New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  07:30:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
December 3, 2006 — Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, NY - GATES — Safety on school buses has become a concern in Gates and Chili, and parents are pushing for cameras on all buses and attendants to ride with drivers. Parents also believe the district must communicate better and alert them whenever a fight takes place on a bus.

The district contends that extra measures are not necessary.

"Do we have some students who have misbehaved on the bus? Yes," said Richard Stein, Gates Chili superintendent. "One assistant principal rode the bus one day, and we have cameras on the bus. (The district has 90 buses. It currently has 17 cameras.) But I don't think we need to do any more."

The Oct. 4 bus ride was wildly out of control and ended with Leon Mickle, 14, assaulting (11-year-old Connor Cornell), according to affidavits from students, parents and school officials and Gates police reports provided to the state Department of Education.

Nationwide concern

The state Department of Education does not keep statistics on bus violence, but it is a nationwide problem. A Michigan teenager was charged with assault last summer after he hit a 10-year-old 15 times in the face and head on the bus.

In South Carolina in November, three girls started fighting on the bus, so the driver pulled over along the busy highway. Police and an ambulance were called to the scene.

Locally, a 16-year-old Geneva student was charged in November with criminal possession of a weapon after she brought a knife on the bus and started arguing with a bus monitor.

Meredith Wiley, state director of Fight Crime, said fighting on buses is something all school districts should monitor.

"It seems like we dismiss and write off the behavior as boys being boys in our culture," said Wiley. "It's a serious crime for the kids who are victimized."

Bus monitors

Jody Siegle, executive director of the Monroe County School Boards Association, said the state Legislature considered a bill eight to 10 years ago mandating that schools hire bus monitors.

But schools were concerned about the cost and about their ability to find suitable people, she said, and the bill went nowhere.

"You need someone whose time is flexible and can work well with children to gain their trust and respect," Siegle said. "It just can't be any adult."

Greece Central School District — which has more than double the enrollment of Gates Chili with 13,504 students — assigns 100 assistants to various bus routes throughout the district.

"When we have any disciplinary behavior problems, it helps to put an additional adult on the bus to maintain order," said Kathy Shero, Greece's director of transportation. "There are even some times when we let a substitute bus driver drive the route while the regular bus driver sits and observes the students."

In Gates, officials shortened some of the afternoon bus runs to avoid further problems. Some students ride on buses for as much as an hour. In addition, school officials plan to buy 25 more cameras for the district's 90 buses. It currently has 17.

Rhow said the district decided to change some routes more for efficiency than to control fighting. The district is not planning to add bus monitors.

"It's just kids being kids. We have talked to students about improving their behavior," she said. "We have good kids on the bus and have relatively little problems."

However, parents whose children rode the bus on Oct. 4 received a letter signed by Rhow stating that bus routes have been changed "in an effort to try and control order."

Meanwhile, both Shaw and Blackmon agree that the bus their boys ride needs monitoring. District officials recently showed them video of their children's bus ride during parent conferences after the incident.

"The kids were just out of control. The bus driver couldn't handle it," said Shaw.

"The first thing I thought is that these kids need assigned seats and an adult attendant to volunteer and watch them. Cameras can't tell kids to sit down and behave, and bus drivers are busy driving the bus."

full story

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  09:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by news

... The district contends that extra measures are not necessary. ... (The district has 90 buses. It currently has 17 cameras.) But I don't think we need to do any more." ... school officials plan to buy 25 more cameras. ...

... Rhow said the district decided to change some routes more for efficiency than to control fighting. The district is not planning to add bus monitors. ... However, parents whose children rode the bus on Oct. 4 received a letter signed by Rhow stating that bus routes have been changed "in an effort to try and control order." ...

... We have talked to students about improving their behavior," she said. "We have good kids on the bus and have relatively little problems." ...

