New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  5:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a locked up fan clutch on a 1989 TC2000.

How should I go about getting it off? From the inside top of the engine, or should I take the front off the bus offand tilt the radiator out?

It looked like an easy job until I started messing with it.

Also are these fan clutches available after market or is this something i gotta get through cummins? I have one on an old bus that has a blown engine, and I'll more than likely take the f/c off that one instead spending $800+.

See, diesels may be more economical, but if this was on a 345 IHC or a 366 Chevy, I would have had it off already, been to NAPA and had the bus back together and running. Diesel engines = so are bluebirds

Edited by - baptistbusman on 01/10/2006 5:43:51 PM

charwood

12 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2006 :  8:47:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have done it both ways. Save your pain, suffering and chiropractic bills and go ahead and pull the front off. It can be done from the top inside but you also risk damage to your radiator if your not very careful. CW
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  9:26:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Why is it locked up? It might not be the problem. Make sure it is wired properly and getting the proper signal first.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2006 :  10:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im sorry, I should have specified that it is a mechanical not electrical fan clutch.

Thanks for the response tho

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  08:26:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a part number for this clutch? No one, including blue bird seems to have it, because....blue bird discontinued it! They said i need to upgrade to an electric fan clutch. That stinks. Everything on these things is disconontinued. Pure junk. If everyone ever tries to bring another one of these pieces of junk on the lot again.

Anyhow. Now i have to go out to old 36 that was blown up in Louisville a few years ago, and tear it apart to get it's fan clutch off. I hate putting in all of these man hours just to replace it with a used fan clutch.

And plus now, what happens when the other 6 TC's fan clutches go out? Grr I hate bluebird.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Edited by - baptistbusman on 01/13/2006 08:50:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

LPSMECH

90 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2006 :  10:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have the old clutch off, take it to your local auto parts store. It might match up with the early Dodge trucks with the Cummins. Just a thought.
Last week I bought a tensioner, idler pulley, and water pump for a 1999 TC with the 5.9 at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Good luck.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

hastings

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  1:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit hastings's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I might be able to help, if its not to late, we carry a full line of aftermarket fan clutchs. Just have the old clutch off and a tape measure and give me a call @ 734-479-4805. I am a parts rep for Michigan Bus Parts in Detroit , MI

Matt Hastingshttp://www.michiganbusparts.com/
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  7:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, but yesterday I took an old fan clutch off an old bus with a blown engine. Froze my rear end off. Thanks tho, I will keep you number handy for future reference.

Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  08:02:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes on Bluebirds harness, you will find that the connections for the electric fan clutch are there. It's a real simple circut and the clutch is held on with 1 bolt. Does it have shutters?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  08:10:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm rebuilding a fire damaged 98 CSRE,for a city bus contractor. So far Bluebird has everything including the wiring harness! Maybe you aren't getting the right parts man. The A-6 compressor on the left smoked the clutch, throwing sparks at the oily cummins engine. Up in smoke... Air brake hoses and all melted down. I was the only one who even bid on the job. At 198,354 miles I wonder if the 25 cents per passenger the city charges paid the bus off yet?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  1:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought about converting it to an electric clutch, but I still had one clutch left over on an out of service bus.

More to the story tho. The original bus that had the locked up clutch also had the fan blades torn to shreds, there was a piece missing off each blade. Well with the new clutch I got off the retired bus, I also used the fan itself; same model bus, same engine.

Well i got it all back together, started up the bus and the stinkin fan was hitting the shroud. Everything was on correctly, and lined up. I examined it for a week straight looking for the cause. I even had 2 other mechanics look at it and they were puzzled.

So...dont kill me....I took a dremel tool and cut off a little bit of each blade so it wouldn't touch the shroud anymore....works fine now

Edited by - baptistbusman on 01/28/2006 1:10:46 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000