Radio Frequency
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  3:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure where to ask this at.

I'm thinking about getting a scanner and try to pick up the bus radio frequency that my county uses. I'm wondering if it is possible. If so, about how much would it cost?

I'm wondering because today was the first day of school for my county and I miss riding the bus and listening to the drivers talk on there.

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  4:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure you could pick up an inexpenive scanner at someplace like Radio Shack. Most bus companies would probably use the frequencies just up from the 2M or 70CM bands.

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  03:55:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. You could probably find a really nice, but inexpensive scanner at radio shack. Just out of curiosity what kind of radios are used on your county's buses? Over where I am, we use Motorola MCS 2000 radios.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  04:53:59 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Newport News has Motorola radios on our buses as well.
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  5:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My county uses Kenwood radios.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

ThomasER0005
Top Member

USA
576 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  3:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use Motorola.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2005 :  6:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC RE 1629

inexpensive...radio shack

You might want to check into that. Those two words just feel like an oxymoron. I tried to buy an antenna from them... Five years ago it was $13. Last year, when I went to get a second, it was $44.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

GMCBlueBird83
Top Member

USA
1478 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  05:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit GMCBlueBird83's Homepage  Send GMCBlueBird83 an AOL message  Send GMCBlueBird83 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ford 85-16

quote:
Originally posted by IC RE 1629

inexpensive...radio shack

You might want to check into that. Those two words just feel like an oxymoron. I tried to buy an antenna from them... Five years ago it was $13. Last year, when I went to get a second, it was $44.

LOL Mike! I can totally relate to that. I've been calling Radio Shack "The Ripoff Store" since I was about 10 years old. I have yet to find a good deal in that place.

Edited by - GMCBlueBird83 on 08/12/2005 05:58:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

thomas91
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  06:14:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heck, we still use Cobra CB radios.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  06:38:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas91

Heck, we still use Cobra CB radios.

Those of you who do, have you ever had problems with citizens interfering with communications? It sounds like it'd be a very effective way for small contractors or districts to carry out communications, but when you get to a large district or one that needs to pass sensitive information around (like with special needs students) it seems like you'd want more secure ways of doing things.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

thomas91
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  09:33:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've never really had any problems as long as I've been around. We run about 35 buses (65-72 pass) and a few vans. Another contractor in the area specifically runs vans for special needs students - I think they use a motorolla solution and/or cell phones.

At our lot and all six schools in the district a tall CB antenna is present so the schools can contact buses. Occationally, there are times when a bus cannot contact the school/bus lot, so another driver may have to relay the message - but this has not been a problem.

Radio useage is not strict, either. You will hear a lot of drivers simply chatting on the CB. Most everyone has their own handle, those who don't simply get paged by their name or bus number. When something important comes across from the office, everyone of course will pipe down.
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  12:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The radio manufacturer is irrelevant, since they make radios for many different frequencies. You'll have to ask someone in transportation for the frequency and buy the appropriate radio.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  8:14:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, before we updated to our current motorolla radios last summer, we had a lot of drivers that would lose reception with the distpatcher very frequently, and because we do have so many units out on the road, it was easily relayed, but that would turn into a disater, because 10 drivers would respond at the same time to volunteer to relay the message, with the new radios, there is a lot more service coverage, and it is safer, also, here all calls must be cleared by the dispatcher before they can be made, (i.e. Bus **** to Area III, may I go direct to Bus ***? then Area III will say 10-4 go direct, and that is how it works, she only says go direct if it is not busy) it is a good system.

I say go to best buy, they have a larger selection, I was in the market for a scanner last year, but I changed my mind.
Go to Top of Page

zsh

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2005 :  10:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Send zsh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
My district uses lovely Midland Radios that are at least ten years old. The problem is that they have a beep to announce that you are talking when you first push the button and they like to repeat the beep over and over so you can't talk. Local Special Ed bus company still uses CB.

"92 Ford Carp" I looked up some frequencies for Greenfield and Weakly County, TN and didn't find anything. I would suggest picking up a scanner at Radio Shack or even off Ebay. Looking at the population of your city and county, most of the school district communication will probably be on VHF high or low bands (projects far out into the country side).

I have a Radio Shack Scanner and it monitors most of what I want to hear (County Sheriff, Local Police, etc.)

Also, you may want to check out www.cityfreq.com and www.radioreference.com for more information.

Hope I could help.

Geek in Chief,
Zack
Go to Top of Page

Salaskie
Advanced Member

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  5:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Salaskie an AOL message  Send Salaskie a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sooo...do any of the transportation supervisors actually give out the radio frequency to the public???
I would think that would create a can of worms! No way I want students to pass that around.
Go to Top of Page

zsh

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  8:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Send zsh an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Easy enough to find...Listed in at least one online frequency directory (cityfreq.com)
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  5:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC-RE

here all calls must be cleared by the dispatcher before they can be made, (i.e. Bus **** to Area III, may I go direct to Bus ***? then Area III will say 10-4 go direct, and that is how it works, she only says go direct if it is not busy) it is a good system.

IC-RE pointed out how calls on the radio are made here in Fairfax. How does it work in other places?
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  5:24:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In LCPS if someone left warning lights on you can just say 162 you have your ambers on. My bus driver did that.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasER0005
Top Member

USA
576 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  5:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just simply do Bus **** to Bus **** or Bus **** to Bus Garage.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000