Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  7:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
of course, but I thought it was a lovely addition to the bus anyway. Does anyone know what the HDX's have for their style of cruise control?

Do the world a favor and bring back GMC and Ford conventional chassis......

Edited by - dem84skeeprollinup on 02/09/2006 8:18:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  05:34:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Quite true B. Busguy... From what I can tell from driving Thomas International's it seems in 1999 International added a red area on the engine temp. gauge. I have seen this on several operators buses so far, so I'm thinking it was a standard design change. So thats one "new in 1999" item. Also tilt wheel came a year or so earlier on the International's I believe, 1998 was the first?

In 1998, a few changes were made to the International 3800. Day-time Running Lights, an engine hour meter, and tilt wheel (I think) all became standard equipment on these buses.

In 1998, they also changed the design of the oil pressure gauge. Instead of reading 0, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, it just read 0, 50, 100. In 1999, as Barry mentioned, they changed the engine temperature gauge. Instead of 100, 180, 210, 230, the numbers were 140, 210, and 280. Aside from those changes, the gauges remained the same up until they discontinued the 3800 in 2004.

You will notice on 1995-1998 AmTran REs, they used a different oil pressure gauge. It was located below the air pressure gauge (instead of below the engine temperature gauge) and read "low" and "normal". The red-colored area on the gauge was low and the green-colored area was normal. I haven't seen this type of gauge on any other International products.
Go to Top of Page

DTC951

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  06:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Send DTC951 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that info. B. Busguy... I've noticed on the newer temp. gauges with '210' direct center the gauge sits there, unlike the older design, with 210 slightly to the right, over center. I'll have to check out the oil pressure gauge... Another mid 1998 change, the air parking brake. IHC switched to that uniform designed knob... Also lets not forget the older "small" gauge design from 1990-92. Anyone know how hard it is to put the white-faced gauges from the 03 CE in a 3800 IHC?

-Barry
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  07:11:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Anyone know how hard it is to put the white-faced gauges from the 03 CE in a 3800 IHC?

As long as it's a newer 3800, I don't think it's very difficult to do. From my understanding, the gauges on the '03 CE dashboard plug-in the same way as the gauges on the 3800 dashboard. I know of one contractor that swapped gauge clusters. They put a CE gauge cluster in a 3800 and vice-versa. I think it's pretty much as simple as swapping them out.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  10:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B. Busguy33

quote:
Anyone know how hard it is to put the white-faced gauges from the 03 CE in a 3800 IHC?

As long as it's a newer 3800, I don't think it's very difficult to do. From my understanding, the gauges on the '03 CE dashboard plug-in the same way as the gauges on the 3800 dashboard. I know of one contractor that swapped gauge clusters. They put a CE gauge cluster in a 3800 and vice-versa. I think it's pretty much as simple as swapping them out.

That did look pretty good the white faced guages on the 98 Thomas/IHC.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  12:13:40 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by subsbd

quote:
Originally posted by dem84skeeprollinup

of course, but I thought it was a lovely addition to the bus anyway. Does anyone know what the HDX's have for their style of cruise control?

http://home.comcast.net/~subsbd/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-2572723.html

To the left of the parking brake.

Interesting place, but I think it would be more ergonomic on the steering wheel.

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  12:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Considering that most drivers rarely use the cruise control, I feel there is absolutely no reason to place cruise control on the steering wheel. As long as it is within reach, shouldn't be a problem.

Go to Top of Page

ThomasER0005
Top Member

USA
576 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  3:44:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottybus45

i am no bot!!!! i just want 2 learn about buses since i am in training getting ready to drive buses!!!!!!!

ps what is bot?

How would you know if you werent a bot if you dont even know what they are?

Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  1:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Please try to keep on topic. I do not want to fill this forum with unrelated information. I know, I'm giulty of it too.

Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  5:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
On the Thomas HDX's the instument cluster is completly to the right of the steering columb. What do you think of its position?

Go to Top of Page

mrbluebird
Advanced Member

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  6:21:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit mrbluebird's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know this is an old topic, but I was thinking about this subject again. Being on the verge of all three companies redesigning their models, what do you think each company will change in their designs?

