Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  5:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I visited Loudoun County, I noticed how the new Thomas HDX's have that neat feature. I wish Fairfax would consider something like that.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2005 :  6:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Of all the pictures online I never seen a all around ac units in a IC RE I don't think you can do the type in an IC re. The Roof isn't designed like the HDX and ER.

Well what I mean is like look where the Speakers and Lights are in the IC RE and then look where the Speaker and Lights are in the HDX and RE. All that equipment in the ic would get in the way of the AC Unit and then it would put the ac units to high on the roof. but what fairfax can do is put it in the middle of the roof.

Edited by - Drew19 on 06/11/2005 6:19:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  05:30:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They could do that. Though you could ask IC to reposition things like the interior lights and the speakers. They could easy probably move those to the center of the roof. Just an idea.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  06:42:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC RE 1629

They could do that. Though you could ask IC to reposition things like the interior lights and the speakers. They could easy probably move those to the center of the roof. Just an idea.

I mean like they could put the AC unit in the middle. But fairfax county is kinda cheap. when it comes to certain things. I had lot of conversions about this stuff with a couple of my bus drivers.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  08:05:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another optiion, that I THINK is a available on IC Corporation buses is the roof mounted A/C unit, which I think LOOKs ugly, but they are supposed to work miracles. When It comes to A/C who cares what it looks like!
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  11:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The roof mount systems are gorwing popularity. I like the way they look because they stand out. They also do not interfere with the interior cabin making it look almost invisible.

The way to go is with roof top systems because:
Condensers need to be washed routinely and cleaned. With the skirt mount they suck in dirt and debree causing condnser failure. Roof mount systems prevent this. If you have a bus wash, that will clean the system.

Most municipalities have been with roof mount systems for years and the answer is evident- reliability.

They cost more but you have none of the mechanical failures that would if it were mounted on the interior.

It's also amazing how many districts complain about the ppor service from the interior systems.

Notice all the new companies going with roof mounted systems and existing companies are experimenting.
Go to Top of Page

disneynuts
Advanced Member

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  2:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit disneynuts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Drew19,

We have the ducted a/c systems on our 2001 hdx's. while the passenger compartment stays cool, the driver area is not cool at all.

Can you check with the loudoun drivers and see if they think it is cool in the front of the bus?

If they do, can you find what system loudoun has. Ours are carrier a/c 120,000 btu units with three speed fnas.

that is one of the reasons i did not take one of those.

all of the split system, free blowing systems, stay cool and even shoot some cool air on the driver.

thanks for your help.

Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  3:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What I think is so stupid with each bus company is that most of the them have vents in the for the Driver and They Should put AC Through them. I know that the HDX have vents for the driver and I think the IC have floor vents. I think Loundoun uses Carrier for the HDX's I know they use the carrier for the IC RE's
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  3:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Also CCSD in Neveda has some of the HDX's have the Roof Mounted systems. go To his website to check it out.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  3:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have the two vents under the front bulkhead for the de-fogger-de-froster, that my driver says A/C comes out of. We are in a 2002 IC RE, we have the same vents on our 2002-2006 IC RE's. We have carrier units (2) one in front passenger side, and one on the rear bulkhead. We do not need the roof-mounted systems because we are in Northern Virginia, and not in Florida or Calfornia where it gets very hot, we just have the two blowers, and they work well most of the time, just they could be a little better on days when it is in the high 90's and 100's. But hey, they are better than our buses with no A/C at all!
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  4:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Um I do live in VA. I went to FCPS and LCPS. Im saying like the factory Vents should hook up with the AC Units.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  4:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC-RE

We have the two vents under the front bulkhead for the de-fogger-de-froster, that my driver says A/C comes out of. We are in a 2002 IC RE, we have the same vents on our 2002-2006 IC RE's. We have carrier units (2) one in front passenger side, and one on the rear bulkhead. We do not need the roof-mounted systems because we are in Northern Virginia, and not in Florida or Calfornia where it gets very hot, we just have the two blowers, and they work well most of the time, just they could be a little better on days when it is in the high 90's and 100's. But hey, they are better than our buses with no A/C at all!

Some of the bus drivers in FCPS complained like its not cold enough. it only cools down like from 90 to 80. THe HDX in Loundon work a lot better.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  5:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Any ways My Favorite IC RE the 06. THe Best Looking IC RE. Before I didn't think it looked so good.

My Fav buses HDX, IC RE, Blue Bird AA RE. What year is the Blue bird TC 2000 FE's in FCPS I used to ride them. I like the reg ed versions then the Spec ed. The most anoying thing in the TC 2000 in special ed is the strobe light it was so loud and they didn't have an am fm radio to block out the noise. I don't think even the Radio would have block the noise out. the county bought some newer tc 2000's then what they bought for regualar ed.

Edited by - Drew19 on 06/12/2005 6:06:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  5:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our A/C's do work pretty good. Though one thing that would really help is if we had DT466 engines. The little T444E and the VT365 are too weak to run all the A/C compressors, air brake compressors, air suspension systems etc. We severly overwork those little engines with all the new stuff on our buses. We need a bigger engine that is designed to handle the extra stuff without stressing itself out. The mechanic at Newington told me that the FE buses with the DT466's in them work very well. The A/C works better, the suspension and brake systems work better. He says that the DT466 really makes a difference.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  6:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The General Ed TC2000 FE's are 1990 and 1991. For Special ed, they are 1990, 1991 (tinted windows and strobe) and 1994's (high headroom, Am/FM/casette, with a white roof and tinted windowsm and of course they all have the Cummins 5.9
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  01:52:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We also have some 1992 Special Ed TC/2000 FE's.
Go to Top of Page

CPCSC_TD
Top Member

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  05:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thoams allows air conditoning with any manufacturer on the C2.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  11:30:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In your opinion, what is the best A/C you can get for a school bus?
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2005 :  11:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if Spotsylania got its other C2?
Go to Top of Page

poor_driver

162 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  5:21:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently seen a thomas C2 in Madison Heights from Amhearst County public schools. I was at a stoplight with a group of elementary kids on our way to Natural Bridge (rd 130). The C2 was at a gas station and a regular thomas international was parked beside it. I noticed the the old thomas was taller than the new C2. I also notice that the newer buses that Thomas makes come with a really big strobe light cover, kinda makes the bus look cheap but i guess it's better for safety purposes.

