped off in the middle of the road? I am trying to picture how this could happen- was it to block the road so cars could not pass (some buses do that here). Or was it out of carelessness? Could the school bus driver use retraining and a different approach?

If the driver is seriously being negligent and just doesn't care about the safety of the kids- then you have a problem.

One thing is for sure: Do not treat school bus drivers like first graders, you will lose respect from them. Don't get me wrong or anything. I remember the safety meetings at Laidlaw and I couldn't stand how they talked down to us.

"drivers, drivers, please drivers, listen up"

How about

"can I have your attention everyone please"

No need to say "drivers"

And we used to have this safety person at Laidlaw when she addressed us who thought she was above the world. Lost total respect for her.

The question between 728 and 730 is not uncommon. That happens a lot of times at a lot of school districts. Try moving the time to let the kids off the bus at 7:33.

I once drove with this girl I used to work with at laidlaw. She was a top notch school bus driver but scared the living daylights out of me when she drove her car. I thought it would be the last day I would ever see light again. As some have admitted in this forum- you drive differently in your cars. She drove A+ in a school bus- but F in her car!

I don't agree with asking "do you understand". Please do not take this as if I am trying to sound rude- but I am just offering advice...but asking someone "Do you understand" if they understand that you can't drop them off until after 730 is pretty rude and might have a neg. effect.

Try having a meeting with all of the school bus drivers. Address all of the issues. Don't pinpoint anyone out and tell them that the school board is going to be coming down hard on the bus drivers for safety and that you will be forced to take action and that you want to try to be the best company around town (or city).

Oh- about those 3 minute messages. We used to get them at Laidlaw all the time- we all disliked them.

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 01/15/2007 04:17:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2007 :  11:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm fully satisfied that OperationsM is more than qualified to make the decisions concerning this issue and am glad he is the one doing so for his facility. (jk)

Edited by - JK on 01/14/2007 11:38:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  11:47:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree as well. I just think that several steps should be taken before a school bus driver is put on the spot.

Maybe: Provide extra training?

Was the school bus driver asked why he dropped the kids off in the middle of the road? Was it to block other cars? I can't imagine driving in NYC (a car, let alone a bus).

On the other hand- you should only have the best driving the buses.

Then you have the issue where some school bus drivers are just driving because "they hate this job".

(Yes I know the above statement is contradicting)

If you hate this job, why not drive a taxi?

Hard to explain. If you hate the job - then quit, don't put kids in danger.

Go to Top of Page

william
Top Member

USA
1912 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2007 :  7:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see william's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am in agreement with you guys. I think OperationsM is very competent and I do wish him well. Having said that, however, I have to reiterate that you just can't reach everybody who works for you, no matter how hard you try. How much trust can you put in a driver that you have to ride with every day, watching him like a hawk to make sure he toes the line? At some point, the safety of the kids must prevail over trying to save a person whom it seem does not wants to be saved. Besides, as previously stated, it's only natural that he's going to perform differently when the boss is sitting there watching him.

I don't see how being a lousy driver in a car is compatible with being a good driver in a bus. That makes no sense.

I wish you luck with this guy, OperationsM.

William

Edited by - william on 01/17/2007 7:52:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2007 :  2:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone. I apalogize for the long update. This was a terrible week for myself and everyone at the operation because one excellent person who used to be a school bus driver passed away.

But I'll tell you what has happened with the driver this topic is about. He is driving fine and understands and cooperates with all rules now. On Tuesday, I went on a ride a long with him in the morning and afternoon. He didn't do anything wrong except once he was a little off the line marger for a few seconds. He pulled up to the intersection and the kids didn't seem surprised when he didn't open the door until he pulled up to the street. That means he has most likely been dropping kids off at the intersection.

On Thursday, I was actually able to find his bus and follow it for 30 minutes in the afternoon. He drove exactly the same as he drove when I was there: Stopped at orange lights, drove at a safe speed, signaled, drove smoothly, and dropped the kids off at the appropiate location.