YOUR CHILDREN'S SAFETY IS OUR BUSINESS

Edited by - mrbluebird on 12/21/2006 6:35:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird62
Top Member

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  9:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the Thomas HDX's the instument cluster is completly to the right of the steering columb. What do you think of its position?

Personally I did not like it. I felt that I was taking my eyes off the road too much to check my gauges.

Although I like the looks of the HDX, I do NOT like the interior at all. Tiny foot pedals, gauges to the right of steering colum, the mirrors could hide a small family behind them, the up/down steering column...

The IC-RE's are ok except for some of the mechanical issues that I've had with them.

BB AARE's are still my favorite. I love the realiability, smooth ride, easy pre-trip, and drivers compartment.
Go to Top of Page

dem84skeeprollinup
Top Member

USA
888 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  06:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Click to see dem84skeeprollinup's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had drive train issues with any of these 3 buses? Also, Does the IC RE offer full passthru luggage compartments?

Go to Top of Page

PCW

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  10:04:28 AM  Show Profile  Send PCW an AOL message  Send PCW a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrbluebird

I know this is an old topic, but I was thinking about this subject again. Being on the verge of all three companies redesigning their models, what do you think each company will change in their designs?

I would like to see new exterior design elements on the RE from all three manufacturers. Thomas, of course, beat the others to it with the HDX but even that unit has become a little outdated. I would like the exterior mirros better if they weren't as bulky. I like the aerodynamics of the front and rear caps that make the overall bus more appealing.

IC and BB should take that into consideration (and I'm sure they have) to retain interest from current and prospective clientele. Gotta keep up with your competition and that's why we saw new enhancements among the Conventional models over the past few years.

BBAARE:
I would like to see a taller windshield and drivers window. When I sit upright the top of the window impedes my line of sight and I find myself ducking to see steet names and traffic signals. I would also like to see a tighter turning radius. Thomas is the only one I know of that has the tightest of the three.

IC-RE:
Also I would like to see a taller windshield. Same issue as in the bluebird. A new dash/component/ergonomic restructure would be nice. Out of all three, I feel that IC has the largest driver compartment and service door out there and I know that's important to my larger drivers :) Would like to see one more luggage bay like bluebird has for extra storage as well as having the accelerator pedal mounted to the floor. A larger rear emergency window as well as extra rear windows, like bluebird has, for more visability. Conserve space and have only 1 rear hinged engine door instead of two on either side which would open up the interior, perhaps for an additional row of seats.

THOMAS:
Could go for a smaller mirror assembly. Sometimes it presents a big issue for blind spots. Again, I would like to see a larger drivers side window. For some reason, they're small on all three RE units. Gillig and the Wayne RD9000 had good ideas for the drivers window...too bad it didn't catch on.

And those are my three cents...

quote:

Also, Does the IC RE offer full passthru luggage compartments?

Dems,

Yes, IC currently does offer full pass through luggage compartments.

Edited by - PCW on 12/22/2006 2:06:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

RD9000

72 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2012 :  11:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Wayne RD 9000 had an extremely large 4 piece windshield setup that really helped to eliminate blindspots. It also had a side driver's window that sloped down towards the front of the bus that helped to increase visibility. Unfortunately, Wayne hadn't experimented with better visibility on their entrance doors yet! They were still the old style Wayne doors with a couple exceptions- the mid-cross support was angled and they were outward opening instead of jackknife style.
As far as Thomas, they have certainly stepped up the game in the rear engine market. They've got European styling that is tough to compete with. Although bulky, their top hung mirrors I think help in mind of visibility of children crossing. The off-set guages are a little undesirable. They have made great changes in color/styling on their interiors as well. I appreciate the traditional Thomas roofline.
As far as Blue Bird, I am a fan of the older style of AARE and can't comment on the new style as I haven't seen it beyond the exterior. Blue Bird could certainly jazz up their driver's area. Although it's not fancy, it is very functional. I can't ever say I felt something in particular needed to be improved when I drove one. I was disappointed when they changed from their traditional metal access covers on the wire run above the passenger windows to the plastic/rubber rounded cover. I appreciate the traditional Blue Bird roof line.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000