Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 63

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  8:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The state does not mandate automatics, and infact, in the state specifications, it still states the automatic as if it were an upgrade. The main transmission specification is for "mechanical" transmissions with direct shift into 5th. Also, on the state bid sheets, the line is available on the pricing guide for a manual transmission. The only company who bid on such a spec, however, was Sonny Merryman with Thomas. Just more proof that the C2 is indeed available with a manual transmission. I'd love to see that too...Power operated entrance door, with a clutch and stick!

=
Go to Top of Page

ltrain2001

139 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2007 :  8:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much extra is it for a manual transmission on a C2? How about for a Vision also?
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  05:33:39 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Va Beach still has four stick buses in the spare fleet all are 36pass buses for sped. the only others 1 or 2 are used out at Vo Tech for carring students to and from job sites. Some days I miss the manual trasmission but when sitting in bumper to bumper traffic glad to have an automatic.

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

jclick

United States
33 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  07:32:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Busfreak, whatever the change was, it caused our district to start getting automatics. I've spoken to our Super many times about it as he is opposed to getting the autos because of higher cost and maintenance, not to mention the headacke from drivers saying they have knee problems and need the new bus with the auto.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  10:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey BSAUND09,

What type of manuel buses does VA Beach still have in the fleet? I have seen I think #495 a Sped late 80's Inter that was parked at a school near one of my friends apt's when I lived in that area. Do you guys still have the Blue Bird GMC'S as Activity buses? What buses did you guys retire this year?
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  8:28:21 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They are all Internationals from 1992(540,541,542) and 1993(253). Yes , 495 is gone now they sold it a couple of years ago. All the GMC s of the '80s and early 90s are gone now to they sold the last ones last spring. The new buses coming in will start replacement numbers for the 1993 Bluebird Internationals and complete the final Fords in the fleet very hard to believe that Va Beach is that close to losing the Ford name on school buses. They have been here all my life it will just be weird.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  8:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow I did not know VaBeach has 1992's with manuel what made them only buy 4 of them? when is the first year you guys started having air doors as a standard option? I have always loved to see VABeach buses on the rode... What was the first year you guys got the first generation of FS-65??? oh and is bus 595 still in service I love the way that bus looks I think it is like a 1995-1996 Thomas international t-444e with a flat floor option, and a lift. it also has the black out window specs looks really nice, just needs to have a strobe light!!!!
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2007 :  9:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Virginia Beach stopped getting Manuals for regular ed buses in 83, which happened to conincide with the switchover to diesel/airbrake. They continued to get the manuals for special ed buses till 92, with the first automatic handi buses in the fleet. They were 92 Thomas Fords. For some reason, among the 93 Special Ed Blue Bird Internationals, there was one lonely manual transmission. The rest of the 93 special ed buses featured the 7.3 liter engine, with automatic/air brake options.

The first air door I remember seeing was bus 620 (I think), a 95-96 Thomas Vista regular ed. All buses purchased after that featured air doors. Strobe lights started appearing in spring of 97 on about half of the buses purchased that year, and were standard on Virginia Beach buses after that.

The First FS-65s showed up in spring of 99. The 99s are the only FS-65s to have cummins engines, and two roof hatches.

=
Go to Top of Page

Lena

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  08:42:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome jclick...are you Jeremy, who won the State Roadeo again this year?

Most smiles are started by another smile...
Go to Top of Page

jclick

United States
33 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  11:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Lena, thanks for the welcome. Yes, I am Jeremy.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  1:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey IC1629, When is your web site going to be updated? Cant not wait to see the new pics!
Go to Top of Page

jjf221fe
Advanced Member

United States
275 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  2:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit jjf221fe's Homepage  Send jjf221fe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2006bbvision

Cant not wait

That's a double-negative

What is this "Hydraulic Brakes" nonsense you speak of?
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  3:52:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey jff221fe I see you're in a 2008 IC CE with the new Maxxforce DT! How do you guys like it? Does it have the updated guages?

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

jjf221fe
Advanced Member

United States
275 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  5:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit jjf221fe's Homepage  Send jjf221fe an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC-RE

Hey jff221fe I see you're in a 2008 IC CE with the new Maxxforce DT! How do you guys like it? Does it have the updated guages?

Well, from what I've experienced so far this school year it seems to be holding up pretty well, certainly a decent amound of power under the hood. One thing I don't care for too much is the air door it's equipped with. Don't get me wrong, I like air doors, but when I'm boarding the bus I have to purposely wait there for about 4-5 seconds or so. It almost seems "choppy". It opens fast, then it stops, and then it opens really slow the rest of the way open, and vise-versa. I really think my driver, Mikki, enjoys the air-ride seat (her and I were taking turns bouncing in it a few days ago) along with the driver's area. My former bus for at least 4 years has been a 1999-2004 Thomas FS-65. She doesn't need to heeve over to pull and release the parking brake, it's right next to her right hand as all CEs' parking brake knobs are, both for airbrakes and those wannabe hydraulic knobs. Standing very tall for my age of 13 at 6'1", I praised the lord for the standard high-head room of IC. I could've gone for highback seats like all my previous Thomases had, these are rather uncomfortable. I can feel and hear the metal in the seat when I sit... As far as the gauges go, I'm honestly not too sure, due to the fact that I haven't paid too much attention to our new CE's gauge cluster. Although, I do have a question: What was the former CE's DT466 governed at? I think our RPM gauge goes all the way to 4000 RPM. I'm not sure what the former CE's gauge went to, but I'm certainly not used to looking at it while my driver's driving and watching it climb those big diesel RPM numbers like that, all my former Thomas' RPM gauges only went to 3,000 RPM. They were all equipped with the Mercedes-Benz MBE 906.

