Fuel economy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Berend

Netherlands
1 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  10:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am considering buying a 30 to 50 seats schoolbus for use in Europe. Since fuel prices at our side are very high fuel consumption will be very important. What can I expect for fuel consumption? Which engines (diesel) are the most economical? Hope someone can help?

Cheers, Berend

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  11:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Buses in my fleet are Blue Bird AAFE, 7.5 to 8.0 mpg on route and as high as 13 on highway. Blue Bird AARE 6.0 to 7.0 mpg. Cummins ISC engines in AARE and Cat C7 in AAFE.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  09:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fuel economy? I do believe that is an oxymoron.
We run 40 54 passenger buses, some Cummins B engines, some ISB engines, and some International DT466E's, 230 & 260 hp. The DT's at 260hp seem to be the most efficient, but they are also the newest (around 11 mpg). If you are going to spec a bus, don't spec an engine that is at the top end of it's hp range, the larger engine w/ more horsepower will not need to work as hard and will produce better fuel consumption results.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  12:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
rs,

My data conflicts with yours, both are probabally valid however.

I have found a smaller equally powerful engine (DT360 210 vs DT466 210 for example) will return better efficiency under very similar conditions.

One thing is absolutely certain, it take MORE FUEL to make MORE POWER.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

Dieselmech

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  08:50:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dieselmech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One thing to consider also when looking at a vehicle for fuel economy is the gear ratio. I have found and had to change many gear sets for people over the years because the dealer sales man sold a bus with the wrong gear ratio. Final drive gear ratio in relation to what engine you have and it's peak operating RPM range play's a huge role in the amount of power and fuel economy you get.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000