In closing, the C2 looked like it was a piece of plastic compared to the older bus. It was eye catching to the teachers,chaperones & students but not to this driver, maybe the C2 and the new IC will grow on me later, but i doubt it. i'm a old bus buff.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  5:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you happen to catch the number of the bus? Just to get an idea of what number range that district has.

What district are you from? What kind of buses do you have?
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  7:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The large strobe covers are not standard, they are spec'ed that way
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  10:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Has anybody ever seen or heard anything about Newport News school busses? I am from there and would like to learn more about those busses.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  11:21:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to SBF! I haven't been down that way, so you'll have to tell me a few things. For starters, do you know what kind of buses they have down there? Blue Bird, AmTran/IC, Thomas?
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  11:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I know that for the longest time, Newport News was an all Blue Bird fleet. They had all TC2000s, with older FEs, and REs were introduced in the mid 90s. VERY basic spected buses. They all have air brakes, and most if not all have white roofs and one roof hatch....Thats about it. No tilt steering wheels, they have manual doors, and no tinted windows, unless any of that has been changed in the past few years. I know they started to get AmTran Genesis FEs in the late 90s with the same specs listed above, and I think some Thomas EFs too. I found it interesting though, that almost their entire fleet was fairly new in the 90s...I diddnt see many old Newport News City Public Schools buses on the road.

=
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  12:40:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How big of a fleet do they have?
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  04:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We have about 425 busses, sequentially numbered starting with #1. Most of the Thomas EF busses are special ed, but there are quite a few EFs for normal runs. They normally run in another part of the city so I don't see them. THey bought quite a few FE Amtran Genesis busses, then the Amtran FE. I think in 2000 was the first Air Door speced on the bus, and in 2003 they got IC Conventional busses. Last year they bought those UGLY Blue Bird Vision busses. BRING BACK FORD, I say. From the IC Conventional on the busses had tint on the windows. Yes the busses are speced cheaper, most likely to save money to buy much more busses at a time. Now is when they like to replace the old with new. Our oldest busses (Blue Bird RE, no white roof) are 89s, most likely to be retired soon too. If you want to know more, I can find out some more. I could also tell you about busses in surrounding cities/counties that I have seen.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  06:26:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So there are some people in Virginia who have the Vision. I didn't think that any school districts in VA got the Vision.

Sure thing, I'd love to learn about what surrounding districts have.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  07:31:49 AM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
wow, alot of districts down that way got IC conventionals last year. I know that hampton city school got quite a few of them. They had been getting AmTran/International REs for a while. I believe that Hampton was the first in the area to start specing the tinted windows and air doors. Chesapeake City also has some awesome buses...TONS of Thomas ERs.

=
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  08:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hampton and York County got IC Conventionals last year. That has been all York County has ever got since they quit making Thomas International Conventionals. Also, the new York County ICs are the first, I think to have Automatics. Yes, the old Thomas Internationals had manual transmissions. York County also has some older Thomas ERs, and just this past year received some nice IC REs. I no nothing else about them, though. Williamsburg/James City County has some older Blue Bird TC2000s and has been getting Amtran/IC RE's, but that is all I know about them. They might also have some Amtran's with Front Engine for Special Ed too.

Edited by - vabuslover on 07/06/2005 08:09:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  08:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I can remember some real old Ford Thomases. All had the 4-way warning system. Some were gas powered, and some were diesels. I think that it was funny that the ones with the swing out door were diesels and the gas powered had jack-knife doors. Then they had some Blue Bird Fords that all had the four-way warning system, and again some were gas, and some were diesel. The only way to tell the difference was if you looked at the fuel door, it would say GAS in big bold letters or DIESEL in condensed letters, since all these had the jack-knife door. The last conventional they bought until recently were Blue Bird Fords, all were diesel powered with the 8-way amber/red warning system. All these buses were automatic. I can't remember any manual transmission buses for Newport News. My favorites were the Blue Bird Fords with 4-way warning system. Never did like those old Thomases, since the handrail was on the right side by the door, unlike all the newer buses with the handrail on the left side on the first seat kick plate.

BTW, the only busses for general education that have ACs are the old TC2000 FEs with tinted windows. The newer special ed busses have the AC as well. I rode one of the TC2000s with an AC everyday when I was in 5th grade. I don't think the AC worked though, as they didn't maintain them. Most likely it was because why bother to do that if none of the other busses have it.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  09:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's pretty neat. Does anyone down that way have any Type A or Type B buses? Like the Thomas Minotour, or Thomas Vista, IC BE, Blue Bird Micro Bird, etc?
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  11:54:39 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think York County is the only one with a type A bus, most likely the Thomas Minotour. They might even have the IC BE type B bus as well. Not sure about Microbird buses, haen't seen one here before. Hampton has a lot of those old Thomas Vistas on the International Chassis.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  11:56:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
vabuslover, what is your favorite bus model from your district?
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  11:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My favorites were the Blue Bird Fords with 4-way warning system. Never did like those old Thomases, since the handrail was on the right side by the door, unlike all the newer buses with the handrail on the left side on the first seat kick plate.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000