... and on and on. These are intelligent responses? Does help explain some of the reasons their school bus environments are unsafe for children and hostile workplaces for their bus drivers. (jk)

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library
Post Check, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.

Edited by - JK on 12/03/2006 09:02:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sandra (Ennis) Nunn
Top Member

Canada
1180 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  10:08:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JK

quote:

... The district contends that extra measures are not necessary. ... (The district has 90 buses. It currently has 17 cameras.) But I don't think we need to do any more." ... school officials plan to buy 25 more cameras. ...

... Rhow said the district decided to change some routes more for efficiency than to control fighting. The district is not planning to add bus monitors. ... However, parents whose children rode the bus on Oct. 4 received a letter signed by Rhow stating that bus routes have been changed "in an effort to try and control order." ...

... We have talked to students about improving their behavior," she said. "We have good kids on the bus and have relatively little problems." ...

... and on and on. These are intelligent responses? Does help explain some of the reasons their school bus environments are unsafe for children and hostile workplaces for their bus drivers. (jk)

James, in another thread you said:
"I do not accept that most adults are naοve, per say. Ignorant and allowed to remain that way, or deliberately deceived concerning the school bus environments may be more accurate. A lie can save a lot of explanation. And believing a lie can accomplish the same thing."

This story demonstrates that to be fully successful those who deliberately set out to deceive should at least agree ahead of time on what lies will be told and get all parties on side before they tell those lies to the press.

But an industry insider once said that any bad press (even an unexplained death onboard a school bus) will eventually blow over and be forgotten by the public. If officials can just ride out the immediate storm no real change needs to be made. (sn)

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2006 :  11:05:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandra (Ennis) Nunn

... But an industry insider once said that any bad press (even an unexplained death onboard a school bus) will eventually blow over and be forgotten by the public. If officials can just ride out the immediate storm no real change needs to be made. (sn)

True enough for the short-term.

Regardless, as time passes and bad press continues concerning issue after issue the result is accumulative. The earliest incident is remembered with the help of the press. A pattern of disenchantment can eventually arise without a requirement of some sort to remember what got so many angry in the first place.

As far as lying to the community, few if any officials would think of their responses in those terms. They think more along the so-called for the good of the community. Most are trained how to be evasive and when doing so may present what looks like a conspiracy where no such activity exists. The tactic to evade responsibility may even be a learned skill from childhood, self-protective, and not requiring much internal communication among like-minded officials involved. (jk)

Post Check, Hostage Takeover, Bus Fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

Go to Top of Page

bosslady
Advanced Member

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2006 :  2:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As several of us have said before: if you have a bus driver who works to maintain good discipline and has the backing of the administration. If that bus driver is given the authority to maintain a safe, well behaved bus there will not be a lot of discipline problems.
I realize that rural midwestern America does not usually have the same kind of discipline problems that some of the larger cities but there are still problems. Our bus drivers are given real authority in dealing with the students and our principals stand behind our drivers. The drivers decide many times what kind of discipline should be given to someone who misbehaves. Sometimes it is just talking to a parent, or the student has to write sentences or an essay on bus safety. Sometimes they will get a written discipline sent home, sometimes they are off the bus for a while. I have even suspended some for the remainder of the year. Some of the younger ones will get a swat or two from the principal. The older high school students will get points added (50 points for all offenses at school or on the bus means automatic expulsion from school for the rest of the year.) THey may also have to serve detention after school & points. Many times when I call the principals about a student, they are stricter and more harsh than the driver and I would have been. They really do back us up.
You also have to have a driver who will maintain the discipline. Yes, it can be difficult to safely drive a bus and maintain good discipline but if you have the right environment on your bus it can be done.
I believe JK and I have much of the same philosophy when it comes to a safe environment on the bus.
I made the rules clear to the students. They knew what I expected and the consequences if they chose to ignore the rules. I also let them know that I liked them and was interested in them. I maintained a good relationship with my parents. I called them and gave them a chance to correct any problem. I also made sure that I praised the child who improved or changed their behavior. I have written notes to parents telling them what an improvement I had seen in their child. I have written notes to teachers, etc.
Even though the student knew they had to follow the rules they liked me and so did the parents. I had driven the same route for 18 years. My parents thought no one could drive their kids but me. I started driving in 1975. I now drive kids of my "buskids". They think it is neat when I tell them I used to drive their parents.
I am about to start on grandkids. I think I need retire!!!!

