Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

pbfreak30

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  5:38:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow those are very similar to ours in bedford..the only differences i see is that they are A-shorter and B- have that funky window at in the back, but other than that they look the same, with the 3 full size lights on the back and 5 hole wheels as well

ARROW transportation RP..the best out there!
Go to Top of Page

United States
129 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  7:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rub rail wrapping around above the tail lamps is not a requirement on the C2 buses. This a a hold over from year's gone by as a way to re-enforce the corner post on the bodies. I would expect them to slowly dissapear on Blue Birds & AmTrans in the future.

The yellow window post were part of the standards for 2007. As many districts have gotten used to the extra black (standard pattern) it took a little getting used to for the more yellow ,especially around the fixed rear side window that used to blend in.

BusFreak, check out Arlington's,Prince William's or Falls Church's latest C2's and you will see the new paint pattern. Upcoming changes on the C2 include a slightly redesigned front roof cap, and a new drivers swich panel with storage compartment for the driver.

Little tid bit, look for the return of lettering on the rear of the buses on 2008 specs "STOP WHEN RED LIGHTS FLASH" back when Disney & I drove they used to have "STOP STATE LAW" on the back.

Happy Holidays All, Merry Christmas ......

Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  8:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i remember when the buses had "Stop State Law" on the back. i used to drive one attendant nuts when we would pull into line @ our ES, i'd read the words 3 different ways- "Stop! State Law". then "Stop State! Law". finally, "Stop State Law!" poor thing didn't have a sense of humor.

1Peter 1:3
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  9:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HAHA Gini! I love your first one!! "STOP!!! State Law!" haha

I think lettering looks awful! And it particularly looks terrible on the rears of IC REs because there really isnt room due to the grill being so large!

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

poor_driver

162 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  6:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't help it. I still keep looking at those pics. I know where some of those 70's and 80's fords, and gmcs are in yards and other places...sure wish i had the money and restore them.

Ya know, kinda funny that you still see those buses body holding up in the awkward Virginia weather all these years...wonder if these newer buses can last like the oldies!
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  7:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
OK...now that you mention it, the new Arllington C2s do infact have the yellow between the window frames! I always thought the window posts were still black, and that only the back window was surrounded by yellow. Anyway, I would LOVE to see these new C2s in 15 years to see how well they have held.

=
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  5:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It's interesting how in some of the smaller districts in the state, the upgrades tend to fade in and out. Sometimes, i get the feeling that those districts buy buses right off the lot as opposed to ordering buses to their standard specs. Fluvanna County got a new IC RE this past summer, and one of FEW upgrades it has is the DT466 engine. No tinted windows, no LEDs, no extended skirting. They do, however, have an 02(ish) International RE spected IDENTICALLY to Fairfax's 02 International REs, only without A/C. At first sight though, the bus looks like it belongs to Fairfax. It even has the passenger side e-door. Their new IC-RE doesn't even compare to the old one. Some of the buses in Alexandria city are also very rare in their lack of upgrades.

I'm excited to see the new Falls Church bus on the road...the C2s are EVERYWHERE in northern virginia now. Talk about some LONG conventional buses!

=
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  6:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reston Childrens center just got a small C2 too, it doesnt even have window tints! I like the C2 in small capacities, but when they are big, they are UGLY!!! They had a Thomas Freightliner in crappy condition before they got the C2

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

Bus 801
Advanced Member

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  10:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Bus 801 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Falls Church has also attached themselves to our bus bids in the past. Some of their IC REs were from our bids. Alexandria's bus 7 also is a plain bus. It it is an IC CE SE bus (05/06?) with non-tinted windows and no AC.

Rob
Floater 421

http://community.webshots.com/user/bus801

Edited by - Bus 801 on 12/22/2007 10:16:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  11:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an imagined scenario.

We all know that the City of Fairfax owns four schools. Fairfax HS, Lanier MS, Providence ES, and Daniels Run ES. We know the City of Fairfax has it's own school board. We contract out to Fairfax County to have them run our schools and provide certain services, like transportation. But what if the City school board decided to start providing their own transportation for city school students? Would you think this would be a good idea? Let's imagine that the city decided it would buy it's own buses for city schools and then contract out to have the county service and repair them? Pretend you were at a school board meeting discussing this proposed decision. What you would you say at the meeting?

I personally think it would be neat to see that happen, but currently things are running pretty smoothly they way they are.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  1:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it would be a very poor decision. This issue has come up before, I have read about it, and we have discussed it in my government classes in high school. It just wouldnt make sense. It wouldnt really affect FCPS so much as it would the City of Fairfax. If the City were ever to do this, I dont see how they would do it without contracting out to WIlliams or something. IF they didnt contract out they would have to start with nothing, i.e. buy all new buses etc.

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  06:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hampton City Schools - AmTran RE:
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=2151929983&size=o

That thing looks so similar to our RE's. Only it has a wheelchair lift, low profile roof hatches, and no rubber strip around the rear wheel. It's also missing the two-way radio antenna on the front of the roof like we have.

