This is a rather rare bus for Virginia!

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=427132
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  6:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were rare but there was a few around. I'm surprised Roanoke had a Carpenter. Goochland Co. had a few and so did Henry Co. I dont know of anyone else but I guess they were here and there. Tatum those Fords are Prince George Co.

Mr. Courtney Hardy

Edited by - hardybusman on 04/13/2010 6:38:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  4:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bsaund09, what exactly will that rule change do for the age of buses? I think most folks are running them at least 15 years now. It will be an interesting rule change.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  5:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hardybusman-- basically it would give the school districts the authority to run school buses as part of the regular school bus fleet that are funded by the state. Most districts for years could run a bus for 10 years in regular service with the diesel bus that got changed to 12years.The life of the school bus depending on its usage has many more years to go they basically move the bus from regular use to a spare bus status although many school districts run them on regular routes past the recommended retirement dates nothing new there. It basically is a money thing but the industry itself pushes replacing older school buses for the advanced technology options.

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  7:30:42 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think Gloucester had (and possibly still has) quite a few IHC Carpenters. When I first saw them I thought they looked quite weird but then again I never really see that many Gloucester buses.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  7:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
vabuslover,my photo site use to have a pic of there Bus 60 that bus went everywhere. If is not on there I can post it severval districts had the Carps I know Halifax County had some and Chesapeake use to have some '88 GMC s that were Carps to.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  8:23:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tatum

Are these former Prince George County buses?

http://www.wesellschoolbuses.com/1231/5.html

http://www.wesellschoolbuses.com/1236/5.html

I dunno but the Blue Bird GMC's in the background are ex Baltimore county public school buses. they are 1990's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  3:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have some different pics on the school bus collection not sure they had been on here or not. I am hoping to restore other pics the last couple of monthes have been rough with my dads passing but hopefully getting back to normal a little bit at a time.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  8:54:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to hear your loss, Brian.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  7:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Interesting how the topic of age of buses in Virginia has come up. I was just down in Fluvana County today, and noticed quite a few VERY old buses on the road out there. One in particular had to be an 87 or 88 IHC Thomas! I also saw an 89 Thomas Ford out there. Both buses looked to be in very good shape, and the motors sounded great.

I've never heard of any official rules in Virginia requiring districts to retire older buses after a certain age. I think that's mostly up to the district to decide, and at some point, they will all figure which is cheaper...keep and maintain the old bus, or replace it with the new, less hassle (haha), more fuel efficient bus.

I have also noticed that Spotsylvania County is quickly coming up to the times with their fleet, as their latest additions are IC CEs with LED lighting! Funny how just a few years ago, they were among the last districts to switch to automatic/air buses, and here they are coming out with their super stretch CEs with LED lights and dual stop arms! Also, Albemarle county has fallen onto the bandwagon of putting air conditioning on all of their buses. Virginia buses are looking good!

=
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  5:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BusFreak I was through Fluvanna a couple of weeks ago myself and was surprised at the older buses. I saw a couple of those Fords with the older alligator hoods.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  04:54:21 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
BusFreak, those rules are there part of the funding from the state rules but over the years that stuff hasnt been strictly enforced at one time they were adhered to but not much anymore.They still can run surprize inspections throughout the year checking documents and vehicles if needed I was shocked to that the state had actual regular use limits on the years of the bus but then learned how they get around it. Gov't stuff you know.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  4:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it all looks good on paper but nobody is aware of what goes on in real time. I know this tough economy and longer use of buses is killing me for finding good clean used buses. A bus with less than 200k is going be rare in Va.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  2:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any ideas of where these buses came from?

http://www.wesellschoolbuses.com/1247/5.html

http://www.wesellschoolbuses.com/1251/5.html
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  6:25:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The little Vista is either Richmond City or Petersburg, I believe. The conventional bus is a 1998 International from Prince Edward Co. T444E with a 5 spd. (a real slugg for pulling out in traffic)

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  7:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's also a few 1997 Thomas International shorties from Spotsylvania on their website too.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  9:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
that thomas international is TOTALLY a Prince Edward county bus. Good find! I love the spect'd out bus with the manual transmission.

Oh, and as far as that shorty vista is concerned. There is also a good chance that it is a Norfolk City bus...They had quite a few of those floating around.

