Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

Bus 801
Advanced Member

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  4:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Bus 801 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm 90% sure the last 2 links with the Thomas ERs is Arlington.

Rob
Floater 421

http://community.webshots.com/user/bus801

Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  10:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm with 801...Those are Arlington Buses...That Thomas fleet with a light mix of IC and those numbers are almost certain arlington. It helps to see Shirlington appartments in the background! If you want some good pictures, they only have one lot, and they do NOT allow parkouts. Every bus the county owns is in that lot, as far as I know. This includes School Buses, and Activity buses owned by Arlington County Parks and Recreation.

=
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  07:39:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just out of curiosity does any one know how many buses Arlington County operates with in there fleet?
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  5:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2006bbvision

just out of curiosity does any one know how many buses Arlington County operates with in there fleet?

120, I believe.
Go to Top of Page

United States
129 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  6:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC

quote:
Originally posted by 2006bbvision

120, I believe.

Hi Disney,

I am not doing a lot of keyboarding with the carpo tunnel(sic)in both wrist (and the ones here that know me, know that I do hundreds of bus related emails monthly, so this has been tough on me) but I figured I would chime in on these last few post.

Hi Bus Freak, IC, IC 1629, and Bus 801,

Yes, you all are correct, the pictures are from the main parking lot and yes, that is a neat looking row of buses. Arlington is currently running 132 school buses. The schools actually do not have any activity buses, but the parks & rec department has a few activity buses that were purchased for county P & R trips.

True, currently all buses are compounded at a central location for security reasons, and guys you know your buildings well. Would you pay $750,000.00 to look at a bunch of school buses ???. Not me, I have official "no yellow weekends" at the beach, where I won't drive near the schools.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving, Frying the big bird this year and staying up north. it gets cold on the water (burrhhhhhhh)
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2007 :  7:20:52 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
HAHA...I actually looked into buying one of those places, but you're right...seems a bit steep to be paying to look at school buses, when i could be paying just as much to actually live IN the city. I decided to go with a much older place in arlington which not only has MUCH more character, but also has a better location than Shirlington. All of that MUCH less than a Shirlington Condo!

There is also atleast one bus in the county that is used by some kind of county Senior Center. It's a SHARP Thomas HDX with a red white and blue paint scheme.

=
Go to Top of Page

pbfreak30

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  5:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BusFreak

The state specifications do state that the warning lights must have a hooded assembly. They also state, however, that the bus number be placed on the drivers side of the front bumper. Something else interesting, the state only allows the second stop sign to be placed on type C and D buses of 64 passenger capacity or larger. Arlington has been putting them on all of their buses, even the short SE C2s they have.

well up to this year the C2's we bought dont have hoods on the warning lights, but the most recent 2008 C2's we got do have the hoods on them

ARROW transportation RP..the best out there!
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  9:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I actually saw one of Bedford's C2s in at Powhatan HS last winter, and it looked to be fairly new. It had the new forward mirror on the service side. That C2 looked to be a longer than average conventional bus in Virginia. What size buses is Bedford County ordering these days?

=
Go to Top of Page

LBDboater
Advanced Member

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  9:24:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BusFreak

I actually saw one of Bedford's C2s in at Powhatan HS last winter, and it looked to be fairly new. It had the new forward mirror on the service side. That C2 looked to be a longer than average conventional bus in Virginia. What size buses is Bedford County ordering these days?

66 passenger buses for the most part. I know that all of our buses from 1986 through 2004 have the warning light hoods. Then we started getting C2's for 3 years which didn't have the hoods, and then all the buses in the area (Bedford County and Lynchburg City) have the warning hoods. For PBfreak30, I noticed that Lynchburg's new C2's for the year have that small window in the very back of the bus on each side (in the side pillars), I was surprised to see them spec that and not us. We usually trump Lynchburg when it comes to specs. Looks like things might be changing for the county. I also know that they're about to place a huge order for next year's C2's since they've vowed to have all the Vista's off all routes by next year. Should be interesting to see if they pull through with all the expenses this year (MRSA cleaning at the high schools, bad economy, etc.)
Go to Top of Page

United States
129 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  7:45:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several districts are now purshasing 77-passenger conventionals, therefore purchasing less or no transits. The fixed window at the rear is standard, but from hear say, I understand you can order a sliding window in it's place for an additional charge.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  11:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote

I must know...what is your job title around Virginia? You are certainly a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the student transportation industry across the state! Are you a driver for FCPS? or perhaps Arlington County? I'd love to know about your connections with Sonny Merryman, and the other Virginia dealerships.

=
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  08:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/HCS_bus49.JPG
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  08:52:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
click on this link, Really nice 2008 ce owned by Hampton City Schools http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f8/HCS_bus49.JPG
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  5:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Strobing warning lights and LEDs everywhere! Nice job Hampton! They have always had among the nicest buses in the Hampton Roads area. Are they still shipping high school kids home on HRT buses? Back in the day, i remember seeing PenTran buses with warning arms coming (like the stop sign on a school bus) all lined up in front of bethel high school. Ironic, seeing as they have such a nice fleet.

