Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  1:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't understand why someone would steal a two-way radio.

I hate the locks on the rear windows of AmTran/IC RE's. None of the drivers I know ever lock that window. For some reason they say the buzzer or something goes off.
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  1:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC RE 1629

I hate the locks on the rear windows of AmTran/IC RE's. None of the drivers I know ever lock that window. For some reason they say the buzzer or something goes off.

Do you know how much those radios cost? A fleet's worth of stolen 2 way's would bring quite a bit of good money on eBay.

Reason for the buzzer is to remind someone to unlock the window. What good's an emergency exit if it's locked

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  2:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think locks are okay....as long as they can't be locked from the inside. Couldn't a kid left in a bus get out an emergency exit?
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  3:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC

I think locks are okay....as long as they can't be locked from the inside. Couldn't a kid left in a bus get out an emergency exit?

Well the rear door (and side door if equipped) are going to be locked as well, if they weren't there would be no point in specing locks in the first place. The only other option this leaves is push-out windows if those are installed on the bus and that would be quite the fall out of one of those.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  4:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You can still get out from the emergency exit.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  5:16:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drew19

You can still get out from the emergency exit.

If they are locked, the only emergency exits you can get out would be the pushout windows, since they have no exterior access, and therefor no need for locks. Any lock on a school bus however must have an ignition interlock. When any door is locked (whether it be a service door, emergency exit door, or a roof hatch), the interlock will prevent the starter motor from turning over, and therefore keep you from driving a bus that has locked exits.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  5:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the emergency doors are locked, but just with those simple slide bolt type things. I think most kids could figure them out.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  5:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC

Well, the emergency doors are locked, but just with those simple slide bolt type things. I think most kids could figure them out.

I seen those bolt types on Blue Birds Fe's and the wards and waynes. Does the thomas and IC/Amtrans have the side bolts too? or all the locks electronic locks?
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  6:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC

If it's one thing I've learned throughout my years here, and hearing school bus news stories, it's to never assume a child could "figure it out." If it were that easy there wouldn't be stories of children being left on buses, waking up and not being able to get out when all they'd have to do is push on the door.

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  6:12:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ICs and AmTrans have the slide bolt. Thomases have a little round bar about an inch long on a chain that you stick in a hole in the door latch mechanism to jam it so the door handle can't be moved.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  6:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris, I said "I think MOST could figure them out", and I still think that, but you are right that one must never assume anything.

Another thing one must never do is leave their bus without a THOROUGH check for students! I ALWAYS walk front to rear at least twice. I get on all fours in the rear to check under the seats behind the rear wheelwells and then kneel on the service door stairwell to check under the seats forward of the rear wheelwells. If it's dark I use my flashlight.

IMO, leaving a kid on the bus is inexcusable (and is grounds for dismissal here.). It's pure laziness on the part of the driver if it happens.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  8:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thouroughly agree, you are a very responisble driver IC, and I praise you for that!

We have locks on all of our exits except for the window push-outs. The rest have slide bolt locks like IC said, and the roof hatches are locked with a key my driver said.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  04:17:26 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you have to check the bus before locking it up, then there should be no reason why a kid is left on the bus. That is why it is safe to put locks on busses.

Edited by - vabuslover on 07/14/2005 08:18:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  06:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When a kid wakes up after being left on a bus, he/she would panic and not be thinking logically. So that could cause a few problems. But then as vabuslover pointed out, if you check your bus completely, you shouldn't have a problem.

Has anyone in Virginia every had a kid that was left on bus? (i'm hoping not)
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  08:49:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vabuslover

If you have to check the bus before locking it up, then there should be no reason why a kid is left on the bus. That is why it is safe to put locks on busses.

