New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  2:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bus as well as all other buses have onstop chains. What are they used for? Do the wrap around the tires?

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  2:53:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These chains are used for better traction in the snow/ice. They wrap around the tires. If they are automatic, it's easier for you. And if they aren't...well have fun on the ground
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  2:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chains, in many cases, are just a waste of money if you ask me, except in some situations, such as if you have buses in the Lake Tahoe-area, as an example.

We have some operations in my area that spec chains, but there is really no need. Large buses are so heavy, they can get through 8+ inches of snow with not much of a fight. If you have that much snow, no real reason to have school anyway (unless you're in an area who gets it every day!)

Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  3:01:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
THE LCPS Buses have the automatic chains where you press a button you have to get up to a certin speed to release them like 45 or 25 MPH (forget how much it is) and to put them away.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  3:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chains in Virginia? Call me crazy, but that seems ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

CrownBus1
Top Member

USA
633 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  3:12:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The newer (say post 1995) buses in my district have automatic chains. The older ones don't, and the drivers have to put them on themselves. They really don't have much choice putting the chains on because every time we get more than a few inches of snow the highway patrol requires all vehicles (buses, cars, trucks, whatever) to put chains on. This is because I live in the Southern CA mountains where all the roads are very steep and windy.

Bus 1
1985 Crown
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  3:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Richard, don't confuse Virginia with Florida! It snows here...sometimes a LOT....granted not near as often as NY. Icy roads are a bigger problem, all ya need is H2O and a temp of 32F or below....both of which are quite common in Virginia in the winter.

All our buses have chains but they are rarely used....mainly because they close schools (or open late) at the first snowflake. They are gunshy after what happened a few years ago....they gambled, opened the schools and wrecked 36 buses that day!
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  3:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Some of Loundoun county are in the Mountains and they get the snow alot. Lcps gets off a lot more then some of the county's near us.

Was that last year IC? I remeber going to southlakes and I hit the brakes and the abs kick in it was so icy.

Edited by - Drew19 on 08/23/2005 3:47:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  3:49:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is a little ridiculous, however, Loudoun County still has MANY undeveloped areas that do not get plowed in the event of snow, and since the rest of the county does, school must go on, so they have chains to help on those un-plowed roads!
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  3:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Also where my cousin lives in Winmester county maryland right near PA, they get lots of snow and a little cooler then the rest of maryland and, northern va,
Go to Top of Page

thomas91
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  4:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone ever operated a four-wheel drive school bus?
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  5:59:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We don't close unless we have at least 6 inches of snow, maybe less if there is enough blowing and drifting. We do not have chains on our buses. If you have a lot of steep roads then they sound like a good idea to me. As for flat terrain it seems as if chains are not necessary. School should be called off at the first site of ice, it is extremely dangerous and buses should not be driving in it.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  6:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IC, do we have automatic chains, or do you have to pull them out manually? Here we close at the idea that it will snow, we close if it is in the forecast, gosh we are babies! LOL. We closed one day because it was GOING to be too cold!
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  6:07:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In the county that you live in ic re you don't have automatic chains you have to prop the bus and up and put it on. you can tell if you bus has automatic chains and see it under the bus and you can hear the chains when the bus is in motion, THE lcps HDX and has a button for the automatic chains and it look like a missile button.

Edited by - Drew19 on 08/27/2005 3:59:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  6:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, ok, thanks Drew19! If there is ever snow, our schools aren't open so I will never see them on a bus!
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  6:44:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC-RE.....no automatic chains on our buses, though I hear County fire engines have them. They are regular chains in a canvas bag stored in a side compartment. Also provided is a wooden "chock block", which is a piece of 4X6 with an angle cut on one end. You place the chock block in front of the INSIDE tire and drive the bus up onto the block. This raises the outside tire off the ground so you can put the chains on it. (Only the outside tire gets chains).
Go to Top of Page

Superamic

44 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  7:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember years ago the tire chains in a box under one of the last-row seats (old gas-engined Wayne conventionals and similar). However, I don't think the newer, heavier diesel buses (e.g. All-Americans) being spec'ed in many of our local districts are being supplied with them.
Go to Top of Page

YardBird
Advanced Member

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  07:46:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bus Boy

My bus as well as all other buses have onstop chains. What are they used for? Do the wrap around the tires?

We have Onspot chains here in our district. Lots of steep hills and narrow, winding roads here.
They're used as traction devices. They work pretty much like regular old chains, just they're easier to put on and stow-just flip a switch.

The business end of the Onspot looks kinda like a star made out of chains that spin on a central hub attached to an arm that goes to an air chamber. When you activate them, the arm drops until a little rubber wheel contacts the inside of the inner rear tire (This is what "powers" the chainwheels) and the inner tire runs over the chains that are now spinning at ground level. Because the chains are friction powered by the tire-the chains just keep getting thrown under the wheel as long as it is rolling.

The reason you have to be moving to engage/disengage the chains is because if you're stationary when you drop them, they won't go under the wheel. If you're stopped on top of them, they won't raise until you start moving again.

Sure! I'll pick your kid up closer to the house... Widen your front door!

"I LOOOOOVE MY UNION!"

Edited by - YardBird on 08/26/2005 07:47:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

deleon

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  2:47:39 PM  Show Profile  Send deleon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
well in buckingham va we are just like ic-re say there are and we close and we have chains on the buses and we have used them before but they mess up the under body of the bus and it is a big problem that some time they over look them and dont care about them

DeLeon Anderson
bus 20
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  6:41:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
we have used them before but they mess up the under body of the bus and it is a big problem that some time they over look them and dont care about them

The chains mess up the chassis/under body of the bus? Yeah, I find that hard to believe.

Go to Top of Page

Salaskie
Advanced Member

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2005 :  12:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Salaskie an AOL message  Send Salaskie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Go to the OnSpot web site. They have a wonderful description of how they work, plus video. I use the site for training purposes also. InstaChains have one also.
Go to Top of Page

deleon

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  06:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Send deleon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich Solano

quote:
we have used them before but they mess up the under body of the bus and it is a big problem that some time they over look them and dont care about them

The chains mess up the chassis/under body of the bus? Yeah, I find that hard to believe.

that was what my driver told me that why dont use them

DeLeon Anderson
bus 20
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000