What is this "Hydraulic Brakes" nonsense you speak of?

Edited by - jjf221fe on 09/13/2007 7:07:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2007 :  7:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cool, Im glad you like it. Yeah the ICs all have those seats, they pop when you sit down, they put a whole new meaning in the saying "POP A SQUAT!" hahaha

not sure about the RPMs

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

jclick

United States
33 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  11:16:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but did anyone notice that VA School Buses are allowed to go 60mph on the interstate now as long as the speed limit is 60 or above?
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  11:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wow, that is a great improvement from doing 55 and everyone else was going much faster than you. When did that take effect?
Go to Top of Page

jclick

United States
33 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  11:33:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Noticed it in July while studying the CDL manual for one of the roadeo's.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  1:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm thats a good idea, but most all of the buses are already governed at 55 or less. Hopefully they fix that!

Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  1:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yes they did approve 60 mph for school buses on Virginia interstates and from what I understand the Virginia Beach buses coming in during the school year might very well be governed at 60. I hope drivers are able to use this to their advantage especially up in the counties where they travel interstates everyday.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2007 :  1:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I do have a question: What was the former CE's DT466 governed at? I think our RPM gauge goes all the way to 4000 RPM. I'm not sure what the former CE's gauge went to, but I'm certainly not used to looking at it while my driver's driving and watching it climb those big diesel RPM numbers like that, all my former Thomas' RPM gauges only went to 3,000 RPM.

The tach on the former International/ICs went up to 3500 RPMs. The RPMs should be governed between 2,800 and 3,000 RPMs -- or less depending on your district's bus specs.
Go to Top of Page

Bus 801
Advanced Member

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  1:44:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Bus 801 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Lena, Could you give us a roster of the school buses in Stafford? I know of the 1990 GMC Thomas's, early 90s Ford BBs and 1997 Navistar Blue Birds.

Rob
Floater 421

http://community.webshots.com/user/bus801

Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  5:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was at a band show this past weekend, and saw some King George buses up there. They looked to be among the newest FS-65s around, and must have been among the last made. At any rate, I was shocked to see they are still ordering buses with Hydraulic brakes! These buses had white roofs/window tints, however their buses had manual doors and hydro brakes. I always thought that all of the full sized automatic buses in Virginia operated with air brakes. Boy, was I wrong.

=
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2007 :  6:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I had heard of that either in the modern era BusFreak. Manuals door dont shock me so much but the hydraulic brakes do I thought most everyone was using air brakes now.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

jclick

United States
33 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  04:48:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our fleet is all hyrdaulic other than the handicap units and a few buses we have taken off the vendor's hands instead of ordering.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  2:45:16 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think York County still gets hydro brakes on their IC CEs.
Go to Top of Page

2006bbvision

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  3:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
York county has not purchased HYDRO brakes since the early 90's, Newport New has only 2 Buses in the fleet now that is have HYDRO brakes.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  4:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember the electric brakes on the 1980 Fords? they were a huge problem from what i remember I hated driving them or a least what i remember they called them electric brakes.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

pbfreak30

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  5:30:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bedford county has been gettin air brakes since we've been getting FS-65's in 1999

ARROW transportation RP..the best out there!

Edited by - pbfreak30 on 09/17/2007 7:19:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

LBDboater
Advanced Member

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  6:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pbfreak30

bedford county has been gettin air brakes since we've been getting FS-65's in 1999

We've been getting air brakes since the Vista's. I know all the 95 and above Vista's have air brakes.
Go to Top of Page

pbfreak30

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  7:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh ok, see i've only ridden on 2 vistas, it was so loud and i was in the back that i couldnt have told you

ARROW transportation RP..the best out there!
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  7:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Brian, are you speaking of the light switch parking brakes? I diddn't realize that Virginia beach's 80 fords had that system...I thought they had the stick coming out of the floor like the older fords. It wasnt long after that when Virginia Beach switched over to air.

Fairfax County had some SE hydro ford buses up through last year, and I dont know if they are still around. From what I understand, the county has been all air for regular ed since the early 80s, much like virginia beach.

=
Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1243 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2007 :  10:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
disneynuts- after consulting w/ my orthopedic about my shoulder, was told i had to be realistic about it. any driving for work would have to be in a car/van type vehicle, no more real school buses

1Peter 1:3
Go to Top of Page

Bus 801
Advanced Member

USA
410 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  3:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Bus 801 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fairfax still has 7 Ford with hydro brakes. 300, 340, 356, 358, 363, 368, and 382.

Rob
Floater 421

http://community.webshots.com/user/bus801

Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2007 :  4:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bus 801

Fairfax still has 7 Ford with hydro brakes. 300, 340, 356, 358, 363, 368, and 382.

Are these the notorious Lucas-Girling (sp?) brake systems that mechanics complain so much about?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2013 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000