I also want to add that you must be fair to all the kids and treat them the same. Believe me they know if you don't. You must be consistant and don't threaten. If you say that you will do "so & so" if the student breaks the rules then you must carry through. They will know very quickly if you just threaten and don't carry through.

Edited by - bosslady on 12/04/2006 2:11:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  02:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EDITORIAL
Bullies aboard

Too many school bus rides become episodes in bullying

December 5, 2006 — Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, NY - For too many area students, the ride from home to school, and back again, aboard a crowded bus can be a daily exercise in humiliation and physical threat.

Sometimes, as in the case of a fight on a Gates Chili district bus, the problem is reported and procedural breakdowns are highlighted. But more often, bus bullying takes the form of harassment that is not reported, behavior that victimized children are left to deal with alone, afraid to speak up, afraid of reprisal.

Two state legislators have a bill working that essentially would makes some kinds of bullying a felony and push mandates onto school districts with regard to reporting and conflict resolution.

Better than state action are local districts that have firm procedures in place, including on-bus cameras, and the means to ensure any incident is reported quickly to the parents involved. Bus monitors can be an expense for districts, but this might be an area where schools seek volunteers to help.

The larger answer, as always, is for parents to impart the right values to their children and to discipline kids whom they know are inclined to pick on others.

School bullies likely aren't angels at home — parents ought not be surprised when word comes back that their child has been disruptive.

And conscientious parents know something else, too: A safe school bus ride begins before the first kid climbs aboard in the morning.

source

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  10:55:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The recent editorial, "Bullies aboard," brought some thoughts concerning this issue sent to the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle.

The Kameron Institute issued a report on bullying on school buses. They have surveyed some 30-thousand public school students, staff and bus drivers since 2003.

The results of the survey are:

• 12 Million Children Experience Bus Bullying Daily
• There are 50 million children in public and private schools.
• School buses transport half of this number or 25 million children each school day.
• 41% - Elementary Students report bullying happened on the bus that day*
• 52% - Middle School Students surveyed report bullying happened on the bus that day*

* Sample size 10,000 students. Margin for error plus or minus 5 percent.

Too often overlooked is the reality that school bullies can be found among adult school staff as well. And where this process of adult-to-adult bullying is occurring among school staff, that can be picked up by kids and acted out.

A school employee confronting bullying can find the grievance process brings a string of bullies responding to the complaint. Bully-styled management may trouble that employee's work duties, assign tasks with timelines impossible to meet, begin generating negative evaluations concerning that employee, and a series of subtle attacks - such as amplifying any small error the employee makes and ignoring the employee when asking for help with a job-related task.

The idea is to get the employee to fire him or herself - and it works!

The school bus seems another area given little attention in school related violence stories. We see the commercials on TV with mom and the kids at the kitchen table while the yellow school bus is approaching in another scene. It's comforting to know your child has a ride to and from school on the so-called safest transportation in America.

That is until you realize that yellow bus, if loud inside with kids screaming and moving about, has likely become a hostile environment for children and a hostile-workplace for their bus driver - a sometimes dangerous place where bullying escalates to assaults against kids and the bus driver, including sexual assaults on children as young as kindergarten age.

A fight on a school bus these days can include a gun, knife or other dangerous device brought from home and placing the children and the bus driver in immediate danger.

Sexual assaults on our Nation's school buses are reported on the increase. This is not something new or unexpected in the minds of our nation's veteran school bus drivers, but has been percolating on our school buses for at least a decade.

