New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  12:21:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many district teach student how to use the emergency exits properly?? I mean, teach them how to use them in the case of a real situation. These exits include: back emergency doors, push-out window, side emerency doors and roof hatches.

My district last year, had the manager of the company bring a bus to the elementary school and had each class in the building, one by one come on the bus and there were taught how to use them. Now, they didn't do this for the middle/high school level. How many think that they should have done it for this level??

"Gotta Love Those Birdies!"

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  1:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since we don't have push-out windows, we do however teach proper use of the emergency exits for all grade levels.

We teach safe exiting, and we also instruct students to take all safety equipment, I.E fire extinguishers, first aid kits, and road reflector kits out of the bus. Then, as soon as everyone is exited, we go to a safe place away from the bus, and usually the person responsible for retaining the fire extinguisher usually is taught how to use it in case of fire.

We also teach how to deploy the road reflector kit, and how to use the first aid kit if necessary.

"Preserving America's best - THE GILLIG! - THE BEST NEVER REST" http://www.geocities.com/gilligcoaches/
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  1:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We also teach them how to disengage the roof hatches and if absolutely necessary, we also teach (but do not actually demonstrate) the students on how to kick out the windshield.

"Preserving America's best - THE GILLIG! - THE BEST NEVER REST" http://www.geocities.com/gilligcoaches/
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  1:51:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ALL age groups and ALL school districts should do this. The drivers should also do this whenever the buses are used on field trips, sporting events, etc. This will ensure that EVERYONE knows how to use the emergency equipment properly and effectively, if the need arises.

My district does this once every year when they teach bus evacuation. I think all school-aged children are taught this. The junior high and high school kids ride on the bus at the same time so they do this at the junior high school. For the elementary school students, I think they do it at the elementary school. My district usually does this in October or Novemeber. One year they didn't do it at all.

I also think that this should be taught more than once a year. I'd say once every term should be sufficient. That way, everyone will get taught these procedures 4 times a year. If they miss it once, then they have 3 more opportunities to learn how to use the emergency equipment. For example, if a student who rides a bus in my district isn't on the bus the day that the driver does the evacuation/emergency drills, then they miss it and it never gets taught to them. Then, if an emergency arises, they may not know exactly what to do.

Bob
(B. Busguy33)

"Blue Bird: Always flyin' high above the rest...
Blue Bird: One of America's Best!!! "
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  2:00:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My district doesn't do this...they should though. They had to stop because during one of the emergency evacuation drills someone jumped out and hurt his ankle. The parent complained and the district was forced to stop. Some people just need to lighten up!!!

Stop at: www.buses.cjb.net
Go to Top of Page

MamaLoca
Advanced Member

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  4:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit MamaLoca's Homepage  Send MamaLoca an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here in New York State we are required to conduct three evacuation drills every year.

The policy is
Emergency doors = if the bus is upright
Roof hatches = if the bus is on it's side
Emergency windows = if the bus is on it's roof.

Needless to say we have never practiced the use of the roof hatches or windows. We do, however explian thier use as well as the use of the kick out windows.

Several years ago the HighSchool and Middle school took it upon themselves to post teachers in the bus circles during drills. They would open the rear doors before the bus was bearly stopped and evacuate the children.
Many of the drivers resisted this and after about two years we were successful in stopping the practice. We were allowed to conduct our drills with our own students and do a short explaination of what proceedures needed to be followed.

All of my students MUST leave all backpackes and whatever on the bus. I take two students out the back door with me and place one on either side of the door facing me, I stand directly in front of the door to spot the kids who stumble, the rest are required to place one hand on the helpers shoulders before coming out the door. If they bring anything with them or leap out the door I make them do it all over (actually I threaten to give a Bear Hug to anyone who leaps out the door). We only did it once and they learned thier lesson. They then line up at the door to get back on to get thier gear. It takes some time but it's worth the effort.

Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
http://www.canandaiguaschools.org/bus/

Edited by - MamaLoca on 11/12/2001 4:07:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  5:59:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was in school, our district had one bus evacuation drill per year for all age groups - elementary, middle and high school. I think that having each age group go through it is important, but I also think that one per year may not be enough as some students may be absent on the day that it takes place.

I drive for a private company in Calif., and before leaving on a field trip, we are supposed to give a short safety speech. In that, we tell where each emergency exit is located and how to operate it (the bus I normally drive doesn't have any push-out windows or roof hatches). We also tell where the fire extinguisher and first aid kit is located.

Take care.

The Buskid - CrownBus32@aol.com - http://www.crownbus.com
Go to Top of Page

Brian M. Babcock
Advanced Member

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  7:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brian M. Babcock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In Ohio we are required to do two evacuation drills per year for each bus load. One drill is a front/back which half the students exit out of the front of the bus and I believe the other drill can be of the drivers choice. Our district designates two kids on each bus to sit in the rear seat to operate the emergency door and help kids off the bus in the event a drill or emergency situation is encountered.

http://montell305.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2001 :  7:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Please take the information card out of the seatback in front of you and follow along while I demonstrate the safety procedures for you aboard this 77 passenger Thomas Conventional School Bus.

Please locate the emergency exit nearest your seat remembering that it may be located behind you.

In the unlikely event of an emergency if a life raft is needed you are to use your seat cushion as a floatation device.

Anyways I thought I would first have a little fun with the procedures you hear everytime you board an aircraft.

We do a drill once a year, half the bus out the front the other half out the back. We are pretty lax on this, and it annoys me, I think it should be done twice a year, and there should be more to it. We are still stuck in the days when all buses had were the service door, and the rear emergency door, even though all of our regular route buses have 8 exits now.

Thomas Built Buses- The best buses on the road.
Posts dedicated to 86-A. The best will never be forgoten.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  03:40:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We also do bus evacuations once a year. All we do though, is the front half of the bus go out the front door and the back half go out the back and that's it. We should be taught more!

"Gotta Love Those Birdies!"
Go to Top of Page

MamaLoca
Advanced Member

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2001 :  09:05:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit MamaLoca's Homepage  Send MamaLoca an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Did our Second Evac Drill today for the Primary Elementary kids, Middle school High School are tomorrow. We will have our last drills in April.

The kids did wonderfully. They were bickering over who would do what and I told them they all need to be able to do these things (i.e. fire exstinguisher, first aide kit, door helpers.)

Go to Top of Page

MamaLoca
Advanced Member

USA
400 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2001 :  09:28:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit MamaLoca's Homepage  Send MamaLoca an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If they bring anything with them or leap out the door I make them do it all over(actually I threaten to give a Bear Hug to anyone who leaps out the door).

I got to hug three Hignschoolerswhen they jumped out the door. They did good.

Go to Top of Page

jimbo20

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2001 :  11:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HAS ANYONE NOTICED THAT THE SMALLEST WINDOW ON MOST BUSES IS THE EMERGENCY EXIT ?
WHY IS THAT ?
JIMBO

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2001 :  12:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The reason that the exit windows are so small is that they have to make room for the hinges and handle assemblies. They could make it the same size as the rest of the windows, but that would involve cutting into the roof. Thomas exit windows aren't that much smaller, but I noticed that Blue Bird exit windows are considerably smaller!

Stop at: www.buses.cjb.net
Go to Top of Page

busdrivinwoman

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2001 :  09:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Ohio it states in our rules and regulations that emergency drills must be done 3 times per year with every grade level.
1. all students exit out the back
2. all students exit out the front
3. half go out the back and half go out the front.
We explain this to the children at every emergency drill we must do and also explain the roof hatches and the emergency windows. This year we also added in our k-3 training the proper emergency drills.

These emergency drills are to be done by each individual driver. We discuss a good day in advance and call the schools to make them aware of it.

safety is number one, ohio school bus driver
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000