=
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  12:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BUSFREAK. YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!!! Hampton has always spec there buses really nice, and they don't generally run the buses for the anticipated state service time, Every since the earlier 90's they have had Air door, Tinted windows, strobing stop arms as standard spec for there bus orders. I to remember seeing the old MCI Pen Tran buses with the stop signs on the side, Since then Pen Tran merge with HRT. DO you know what the state bus age is these days?
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  12:10:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is still kind of weird seeing VA buses having Double stop signs on them!!!! it looks really good though!
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  4:17:37 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes , Hampton City Schools still use metro Hampton Roads Tranist to be exact for all secondary school transportation to and from home. Well the Bluebird Vision is on round 2 back at the dealership it came back and the first run of the next day the lights started flashing on and off again. This time however I was able to talk with the folks myself at Tidewater Truck and hopefully they have a better understanding of what is happening.

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

pbfreak30

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2007 :  7:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LBD- Amherst has the small window in back too, and one other thing that i have noticed is that some Lynchburg FS-65's have Strobing stop signs... and it would have to be a HUGE order to get all those Vistas off, because we have a ton of them still running at JF at least...and do you know which engine our C2's have this year? because i heard the previous ones had the CAT in them, but it wasnt available for the 08 model C@, and from what i hear, the C2's this year have alot more power than previous years.

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  3:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some VA Buses:

http://flickr.com/photos/hallmantribe/2089077112/
http://flickr.com/photos/7372257@N05/2086673868/
http://flickr.com/photos/7372257@N05/2085887991/
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  8:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Those last two are most definitely Virginia Beach buses. 192 was possibly the most well kept 1990 Thomas Ford I'd ever seen in the school system. The blue bird ford was an 91. Both had nearly identical specs, with the ford diesel engine, automatic transmission, and air brakes. What a neat find!

I almost want to say that the MVP ER in the first picture belongs to Alexandria City, but I don't know for a fact. The reason for my guess is that it's obviously not a Fairfax Thomas ER because of the placement of the drivers side e-door, and the lack of brush guards on the roof hatches. It doesn't belong to Arlington because of the storage compartments. It could be a Loudoun county bus, but I don't know their numbers off the top of my head. Bus 98 is low enough for me to automatically assume that it is an Alexandra city bus.

=

Edited by - BusFreak on 12/08/2007 12:26:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  07:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW THOSE BUSES LOOKED NEW AT THE TIME!!!!
Go to Top of Page

pbfreak30

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  2:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
another interesting this about our new C2's here in Bedford, they have reverse lights that are the exact same size as the brake and turn signals, where the others were about half the size, and the lights stick out more this year from the back of the bus, and like last year are LED

Go to Top of Page

poor_driver

162 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  5:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that pics and you had the right caption. The are gone but i sure won't forget them. Question..........Why are the bus numbers on the c2 place on the front bumper near the entrance door? the last time i saw that was on buses made in the 70's. Ic and Bluebird still place the numbers on the driver side of the bumper.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2007 :  10:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
your welcome i wish i did have more pics from back in the day but i guess i will be content with what i got. just wish i had more of the old internationals and 4 light fords but that is ok .The Vision is back i got it back on wednesday and it is doing very well this time. it paid to talk with the official tech mechanic working on it.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2007 :  2:45:24 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Well the Vision from Bluebird is gone again with blinking on and off parking lights this makes the 3rd round. However i am getting to drive my old Bus 74 the Bluebird All American Transit from 1999 so far so good.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2007 :  08:17:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BSAUND09: Wow any word what could be causing the Vision to have problems? And bus 74 I love that bus I have seen that around many times.... I did not know that was a 1999, are you guys using that as a spare? How many Transit buses does VA BEACH have now a days anyway? and when was the first year you guys starting buying the T-444E motors for the international blue birds?

Go to Top of Page

BigChief

United States
6 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  05:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New guy here, work for Loudoun, although not as a driver. Amazing the amount of information you guys have gathered here.
Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  08:36:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
welcome BigChief!

1Peter 1:3
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  2:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome BigChief, you all have a great Fleet!!

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  4:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second that !I think the top best specd buses in the entire state!
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  6:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by disneynuts

IC 1629

Williams had been buying all Thomas for several years. Then switched to IC. Now they are going back to Thomas for their new bus purchases.

I wonder why... Thomas is better than IC anyday (and i'm a Blue Bird Fan) so that basically means that anything is better than IC

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  10:04:22 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey Va Beach finally have gotten the C2 order coming in i have post pics on Flicker if you want to see them under schoolbus. I am happy with the Vision bad bugs and all we are back in it again i am hoping it works this time i havent even driven it longer then 3 days since Nov.8th and i really like the bus.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  10:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Check out those sweet C2s! Other than private contractors, that is the first time I've seen a C2 in VA with yellow window posts the entire length of the bus! It seems to me that Virginia is starting to crack down on the unusual standards of the C2, by decreasing the black paint on the roof caps, adding the lamp visors, moving the bus number, etc. My only question now, is when is someone going to notice that the C2s don't have the second rub rail wrapping around the back of the bus. I believe that the state standards at one time required that.

PS, those are the smallest regular ed C2s I've seen in the state as well. It seems that most districts across VA have adapted the larger capacity conventionals to extend their routes.

=
Go to Top of Page

LBDboater
Advanced Member

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  1:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bsaund09

hey Va Beach finally have gotten the C2 order coming in i have post pics on Flicker if you want to see them under schoolbus. I am happy with the Vision bad bugs and all we are back in it again i am hoping it works this time i havent even driven it longer then 3 days since Nov.8th and i really like the bus.

Someone want to post a link, I can't find the pics on Flickr!
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  4:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBDboater

quote:
Originally posted by bsaund09

Someone want to post a link, I can't find the pics on Flickr!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7372257@N05/2113204358/in/photostream/

=
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.37 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000