While many public school administrations have ignored, denied or declared these events to be rare on the buses, Carlyle Beezly, Head of the National Tennessee School Bus System, said about a decade ago that, "It is likely a young girl's first encounter with sexual harassment will occur on a school bus."

And while researchers are saying violence is down in our Nation's schools, because of increased security and anti-violence efforts, "a 2004 poll of 750 members of the National Association of School Resource Officers concluded school bus violence jumped 35 percent over the previous year."

It may well be that no where is bullying more out of control among adults than in public education, and now on the school buses.

The sad thing about bullying and harassment, especially on the school buses, is that these kinds of disrespect toward fellow students and the bus driver can be brought to a quick end. So what has happened these days that allows bullying to continue on our nation's school buses?

Plenty of workplaces do not allow employee bullying. You may be free of bullying where you work, but what about your children and your school bus driver? (jk)

Go to Top of Page

news
Top Member

Canada
2951 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  12:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Monday, 11/27/06 - GANNETT NEWS SERVICE, tennessean.com -

The Pupil Transportation Safety Institute has compiled a checklist to help school districts manage student behavior on the bus. Here are some of those tips:
• Post ridership rules on all buses and enforce them uniformly.
• Implement a progressive discipline policy.
• Require students and parents to sign safe bus behavior contracts each year.
• Bar students who repeatedly misbehave from riding until they or their parents attend safety class.
• Equip buses with cameras and overhead mirror so drivers can monitor student behavior.
• Staff buses with adult who sits with the students.
• Use commendations or other reward system to recognize positive bus behavior.
• Assign students to specific seats.
• Encourage drivers to learn students' names.
• Train drivers on working with parents when problems occur.

"Bullying occurs more frequently where there is less supervision. It's a crime of opportunity, and you're not going to do it where you're going to get caught," said Robert Shoop, a professor of education law at Kansas State University. "The school bus is a very fertile arena for inappropriate behavior."

full story

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  12:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

... "Bullying occurs more frequently where there is less supervision. ...

Well, yes. But what is to be done when management bullies their staff? What example does that set for kids to follow?

Sometimes making the employer aware does nothing but make them angry for hindering their "ignorance" plea. And when an employee becomes a target, "there is about a 70-percent chance of eventually being terminated.

** 37% of the Targets were fired or involuntarily terminated
** 33% of Targets quit (typically taking some form of constructive discharge)
** 17% of Targets transfer to another position with the same employer."

And this of note: "Bullying is done with impunity. Perpetrators face a low risk of being held accountable. Targeted individuals pay by losing their once-cherished positions." --The WBI 2003 Report on Abusive Workplaces

I would think first resolve any issues within staff, then tackle the kids. (jk)

Edited by - JK on 12/05/2006 12:23:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sandra (Ennis) Nunn
Top Member

Canada
1180 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  1:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JK

quote:

... "Bullying occurs more frequently where there is less supervision. ...

Well, yes. But what is to be done when management bullies their staff? What example does that set for kids to follow?

I would think first resolve any issues within staff, then tackle the kids. (jk)
Perhaps all occurrences of bullying need to be tackled... in a coordinated campaign. (sn)

"Schoolyard bullying - the torment of one child by another - is often compared to workplace bullying. Both types represent a grab for control by an insecure, inadequate person, an exercise of power through the humiliation of the target. School bullies, if reinforced by cheering classmates, fearful teachers or ignoring administrators, grow up to be dominating adults. When they join the work force, they continue to bully others."
from "Bullying in the Workplace" Safety Canada (September 2000)

Edited by - Sandra (Ennis) Nunn on 12/05/2006 1:35:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2006 :  6:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

... Perhaps all occurrences of bullying need to be tackled... in a coordinated campaign. (sn)

Not sure that would work very well - quite a huge project.

I would agree with Stephen Covey:

"Effective leadership is putting first things first. Effective management is discipline, carrying it out."

