New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  04:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saturday, December 9, 2006 - Youngstown Vindicator, OH - YOUNGSTOWN — A former Austintown school bus driver who had been accused of accepting a $6,300 overpayment in a paycheck has sued the school district.

John Price of Canfield filed the lawsuit this week in Mahoning County Common Pleas Court. He cited breach of contract, defamation of character and wrongful prosecution.

He is seeking to be reinstated to his job, repaid lost wages and benefits and damages.

Schools Superintendent Douglas Heuer declined to comment.

Price had been charged with felony theft by deception. The charge was dismissed in September after he agreed at a preliminary hearing to reimburse the district for a $6,300 overpayment in one of his paychecks, officials have said.

Price had come to an agreement with the school district in which he was supposed to resign and use his retirement fund to reimburse the district. The charges were filed when several months passed and he hadn't made payment.

The lawsuit said the clerical error was made by the district and that Price notified his supervisor and was told the matter would be resolved.

source

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  06:07:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh you have to love these types of things. I once got a $1400 paycheck for driving the bus--and I assure you I didn't make that much--.

You certainly can't just take it...but my question is...where did the money go? I mean...did he spend it? Why use the retirement account? I you get a boatload of extra money and you know it's not yours...you don't spend it...right?

What a nightmare.
Go to Top of Page

william
Top Member

USA
1912 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  09:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Click to see william's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, let's examine this a bit. He receives a $6300 overpayment, does not return it although he knew it was an overpayment, makes an agreement to resign and return the money, yet has not, and complains of defamation of character. What character?

William
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  10:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by william

Well, let's examine this a bit. He receives a $6300 overpayment, does not return it although he knew it was an overpayment, makes an agreement to resign and return the money, yet has not, and complains of defamation of character. What character?

Have had this happen - it's so obvious - can't find a reason most any employee would somehow think the amount was intended. I kept mine a few days, photo copied it and sent copy's to my relatives bragging about my raise. And when my boss asked for the money back? My response: What money? That money? Can't give it back - spent it on a poker game last night with my rich fellow bus drivers.

Of course I still had the check in my pocket and made my boss tug a bit to get it from my clenched fingers.

Fun is fun, but to actually try to keep the money is not so fun or smart, in my opinion.

What did that bus driver do with the money? Hopefully it is still in an account and can be returned.

The local paper once reported typical annual incomes for certain positions at our school district. I was on that list making over $100,000.00 in annual pay. My phone rang off the wall from family and friends wanting to know how I was making so much money from that school district. More fun that went on for weeks. (jk)

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library
Post Check, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  12:33:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JK

The local paper once reported typical annual incomes for certain positions at our school district. I was on that list making over $100,000.00 in annual pay. My phone rang off the wall from family and friends wanting to know how I was making so much money from that school district. More fun that went on for weeks. (jk)

Oh ain't that just great. While it didn't come out in the paper, it came out during a board meeting and it showed 30 hours/wk NO MORE me making nearly $60,000 annually. Upon closer examination...they still had people on the list who had retired two and three years prior. Good for a laugh with friends.
Go to Top of Page

oubegood

2 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2012 :  04:39:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit oubegood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am john Price ,I did not spend it and I did report it . I did not use the account the money was put in and the facts are true .the school did not want my money it made them look bad for some reason probly because it exposed them and the bad accounability of their funds ,If it happened to me how many others did it happen to ?
I alerted them to the cash in my account .
Go to Top of Page

oubegood

2 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2012 :  04:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit oubegood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Funny how the Paper and news walk hand in hand to make people think the way they want people to think and it works . don't fall into the trap folks most people are honest people but have to protect themselves in some ways
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000