Fluid Suggestions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  07:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys I have a question for ya'll. I want to know what would be the best fluids to use in my Ford because I need to change everything here soon and I don't wana buy anything that can or may harm the engine.

Just so ya know it's a 1985 Ford B-600 with the 370-2V (gaser) and has the Allison AT-545 auto tranny with it.

Want I need to change is: oil, radiator, transmission, powersteering (maybe not though) and any filters I have (oil & gas I think). I figured there's gotta be a few people on here that can help me. Thanks in advance!

Edited by - 98TomFord on 02/07/2006 07:15:37 AM

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  09:51:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pick a good brand of 15w40 for the engine. Don't go cheap here, or you'll pay for it later.
Allison "Transynd" full synthetic for the trans (VERY expensive, but worth it)
Fleetguard ES compleat anti-freeze.
Power steering, check to see which system you have, some use 30w engine oil, most fords use trans fluid.
Use Fleetguard filters if you aren't going to use OEM.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  04:10:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with all. However, using Transynd fluid in a older AT-545 is overkill and not worth the cost, in my opinion. Keep a good Dexron in it, unless it's an almost new or new rebuild. It will live a long life and be infinitely more affordable to operate. If it was new or nearly new and you planned huge things with it (tens of thousands of miles)I might reconsider.
Good luck, whatever you decide.
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  11:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with wagonmaster. Although you could not do better in quality the cost is prohibative to put Transynd in an AT545. Drop the pan, change the internal filter, poor in Dexron III. Change it out every year or 25,000 miles which ever comes first.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  12:11:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you guys for those suggestions. I can't do nothing for awhile because the weather has been too cold to change things, but I really do appretiate (can't spell lol). Everything is orginal about the bus, nothing has been replaced or rebuilt.

Here's an other question that I should know already but don't, how much in quanity (like liters or gallons) of all this stuff am I going to need to purchase, I know it's gona be double-triple the amount you'd put in a car but I wana know exactly or close to the right amounts to get this way I'm not spending all my money lol. Thanks again guys!!

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  10:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our AT's weren't making it to 25,000 miles. We have a hilly terrain, with under-spec'd buses. I went from replacing 8 or 9 545's a year to one, which wasn't a fluid related failure. For my money, the cost of the fluid isn't prohibitive, but for a single vehicle operation, that may not apply.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  12:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 98TomFord

Here's an other question that I should know already but don't, how much in quanity (like liters or gallons) of all this stuff am I going to need to purchase

I understand what you are going through. All of these other guys are talking about maintaining their million dollar fleets, and you got an older bus that is a school district reject. I would stick with a good name brand of dexron transmission fluid. You will need 4 gallons to start with on the refill. You dont need the expensive stuff, it's nice but not necessary for your application. If you want to go a few steps further, although guys here will tell you not to, change the sump filter in the transmission as it's probably been ages since it's been touched.

That engine is probalby going to take 7 or 8 qts of oil, but it's always best to buy a case or two so you have extra, because that engine is going to use some oil. Since it's a gas engine, I'd go with SAE 30, and go with a WIX or Napa Gold filter.

To help matters, drain the radiator and flush out the system.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  7:13:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much BaptistBusMan, that information from ya is what I've been needing to know for awhile. I would have never thought of changing the TransmissionFilter either, so thank you for that idea. Yes I do own a older bus but its no where near reject level And I must say you have a nice fleet of buses in that picture too. They are all clean looking and that's always a plus in my book Here's a pic of my pride and joy - my 1985 Ford B600 that needs a good fluid flushin lol...

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  7:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
awesome bus. I'd love to get my hands on that thing! I would trade every bus we have for a nice set of gassers. I'd stick with the manual transmission though, but yours is awesome.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

synman

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  7:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit synman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 98TomFord

Hey guys I have a question for ya'll. I want to know what would be the best fluids to use in my Ford because I need to change everything here soon and I don't wana buy anything that can or may harm the engine.

Just so ya know it's a 1985 Ford B-600 with the 370-2V (gaser) and has the Allison AT-545 auto tranny with it.

Want I need to change is: oil, radiator, transmission, powersteering (maybe not though) and any filters I have (oil & gas I think). I figured there's gotta be a few people on here that can help me. Thanks in advance!

Go to Top of Page

synman

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  7:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit synman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
since you asked- amsoil 5w30 fuel efficient heavy duty diesel oil-torquedrivesynthetic transmission fluid,propylene glycol antifreeze and coolant,also 75-90 long lifegear lube.contact amsoil.com for your nearest dealer.You can also use amsoil filters or donaldson filters thru amsoil.

Edited by - synman on 02/10/2006 7:45:40 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000