First stop bullying amongst the adults involved would make sense to me. (jk)

Go to Top of Page

Sandra (Ennis) Nunn
Top Member

Canada
1180 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  07:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JK

quote:

... Perhaps all occurrences of bullying need to be tackled... in a coordinated campaign. (sn)

Not sure that would work very well - quite a huge project.

I would agree with Stephen Covey:

"Effective leadership is putting first things first. Effective management is discipline, carrying it out."

First stop bullying amongst the adults involved would make sense to me. (jk)

Whether or not an anti-bullying campaign is launched, I believe that children must be protected from abuse, harassment and physical injury - including that inflicted by other children and including that experienced on the school bus.

Information on anti-bullying programs: The Olweus Bullying Prevention Program and Bullying Prevention is Crime Prevention. (sn)

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2006 :  09:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

... Whether or not an anti-bullying campaign is launched, I believe that children must be protected from abuse, harassment and physical injury - including that inflicted by other children and including that experienced on the school bus.

I agree.

The school bus is an excellent environment where a properly trained bus driver in violence prevention strategies can identify and intervene in a multitude of unwanted behaviors.

However, the level of skill necessary also clues the bus driver to deal with adults that are as violent as the kids. The same training provides how to deal with both bully children and bully adults.

Not that odd that many employers and the states have not provided that level of training to school bus drivers.

Effective training recognizes that the bully-style behavior in children and adults are very similar and are dealt with pretty much the same way. That can create some issues, in that the school and administration may not want their employees knowing how to confront them as well.

A coordinated campaign might be very effective in public education by properly training the bus driver to intervene in all bullying from kids and adults.

That training, it would seem obvious, would most likely have to come from outside the system, sufficient to remove the self-protection mechanisms, politics and control some employers and schools hold precious.

The answer is simple enough: College level Summer Institute Violence Prevention training - about $150.00 per employee for four or five days of seminars and workshops.

Takes about two summers of these shops to adequately energize a new mindset. However, such employees can then expect battle after battle with the adults at the dysfunctional schools they serve which most assuredly attempt to maintain a flow of excuses and indifference toward the issue.

And here is the next concern: Once a school bus driver reaches that level of management skill they are now professional managers. Such are wanted in a variety of employment environments and are sought after with offers of substantial increases in position and pay.

My Mrs. is such a person. She acquired a level of skill in SPEC-ED that she became over qualified and underpaid. She now makes many times what she made as a school bus driver and classroom aide combined.

She is now one of the highest paid employees at her facility after only eight years or so, and with a level of respect from management that was not hardly ever, if ever, matched in the public education system.

When a school bus driver becomes effective in meeting all the demands of the profession, soon enough they become over qualified because of an artificial deficiency in authority and pay this industry promotes.

To stop the exodus requires hiring the best character, training to become school bus Captains, and pay that retains.

Bullying can be brought to a halt? Yes, most definitely in most cases.

School bus driver shortage? Rubbish! (jk)

Edited by - JK on 12/09/2006 07:17:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

HEY BUSDRIVER

United States
5 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  06:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit HEY BUSDRIVER's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Come on! Its very simple.

1.)The parents are responsible for their students....if they can't behave...get them off the bus!

2.)"You get what you pay for"

3.) Leadership by example

Edited by - HEY BUSDRIVER on 12/09/2006 06:54:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  07:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(Note: my reply is bold formatted)

]Originally posted by HEY BUSDRIVER

1.)The parents are responsible for their students....if they can't behave...get them off the bus!

-It's not that easy- red tape, tons of it. Remember- (And why do I cringe on this, but in the same sense I agree with it)

We as school bus drivers are to provide excellent service to our customers. Who are our customers? The kids? Do we provide excellent customer service to the kids? I think we should provide a safe environment for the kids, a safe ride for the kids, safe transportation, excellent service for charter trips.

