New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2005 :  9:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted here a few months back asking about diagnostic software. What do you guys use? Everyone has their own programs, cables and interfaces. With today's new data stream multiple ECU setups its a nightmare. Take for instance a Bluebird. Cat ECU, Allison ECU, Wabco ABS, and Actia IP. All these ECUs talk to each other on a data stream. Does anyone know of a program that will read them all? I sometimes get in the middle of things between Cat,Allison and Bluebird in the warranty politics, when all I want to do is get the bus back running again. I know some of you get software in with your bus bids. So give me the scoop, what works?

I use the Tech2 on all my medium duty GM and Isuzu trucks and it reads everything but the blasted C7's. Hmmmm I wonder why GM is pushing the Isuzu engine? 7.8 Liter and quiet as a mouse.

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2005 :  07:50:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If only we would all get together and force the automotive manufactures to adopt a common diagnostic system. The OEMs have even prevented aftermarket scan tools from being able to perform all tests.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  08:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe that "AutoTap" sells a dedicated Truck version that will communicate with ALL the ECUs on the data link. As I recall from a friend of mine who knows the principals at this firm, they are the OE CAT software developer.

Linky: http://www.autotap.com/autotap_for_windows_trucks.html

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2005 :  5:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Hartnett

If only we would all get together and force the automotive manufactures to adopt a common diagnostic system. The OEMs have even prevented aftermarket scan tools from being able to perform all tests.

The automotive manufacturers are required by law to have a data link connector under the drivers' side dash. A data link connector is there so you can hook up a scan tool to read the codes, perform system tests, etc.

I think that's what you're talking about.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  07:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
AUTO manufacturers MUST provide an "OBD-II" port and a standardized data method in every unit sold in the USA snce 1996. This is called being "OBD-II Compliant".

There is NO SUCH REQUIREMENT for medium or heavy trucks. They are free to use any form of diagnostic connector for any ECU system, even more than one if they choose. They also DO NOT have to use and standardized data format as do the automotive manufacturers.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

magstan2

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2005 :  2:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the Eaton MD-200 to read generics for engs, abs. I use the PC version from Alison doc for the trannies. I also use the subscribed service from Cummins for our ISB engines. I use the new data link setup from I/C for the dt466's. Yeah, our school has spent a lot of money on software, but it really helps out. We are going to try and stay with I/C from now on which will help with commonality of parts and diagnostics. I don't have anything to read specific info on Cat or MB900, just generics on these two. But since we only have 2 MB900 and 2 Cat 3126, 1 Cat C7, I can't see spending anymore on test equip. mike
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  10:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told the CAT et will read on a cummins anyone tried it?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  10:05:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to research this a little more. It's all broken down into binary communication on a class 2 data stream I am told. AutoTaps program might be the ticket. E-mail me if anyone uses it here. I have a few questions.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000