School Bus Drivers For Hire!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HollisterBus

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  11:26:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had an ad in the newspaper for 2 months on trying to hire 2 bus drivers. Doe's anybody have idea's on what would attract people in an ad for hiring bus drivers?. We all know money is always a eye catcher and district payed insurance policys are nice too, but there has got to be something else that would attract somebody in becoming a bus driver. Any idea's ???

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  11:46:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For our ads i noticed they always say "Bring your kids with you!" "Be off when your kids are off" "Play golf during your mid-day break...etc" give the minimum hours per week, maybe if you have A/C buses, say that, talk about the benefits and so on

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

bus724
Top Member

USA
1609 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  11:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit bus724's Homepage  Send bus724 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
"All buses have automatic transmissions and power steering."

It sounds like a no-brainer, but you won't believe the people that are turned away because they remember when they were kids watching their drivers get a workout trying to steer and shift gears.
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  1:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is that all you want - just two bus drivers? May I suggest you actually want two bus drivers now and a large waiting list perhaps by the end of this school year? If I am correct then read the following thread in its entirety.

In that thread can be found what you need.

Start at the first seemingly irrelevant post and read each post until the last. (jk)

Click Here for the thread

FREE School Bus Safety Ads & Photo Library
Hostage Takeover, bus fire and special effects photos now available Free to use at websites, in newsletters, memos, the local press, letters to parents and more. This is a very popular Website. If you can't get in bookmark the page and try again later.

There is no school bus driver shortage!
Properly train, effective support and pay that retains.
Go to Top of Page

mr.dave
Advanced Member

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2006 :  2:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When people learn I'm a schoolbus driver, the usual responce is " I wouldn't do that for all the rice in China. "

They just are afraid of the kids.

My main problem is the part time basis of the work. Perhaps if living expences ended over the summer.

Here in Texas a commercial driers license has negatives imposed by the state legislature that moving violations are no longer alowed difered adjudification. and the legal alcohal limit is half that of non-comercial licenses. This makes people less inclined to want to drive commercialy.

shalom dave

Shiny side up, greasy side down
Go to Top of Page

Ark

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  05:58:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My company offers a 1,000 dollar sign on bonus. It works for some if you have the stamina to make it through all the training and testing. I also saw some of the other local companys offering more. I think you have to stay for at least 6 months to collect it.
Go to Top of Page

HollisterBus

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  11:42:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1,000 dollar sign on bonus sounds great. Ark. What company do you work for? Are you with a school District?

Tony HatField
Go to Top of Page

OperationsM
Top Member

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  1:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit OperationsM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Atlantic Express gives a $2,000 signing bonus.

Hotel's Ford Girardin

Edited by - OperationsM on 09/25/2006 1:51:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ark

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  09:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HollisterBus

1,000 dollar sign on bonus sounds great. Ark. What company do you work for? Are you with a school District?

No, Im with a private company that is contracted by different school districts. Similar to Atlantic Express. The Districts pay a lot more, I believe, and have good benefits around here. They dont need a sign on bonus.
Go to Top of Page

Ark

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  05:46:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tony, how is it going, Have you gotten your new drivers yet? My company just upped the ante to $3,000 dollars for qualified drivers. LOL
Go to Top of Page

HollisterBus

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  05:52:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for asking Ark. The school board is looking very close at a couple of proposals I have given to the superintendent. My hire on $1,000 dollar bonus may happen around christmas time. The best investment has been on paying $40.00 dollars on a sign that said Hiring school bus drivers. I have hired 2 drivers and continue to recieve at least 1 applicat a day. I'll keep you posted.

Tony HatField
Go to Top of Page

Ark

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  1:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for asking Ark. The school board is looking very close at a couple of proposals I have given to the superintendent. My hire on $1,000 dollar bonus may happen around christmas time. The best investment has been on paying $40.00 dollars on a sign that said Hiring school bus drivers. I have hired 2 drivers and continue to recieve at least 1 applicat a day. I'll keep you posted.

Hey Tony, sounds like things may be looking up. Good Luck with the new applicants. Does your district train also, or do the drivers need to have prior experience?
Go to Top of Page

HollisterBus

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  7:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Ark,
It really helps when somebody comes in with prior experience,for me it saves me alot of time not to have to train a driver.I do train my own drivers,I am certified through the state to train , so yes our district will provide training. We will even pay for it if you stay with us a full year. Have a good day!

Tony HatField
Go to Top of Page

Ark

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  03:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hello Ark,
It really helps when somebody comes in with prior experience,for me it saves me alot of time not to have to train a driver.I do train my own drivers,I am certified through the state to train , so yes our district will provide training. We will even pay for it if you stay with us a full year. Have a good day!

Hi Tony, I was asking, because my company pays only half of the sign on for trainees. We also have signs in the windows of the busses that say "WE WANT YOU!! Become a cdl certified driver. We train. And the phone number to call. lol Have a good day T. I have to leave for work now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000