On another note, is the person who takes these photos a member of SBF Forums? http://flickr.com/photos/7372257@N05/

Edited by - IC RE 1629 on 01/05/2008 06:51:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  07:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whoa that is soooo similar to our AmTrans

and Yes, that is bsaund09

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  09:24:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I thought! He's got some excellent pics!
Go to Top of Page

Bus 801
Advanced Member

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2008 :  11:40:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Bus 801 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Richmond City schools also has some Amtran REs with low headroom similar to ours.

Rob
Floater 421

http://community.webshots.com/user/bus801

Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  08:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I always thought that REs with standard skirting looked top heavy...does anyone else agree?

=
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  09:58:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do agree, they look long and skinny like Loudoun's! But doesnt that Hampton RE have the same skirting FCPS has?

Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  10:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
no...hampton has standard skirting...it looks a little different because it doesn't have the lower rub rail, but it's regular skirting. Loudouns REs with standard skirting look even more wierd because they are longer buses. They have 14 windows on either side, instead of 13.

=
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  10:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh ok. Yes I agree, Loudoun does have very weird looking AmTran and IC REs! They have nice CEs and HDX's though.

Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  1:20:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also look at extended skirting as a safety feature, the less space between the ground and the bus, the less likely something is to go under the bus.

Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  01:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
IC-RE, i always looked @ the lower skirting as a safety hazard! i hated having lower bus parts on my transit, after having such nice clearance on my other buses. there were a lot of places in the past, like construction blocking most of the road, that i would've never made it through w/ a transit.

80-RE4, maybe admin got tired of looking @ all the bad spelling, lol.

Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  2:19:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gini, I was thinking that could be an issue, I just thought it would be better for preventing objects or animals (cats dogs) form going under the bus when at a stop or something, but maybe not

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  4:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think extended skirting is a great safety feature. In a collision where another vehicle strikes the side of the bus, the extended skirting can provide extra protection for the passengers on the bus. I can't say it will help the person hitting the bus though. Most car vs. bus collisions result in the car losing.

Extended skirting also makes luggage compartments look good.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  4:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That user has posted a few of his photos on Wikipedia. I am a user there, and will try to get in touch with him to find out how he finds the wonderful-looking Hampton buses. I know they like to park them in school parking lots kind of like Fairfax does.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  7:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vabuslover

That user has posted a few of his photos on Wikipedia. I am a user there, and will try to get in touch with him to find out how he finds the wonderful-looking Hampton buses. I know they like to park them in school parking lots kind of like Fairfax does.

Fairfax doesn't like to park 'em at schools...they have NO CHOICE.

I like where I park (at a school) but I know I'm just one good vandal attack away from having to move!
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  8:00:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC RE 1629

I think extended skirting is a great safety feature. In a collision where another vehicle strikes the side of the bus, the extended skirting can provide extra protection for the passengers on the bus. I can't say it will help the person hitting the bus though. Most car vs. bus collisions result in the car losing.

Extended skirting also makes luggage compartments look good.

I think they buy extended skirting to lessen the chance of a kid climbing under a bus. The skirting itself is quite flimsy. You have to be real careful after a snow....snow iles will take that skirting out!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  09:29:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lady contacted me through my website asking for assistance in locating a good used school bus. She wants a Type C body, about 30-42 pax in size. She wants to use it for hauling around her family and friends on trips. Lastly, she wants it to be a used school bus that belonged to a Virginia school district.

Any suggestions or information I can give this lady? I'm not much of an expert on the used school bus market. Your help appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  10:57:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may want to have her try to look on the Public surplus web site, I know Newport News had some 1993 Ford B-600 some with lift's and 34 passengers with out, They also may have some 1989-1990 Blue Bird GMC Activity buses all buses have no Air brakes.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  07:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loudoun County now requires seatbelts:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/09/AR2008010901739.html?hpid=sec-education
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  11:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I wonder how that will work out. It always sounds like a good idea to the general public, but it can turn out to be something that is unrealistic to people around the buses all day.

Why is it that Fairfax cannot park their buses at lots where they are safer? I know they have tons of buses, but being in an area where buses are always parked in a secure lot it just seems weird to not have them parked there.

Edited by - vabuslover on 01/10/2008 11:17:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  1:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
vabuslover- Fairfax doesn't have enough secure lots around the county to park the buses in.

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2008 :  3:07:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, even "secure" compounds can be infiltrated and buses vandalized. If someone really wants to screw with a bus, they'll do it.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  7:40:51 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The Virginia General Assembly is considering a bill that will allow the districts to set there own starting date without getting waivers. I bet a lot of school districts will start earlier maybe they will consider ac for the rest of us who dont have that as standard equipment. The new Va Beach C2s for 2008 started going out this week sure does add a different look to the fleet.

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  11:28:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know that Fairfax wants so badly to start the last week in August instead of after Labor day, they have been trying to get that for years. Thats what I have read, and what some teachers have been saying

Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  5:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BSAUND09 WHAT Year is bus 565 in that picture? it is said to see that bus being taking out of service so soon. what is the year? and what year did VA BEACH starting buying the T-444E style engine ?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000