New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  3:36:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I know that Blue Bird Air Door switch is located on the right hand side of the driver on the All AMerican I ride on. Well my Question is where are the air doors switches loacted on other buses. When you close the door I seen on Blue Bird you hit the switch above the door and that lets out the air I think and you just push it close. Well on the THomas EF they open up the driver window and then she gets off and reaches up from the window and shuts the door and then closes her widnow and same to open it up? Why can't it be easier or why can't they have the Key thing out side that shuts and closes it like on a THomas RE 88 he has this key thing and puts a key in and the door opens?

BlueBird44-"44 Best Bus EVER!"

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2001 :  4:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well my Question is where are the air doors switches loacted on other buses.

Well, if you've ever visited my site, you'll see some interior pics of the dash of the Gillig. On the dash right under the small gauges, you'll see a small metal lever. Thats the main door opening lever.

Above the door, there's a small lever that acts as the emergency release lever. Once its pulled, the doors fly outwards.

Gillig - The Best Never Rest" http://www.geocities.com/gilligcoaches
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  03:35:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On older All American's Ex. 2000-2001, I know the switch is on the left side of the driver, what kind of switch is it? Is it a push-pull?

"Gotta Love Those Birdies!"
Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  06:15:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Older Blue Birds (all models) have the air door as a large push-pull valve. It actually resembles the black parking brake valve.

New Blue Birds have the rocker switch on the right for the AAs, and on the panel on the left for the TCs and CVs.

Thomas has always used a toggle switch.

AmTrans have always used the white plastic switch you turn to open the door.

I was looking over a spec sheet for a bid a little while ago, and the county specs said that the door switch must be a toggle switch...rotary switches are not acceptable. It also said that the release switch must be on or near the front header, as close as possible to the top of the door.

The bid included vandal locks on all doors, including the front air door. I've seen on some of their AmTrans, on the overhead switch panel, a switch labeled VandalLock, with a bottom "off" position and a top "unlock" position. Anyone know how this works?

Actually, this county also put in the specs that they don't want any overhead switches. The winning bid went to International for 78 pass REs and 60 cap W/C FEs.

—Phil

"It's the same way some people are obsessed with cars. I'm just weird."
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  07:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What does everyone think about the new location of the Air Door Switch on the All American?

Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  11:40:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I like the placement on the new AAs, although I think the door switch should be larger than other switches. Not so much on the AA, but on the other buses it just blends right in with everything else, and it could be hard to find before you get used to it.

—Phil

Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  12:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Thomas products, the air door switch is on the control panel, and there is usually an auxiliary switch near the door.

I'm not that crazy about the location of the air door switch on the AmTran RE. Its located on the far side of the dash, it seems like a pain in the neck to reach over and flip it.

If it's big and yellow, then it's a school bus!
http://www.geocities.com/jasonsbuspage
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  12:35:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Bus I rode on in Middle School was a Chevy Blue Bird and she had a Air Door. I think she had it installed after she bought it. SHe had arm/wrist problems so I think she had the manual door taken off and a air door installed. It was a huge red pull up and down switch on top of the control pannel. The switch that is on the All American 01 is on the right and small and black and blends in I haven't seen where it is or what it looks like on the 02. I rode on a 02 and it was a electric door it was on the right rocker switch style.

BlueBird44-"44 Best Bus EVER!"
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  1:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

On Thomas products, the air door switch is on the control panel, and there is usually an auxiliary switch near the door.

I'm not that crazy about the location of the air door switch on the AmTran RE. Its located on the far side of the dash, it seems like a pain in the neck to reach over and flip it.

If it's big and yellow, then it's a school bus!

On the Thomas I ride on it is the same as mentioned above.

"Blue Bird... Gotta Love Those Birdies!!!" www.schoolbusstop.cjb.net

Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  3:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually, the switch on the end of the dash on an AmTran RE is the manual switch. The main switch to open the door in regular automatic mode is that white plastic rotary switch in the middle of the left control panel.

—Phil

Go to Top of Page

s_adams1

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  8:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since we are on the subject of door controls. Would any driver care for a city transit style (i.e. horizontal lever on the left hand side)door control on a school bus.

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2001 :  8:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What does everyone think about the new location of the Air Door Switch on the All American?

Hi Kevin,

I'll be honest...I don't really like the placement of it. But, I think I can get used to it. I liked the large, black, push-pull switch that was on the previous switch panel. It was easy to find, easy to use, and in a great location to access it.

I was sitting in a brand-new '02 AA a few months back and I had the entrance door shut. I tried to open the door and it wouldn't open. Little did I know that I was pressing the switch the wrong way. I was pushing it to close the door, not open it. That's one problem with having a rocker switch for the air door. You have to get used to the set up of the switch and which direction opens/closes the door.

In addition, it's the switch is the same size as all the other rocker switches, and it blends right in. There's also a possiblity that a passenger either getting on or getting off the bus will push the switch while they catch the driver off-gaurd and that may cause some problems.