But "Customer Service" Our customers...Come on- Why am I saying this? Usually Customer Service- I think of retail industry- Do teachers provide CUSTOMER SERVICE to their students? They are allowed to remove children out of the classrooms more easily then we are able to have children removed from buses. Yet we are to provide customer service. Don't yell at the kids to quiet down- it's not proper customer service.

2.)"You get what you pay for"
What is this supposed to mean? Are you talking about wages?

3.) Leadership by example
Explain? Leadership by example from who?

[/quote]

Edited by - 80-RE4 on 12/09/2006 07:14:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  07:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HEY BUSDRIVER

Come on! Its very simple. ...

"1.)The parents are responsible for their students....if they can't behave...get them off the bus!"

That is somewhat simple where the system is not set up to raise kids for the parents and simply blames the bus driver for whatever goes amiss on the bus.

"2.)You get what you pay for"

Rubbish! Certainly not when concerning the current public education system.

"3.) Leadership by example"

Not sure what you mean here.

1 - Where the example represents adults bullying adults?

2 - Adults bullying kids?

3 - Kids bullying kids?

Adults that bully adults is a teaching tool for kids to mimic in their relationships with each other.

Adults bullying kids is not happening in the same peer group and for that reason is less of a threat, or at least is not the same kind of threat. A certain amount is even expected as perceived in the minds of some kids.

Kids bullying kids can be devastating to the school and school bus environment - leads to all sorts of academic learning dysfunction’s. Adults that bully adults can not see much of a problem or a solution that works, engage in denial or make other excuses, such as kids just being kids.

What actually may be somewhat simple can be greatly complicated by the ACLU mindset and other special interests, especially hostile or mollycoddling mindsets infecting the school and bus environment. (jk)

"Independent thinking alone is not suited to interdependent reality. Independent people who do not have the maturity to think and act interdependently may be good individual producers, but they won't be good leaders or team players. They're not coming from the paradigm of interdependence necessary to succeed in marriage, family, or organizational reality. --Stephen Covey"

Edited by - JK on 12/09/2006 07:58:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sandra (Ennis) Nunn
Top Member

Canada
1180 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  10:22:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HEY BUSDRIVER

I'm assuming that you mean "parents are responsible for their students" while they are on the bus - as you end by saying "if they can't behave...get them off the bus!"

That is not the case in all jurisdictions. I don't know what New York State's regulations are (where this story originated), but I do know that in Ontario, Canada, the Ontario Education act stipulates that school principals are responsible for their students while they are on the school bus.

R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 298
23(4).
Every pupil is responsible for his or her conduct to the principal of the school that the pupil attends,
(c) while travelling on a school bus that is owned by a board or on a bus or school bus that is under contract to a board.
Education Act, R.R.O. 1990, REGULATION 298, Amended to O. Reg. 132/05, OPERATION OF SCHOOLS - GENERAL, s. 23 (4c)

But I do agree with your statement "if they can't behave...get them off the bus!"

(sn)

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  11:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sandra, My best guess is that HEY BUSDRIVER is referring to misbehavior, in that parents can be held responsible for their children's misbehavior while riding the bus.

Although that expectation still holds true there seems an increasing demand that public schools raise children for the parents. Much more of that sort of thing going on and it is the schools then that become the parents, not the blood parents but still the parents.

When the school becomes the bus driver for the bus driver and the parents for the parents, who then is responsible for what? (jk)

Go to Top of Page

Sandra (Ennis) Nunn
Top Member

Canada
1180 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2006 :  7:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JK

...there seems an increasing demand that public schools raise children for the parents. Much more of that sort of thing going on and it is the schools then that become the parents, not the blood parents but still the parents.
That has not been my experience...
quote:
When the school becomes the bus driver for the bus driver and the parents for the parents, who then is responsible for what? (jk)
Nor do we share the perception of the school becoming the bus driver... (sn)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000