Well you can spec locks on your buses, I will continue to leave mine free of locks when purchasing. At night our buses are fenced in and on field trips we tell them not to leave any valuables on the buses. We have not had anything happen to the buses while on field trips, we did have two seperate problems before we had a fenced in lot however that is the reason for insurance.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  10:58:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I was a bus driver right now, that would be one thing that would concern me; field trips. Up here in my area, alot of trips are made into Washington D.C. and that can be a very un-friendly place often times.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  12:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
do you know if fcps will get activity buses. I rode them in lcps there loaded. with adjustable ac vents reading lights and storgage comparments above with blue rub rails. but they still the warning lights switches still left on the dash. I would love to see IC RE Acitivy buses. the HDX"S are taken to dc, fbla compaitions and so forth but we still use regular bus too. IS there another county in va to have activity buses. the activitys buses in Loudoun county we use in Thomas HDX.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  1:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also don't like the idea of having any form of a vandal lock. As already pointed out, problems with these systems DO indeed happen, and all you need is that one day where the system fails to have a catastrophe.

Have a secure lot, and don't leave valuables on the bus, and you shouldn't have a problem!

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  1:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't count on Fairfax ever getting activity buses. Enough said on that.

Loudoun though does have some nice ones. Does anyone else have them?
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  4:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Has anyone in Virginia ever had a kid that was left on bus? (i'm hoping not)"

You kidding, 1629? It has happened in Fairfax County, and more than once! They tell a story at the Training Center about the kid that was found wandering around the Newington lot. Somebody turned a bus in for service with the kid still aboard!
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  5:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I heard that too IC. I kno wthat the locks on the old waynes and Blue Birds are no longer reliable, like you told me a while a go, and I see drivers do it all the time, you can just lightly kick the door and it will open.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  5:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I snapped a few pics of a bus that was parked where I work today. It is a 89 or ealy 90's International Ward Volunteer. Here is the link... http://community.webshots.com/album/395074336qRaWQP
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  6:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC-RE

I snapped a few pics of a bus that was parked where I work today. It is a 89 or ealy 90's International Ward Volunteer. Here is the link... http://community.webshots.com/album/395074336qRaWQP

Loudoun county got rid of the wards. Also lcps wards had 8way warning lamps.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  6:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here in FCPS, we got ride of our Wards too, all but two that is!
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  04:35:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC-RE

Here in FCPS, we got ride of our Wards too, all but two that is!

I know that. But LCPS got rid of their's years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  04:47:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Another thing on the locks. THey should put those emergency release locks like they have on cars for buses. on all of the doors. Another quesion on the IC re's since there is no bar going across the door to lock it. is it hydrallic locking?
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  06:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loudoun County had a couple of 1994 Ward/AmTran Volunteer Fords. I have a picture of the former 228 which was a 1994 Ward. Now 228 is a 2004 IC or Thomas.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  08:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Has anybody seen a Northumberland County bus? I saw one in York County yesterday, coming from Gloucester. It was a mid-late 90s BB International. That is all I know about the bus.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  09:43:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Loudoun County had a couple of 1994 Ward/AmTran Volunteer Fords. I have a picture of the former 228 which was a 1994 Ward. Now 228 is a 2004 IC or Thomas.

All I seen was the older wards of lcps before I moved there. I used to live near the Herndon police station and lcps buses had to travel that way because of a sterling Neighbor hood so that would go thru herndon and go back onto route 28.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  2:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm suprised they got rid of them. They were only 1994's. I guess there not as strained on money as Fairfax. That is why we still have two 1987 Wards.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  4:09:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well since Loudoun county is growing so we have been buying so many buses. I think what we did is that each we would buy an IC or an Thomas. I have seen only one early or late ninteys Blue Bird TC/2000 RE there nice. There engine cover in the back are dirty though. You mostly see transit style buses with lcps. We have some Frightliners, Blue bird conventionals some internationals. Thomas, IC Amtrans. My busdriver last year her beginner bus was a 98 Thomas er. I think with an cummins engine. It's a little quiter then the cat.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  5:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LCPS only had three 1998 Blue Bird TC/2000 RE's. Atleast that was true when I visited their Leesburg parking compound and office. I've seen the Thomas Freightliners and the Thomas Internationals. You say that Loudoun had some Blue Bird's? I've never seen those. Also, do you know anything about the Type A buses they have?
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  5:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
no I don't know about the type a's but I did seem them though. Come to think of it it had might of been Freightliner bluebirds. But those had no tinted windows so I think they were before 98.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  7:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sell them.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2005 :  05:15:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sell the lock or the bus? If you mean the bus, sorry but we kinda have to keep the bus. Though I wish we would not spec our new buses with that rear window lock.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000