I think it could be labeled better and be made more distinct. For the amber lights ("manual") switch on the new switch panel on the Blue Birds, the outline of the switch is orange, and then there's an orange/reddish light that is illuminated to easily pick out that switch from the rest of the switches in that section. I love that feature. I think at least the same can be done with the air door switch.

I will say that the new rocker-style switches from Blue Bird seem to be more popular with most people than the previous push/pull switches. I think it's a step in the right direction, even though I'd rather have the push/pull switches. Just a personal preference and what I'm used to I guess.

Bob
(B. Busguy33)

"Blue Bird: Always flyin' high above the rest...
Blue Bird: One of America's Best!!! "
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2001 :  03:31:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't blame you B.Busguy, I also prefer the push/pull switches. Maybe it's because that's what we grew up with? We'll just have to get use to the new rockers, like you said, it's a step forward!

Let me get this right, the left control panel on the All American's are just for heaters and mirrors? And the right side panel is for the the lights and door?

"Gotta Love Those Birdies!"
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2001 :  04:28:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You know I remember back when the (Air Door) push/pull first came out! Drivers had a problem getting uses to it! This may be the sameway.
I kinda wish they left it over to the left of the driver still!

Go to Top of Page

cowlitzcoach
Advanced Member

USA
325 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2001 :  08:29:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit cowlitzcoach's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess I must be getting old because I remember the air door control on BB AA's as being a lever that was usually mounted to the left of the driver just below the side window. This back when AA's had the accessory panel above the driver's window.

The same sort of control was used by Superior and Carpenter. I don't recall any Wayne or Ward bodies that had a power door so I can't say how they worked.

Crown used a button to open and a button to close the door. The were chrome and looked sort of like a starter button.

Of all of the door controls, without a doubt Gillig had the best one. It was easy to use, it didn't look like anything else on the dash, it was conveniently located, and it always worked like a charm. I don't recall ever hearing of anyone with a Gillig having problems with the door control.

Personally I prefer door controls on the driver's left because it is easy to control the door while you are looking at the door. The transit style of door control is great in that respect.

When push comes to shove however, I will take any kind of power door over a manual door. I have opened a manual accordion door on a Wayne bus enough times to know a power door should not be an option but standard equipment.

Mark O.

Go to Top of Page

s_adams1

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2001 :  11:09:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bluebird is not the first bus builder to use a rocker switch that looks like all the other switches. My senior year in high school I rode a 1975 Carpenter/International conventional whose door control was a rocker switch on the left hand side and yes it looked like all the other switches. Also Ward used to have the two chrome buttons (1 open, 1 close) similar to what Crown used except that they were on the left hand side and were closer together.

Edited by - s_adams1 on 12/14/2001 1:58:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2001 :  11:24:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I wouldn't blame you B.Busguy, I also prefer the push/pull switches. Maybe it's because that's what we grew up with? We'll just have to get use to the new rockers, like you said, it's a step forward!

Let me get this right, the left control panel on the All American's are just for heaters and mirrors? And the right side panel is for the the lights and door?

Hey Bus Boy,

Yeah...I think since we have grown up around Blue Bird buses having the push/pull switches, we are probably very used to seeing them and that could be a reason why we like them, as opposed to the new rocker-style switches that Blue Bird uses. I'm sure (after a LONG while) we will get used to these rocker-style switches. Although, I do love the International/AmTran and Thomas rocker switches.

Basically, on the right switch panel on the AA's, you have the warning light switches, the air door switch, and the two warning light indicators (one amber, one red). There are also some heater/defroster switches and knobs to the right of the driver as well. These are located near the switch panel.

On the left side, there are the dome lights switch, the heated mirror and mirror adjustment switch, driver's light switch, and the switches for the fans. I have pictures of these new switch panels and I haven't looked at them in awhile. But I think that's what the set-up is. I'll have to go back and take a look at the pics again just to be sure.

Bob
(B. Busguy33)

"Blue Bird: Always flyin' high above the rest...
Blue Bird: One of America's Best!!! "
Go to Top of Page

busgonzo

15 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2001 :  2:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember driving a 1978 Superior Supercruiser that had a power door. IT was the style similar to the Crowns, Push 1 button to open and push another button to close. Those Supercruisers also had the largest Dash areas I ever seen on a bus and the control panels were located on the right side instead of to the left of the driver. It was such a "Bass Ackwards" bus anyway. We used to nickname it Bruiser due to the fact that the Pedestal seat was welded and it leaned to the right so every driver that sat there leaned and you ended up getting a sore back. Safety First, Armando M. Cuellar, Madison Elementary School District #38, Phoenix Arizona.

Go to Top of Page

chevybluebird

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  07:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Send chevybluebird an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Our 1998 bb freightliners have a small bleck push-pull air door valve on the left switch panel with a plate that says push to close pull to open.

Blue bird rules!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000