=

Edited by - BusFreak on 04/27/2010 5:22:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  5:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Norfolk buses had a different driver seat unless this one had been replaced. I sure wouldnt pay 5k for that thing.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  7:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
the vista the flordia church bus sales has that is short with ac and lift is from va. beach it was our old 473. it was running everyday till they sold it.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  11:59:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They buy alot of Va. buses. They got one of your GMCs also. A12

Mr. Courtney Hardy

Edited by - hardybusman on 05/01/2010 12:23:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  1:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ok so that is the old Bus 12 i thought it looked like it they must have gotten that from Merryman or something it has been gone a long time now. That Russell's salavage must get most of ours they dont stay around here.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  7:13:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was listed on Public Surplus.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  8:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A12 was sold on there with public surplus a few years ago but the lettering and number were removed - I am pretty sure you are right that is the one they just sold which would be A121 because my pic shows the tag pretty similar in digits but not the best few of the tag on there.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  6:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw it on Public Surplus also a few weeks ago and I mighgt have been wrong on the number. I thought it was odd to see such a old bus still on there. Do you know any thing about Eddie Upton? I'm guessing he is Eddies Bus Service? He is supposed to have a large selection of buses down off 58 close to Suffolk, but I'm not exactly sure where.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  8:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Eddie's Bus Service is now Ed and Son Bus Service not sure what he did with his inventory but the lot where he had lots of old buses has been cleared.It is hard to believe he scraped all those things but it is possible he had some really cool stock items at one time. He use to be on Military Highway for years and I think he still has a small lot next to the big one but the big one has commercial trucks in there now.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  3:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah thats right I remember now. Its been a while since I've been that way. I bet he scrapped out 2 years ago when it was bringing top dollar. I watched buses that didnt even run sell at auction for 800 to 1000 bucks just for scrap. I found a neat old 50s model International with a Superior body the other day on 460 just this side of Lynchburg. The bus was in decent shape for the age. I'll try to get a pic or two next time I'm that way.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  8:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charlottesville City Schools?

http://www.wesellschoolbuses.com/1243/5.html
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  4:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Well, the lettering not being blacked out really gave that one away. Kind of surprising to see they are getting rid of that one so soon. Wonder if something was wrong with it?
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  5:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vabuslover

Well, the lettering not being blacked out really gave that one away. Kind of surprising to see they are getting rid of that one so soon. Wonder if something was wrong with it?

I was at Sonny Merryman's not long ago and they had a ton of their old buses on the used bus lot. They have a good size order of new HDX's coming in. I was honored to drive one that had only arrived from High Point about 45 minutes prior.
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  6:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if there are any gasoline buses still in Virginia? I know of some Minotours but I was curious about larger buses. I think Brunskick Co. had a few but they are having an auction next Thurs. and all the buse listed are gas, 87-89 model Ford and Chevy.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

Tatum
Top Member

United States
606 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  7:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vabuslover

There are three more Charlottesville AmTran REs on the used bus site, too.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  1:25:53 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
There are a few of the newer style GMC/Chevrolet Bluebirds running around VA running on gasoline. I want to say Northampton county has/had a few...stick shifts too!

=
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  07:59:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah Northampton had a few for sale on eBay a while ago. They were 1996 models and I thought they might be the last ones. I always wondered why they stuck with gas so long.

Mr. Courtney Hardy
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  08:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Northhampton County use to travel with Bus 28 everywhere they went it must have had one good gasoline motor. I think the life of the transit I had Bus 74 is about to come to an end in Va Beach the motor has gone again and I dont think they are going to repair it anymore. It about 190K miles on it still a nice bus.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

hardybusman
Advanced Member

United States
470 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  07:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe 28 was the one I saw auctioned off. It was a 1996 GMC. How does Va Beach go about assigning new buses? I have a friend in Chesterfield and he said they give out new buses based on seniority and then hand down the older one. The senior drivers get a new bus every 5 years. Here in Powhatan they place the new buses between the senior drivers or whoever has the longer routes. As always the subs. and field trip buses are thr oldest.

Mr. Courtney Hardy

Edited by - hardybusman on 05/09/2010 07:24:40 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000