I congradulated him for driving well and reminded him about his previous violations that have since been corrected. I had a very serious talk with him about the way he drives in his car and he actually apologized to me. I had to apply a bit of a threat to make sure he really understood so I told him if there are any more incidents he will be dismissed. I explained he isn't currently at risk, but as long as he drives safely everything will be fine. I think he understood what I said very well and he demonstrated much more respect than previous times.

It went very well and I'm much more confident in this driver right now. 80Amtram, therapy isn't used for these situations nor was it required during September 11 - the operation is a few blocks away from the World Trade Center.

I want to extend my thanks to everyone who gave me advice, especially JK. Your suggestions were extremely helpful and I greatly appreciate your help. Thank you!

Hotel's Ford Girardin

Edited by - OperationsM on 01/19/2007 2:14:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

ernestb

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2007 :  8:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JUST BE THANKFUL YOU DONT HAVE TO DEAL WITH A DRIVER THAT CONSTANTLY RUNS STOP SIGNS! Yeah he rolls right through them, when he is questioned about it oh yeah it was a "johnny stop" BUT he will come to a complete stop at a RR track go figure!

quote:

I got this one driver, that has a record of write ups. Last year, he had three write ups:

Once for almost getting into an accident
Twice for dropping kids off in the middle of the street

He actually lives in my neighborhood, and he is also a crazy driver in his car. Frequently, my son has been telling me that he almost hit him with his car when he was was on his bike, and when he was walking.

This is the type of shmuck that when you yell at him, he understands for two days, and then forgets. Does anyone know how to make this guy remember and learn how to drive safely? If I keep writing him up, he will have to be fired and there are problems that arise from that.

This is the only driver I've been having CONSTANT problems with for the SAME THING.

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  12:07:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

... I'll tell you what has happened with the driver this topic is about. He is driving fine and understands and cooperates with all rules now. ... On Thursday, I was actually able to find his bus and follow it for 30 minutes in the afternoon. He drove exactly the same as he drove when I was there: Stopped at orange lights, drove at a safe speed, signaled, drove smoothly, and dropped the kids off at the appropiate location.

... I had a very serious talk with him about the way he drives in his car and he actually apologized to me. I had to apply a bit of a threat to make sure he really understood so I told him if there are any more incidents he will be dismissed. I explained he isn't currently at risk, but as long as he drives safely everything will be fine. ...

It went very well and I'm much more confident in this driver right now. ...

Did you really say all of the above?

If so, it sounds like you were invested emotionally and ready for a fight. When there was nothing to fight about the emotional investment seemed to vent in the conversation.

I see a mixed message delivered to that driver, perhaps unintentional but mixed regardless. My response would have been silence or playing to your ego.

The delivery, when considering the successes involved, might have been discussing what happens next when he continues to meet your expectations.

What does happen next that he didn't already have? Any follow-up planed within the week or the next week? Another "Thank You," without the down-side mentioned this time?

The congrats was in order, and perhaps mentioning the personal car issue was reasonable. The rest I'm not convinced was necessary.

And that word, "fine." When my wife says that word I back away while watching for a frying pan to fly in my direction.

I'm glad it all worked out and hope the driver maintains your expectations in the future.

Regardless, I'm not convinced that will necessarily be the case when he is driving his personal car. (jk)

Edited by - JK on 01/21/2007 12:17:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

kscalf

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  3:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit kscalf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It helps to assess the drivers willingness and ability. If the driver is willing and able, then coaching/training will help get the right behavior. If the driver is willing, but unable, it is possible that training will help. If the driver is either "unwilling but able" or "unwilling and unable", fire him. No amount of energy from you will solve the problem.
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  7:44:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kelly, I appreciate your suggestion and will always be open to your ideas, but I have resolved this incident with this driver and just like all of the other employees, he is operating a bus in a safe manner.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000