Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  7:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
None that are owned by tax dollars.

=
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2007 :  06:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Logos on a Va State School Board owned school bus would be a huge infraction in some places they might overlook it but not in Virginia. One inspector back in the '90s when they use to try and inspect every fleet before school opened for infractions the one guy made them peal off the inside label from BlueBird that said "your childrens safety is our business" . He made everyone of them come off and that label had been up there for many many years. I am suprized the emblems on the grill have survived but some of that thorough inspecting has ceased.

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  8:01:32 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know why the Town of West Point Public Schools have so many different items on the bus. I noticed they have a Bluebird with turn signals on the front mounted under the front windows not normal in Virginia and i noticed one of them had backup lights the size of the large brake and turn signal cover. They are state gov't licensed buses to.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  8:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have LED turn signals mounted under the windshield on our 2 CEs

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2007 :  10:55:01 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Brian, the state mandates reverse lights of ATLEAST 4 inches. I know of a few districts who spec the larger 7 inch ones. As for the turn signals under the windshield, they are allowed in Virginia, just not required. They often dont show up, because of the slightly added cost. West point might have bought some stock buses from the dealership, in which case, the dealer spected them the way they wanted. It's kindof like the second roof hatch...Not required in Virginia (unless its an 84-90 passenger bus I think), but mose districts spec them on 78 passenger buses. A few districts even spec the second hatch on their special ed shorties.

=
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  11:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Don't like those large back up lights.

Having extra flashers make it easier to notice if it's light out.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  1:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yeah , I just curious the bus with turn signals under the window was a Vision at first I thought they were just Maryland buses but then I read the side of it but part of of what through me was that they had no front license plate mounted on the Vision. I don't believe other then transits I have not seen the signals up there expect out of state or private because I believe Virginia use to require signals attached to the cow of the bus.Transits sort of changed everything.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  2:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have the signals under the windshield AND on the cowl of the bus, but because ours on Internationals, they are integrated with the headlights

bus 1980, a 2008 IC RE 300 for Fairfax County Public Schools, Fairfax, Virginia.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2007 :  3:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/1442183311058825394yCUYAL

A Loudoun Bus. I can tell by the flag sticker near the number. A signature of the Loudoun buses.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  07:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yea, plus the black window frames, cept the brand new buses don't have the flags.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2007 :  09:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They probably haven't put the flags on yet. Loudoun made it a regulation to put those flag stickers on the buses.
Go to Top of Page

VAdriver

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  6:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bus pictured (Bus 60) is now a spare bus run out of the lot in Hamilton. I'm not sure that Loudoun is putting flags on the new buses.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2007 :  8:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wonder if 122 (lcps) is a spare now, in 04 it had 88k on it, it was MVP Thomas too, 97 or 98.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  07:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So are transits going away in Virginia or just slowing down on the volume from a few years ago? We have a couple of transits but just dont hear where anymore will be purchased.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  08:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems like transit purchases are slowing down around here, atleast from my point of view. From what I've seen, Loudoun and Alexandria City have been purchasing alot more conventionals.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  12:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Interesting other then cost you know of any real reason for the change at one time things looked like they were just going to be all transits. I know severval school systems around here have seemed to have quit buying and some of those fleets are a pretty good size.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  2:07:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We only bought 2 conventionals, so for Fairfax, it looks like we will stay with transit for a bit longer. i wonder if we will get a full-size Conventional next year though?

Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  4:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Anyone going to the state roadeo tomorrow in Chesterfield County at James River High School. They arent as interesting since they started just using the same 4 or 5 buses for the event they use to have buses from all over show up that was pretty cool.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2007 :  5:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bsaund09

Anyone going to the state roadeo tomorrow in Chesterfield County at James River High School. They arent as interesting since they started just using the same 4 or 5 buses for the event they use to have buses from all over show up that was pretty cool.

No, but GO JENNIFER!!! (the FCPS contestant)

edited to add: If she wins, I wonder where they'd get the brand new bus that she'll be awarded???

Edited by - IC on 06/18/2007 5:54:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

ATRE 1507
Top Member

United States
673 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  09:23:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit ATRE 1507's Homepage  Click to see ATRE 1507's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
GO JENNIFER!!!!

FCPS is the BEST!

Bus 1507: 2001 AmTran RE

Student
Fairfax County
Area One Transportation
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  09:51:24 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
they offer a brand new to bus in Va. Beach just for winning the local event.this will be the same drivers second year in a row getting a brand new bus.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2007 :  12:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

they offer a brand new to bus in Va. Beach just for winning the local event.this will be the same drivers second year in a row getting a brand new bus.

They've talked about doing that here...I guess nothing came of it.

They are always trying to increase participation...and a new bus for winning the FCPS Roadeo would really do that, I think.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  11:06:23 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know how the state roadeo turned out this year?

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

Lena

United States
120 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  1:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Conventional Competition (2004 IC Internation)

1st Jeremy Click: Accomack County
2nd Lacy Carruth, Norfolk City
3rd Sharon Richardson, Williamsburg-JCC

Transit Competition (2007 Thomas)

1st Russell Altizer, Montgomery County (usually competes in conventional)
2nd Tyler Reynolds, Virginia Beach City
3rd Jeff Long, Newport News City

Met Jennifer Dees from Fairfax County, she is very very nice, only been driving for 9 months she says....she placed 14th out of 22....not bad at all!!

It was a super super miserably hot day!

Most smiles are started by another smile...

Edited by - Lena on 07/02/2007 1:12:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  11:30:28 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow...I'm glad to see that Virginia represented the Transit division! That's kinda cool, being that they only have a handful of operational transit style buses.

=
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  05:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info I just hadnt heard how things turned out hopefully I will get to next years competition being that it is held here in Va. Beach.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

Busdude3
Top Member

USA
1178 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  09:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Busdude3 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey - I'll be in Williamsburg and Virginia Beach later this month on vacation...

Does anyone know any bus yards or places with buses in that area?
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2007 :  7:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am not even sure where the Williamsburg yard is most of the rest of them are pretty well hidden from human eye contact. the one in Va. Beach sets about a mile off the Interstate going in toward the beach. NewportNews has there very well hidden . Most of the school systems around here have more then one lot for summer parking. They are not that hard to fine.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

Busdude3
Top Member

USA
1178 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  09:41:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Busdude3 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am not even sure where the Williamsburg yard is most of the rest of them are pretty well hidden from human eye contact. the one in Va. Beach sets about a mile off the Interstate going in toward the beach. NewportNews has there very well hidden . Most of the school systems around here have more then one lot for summer parking. They are not that hard to fine.

Thanks for your help! Do you have any directions to these summer lots?
Go to Top of Page

The Thomas Vista

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  12:33:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey;

Sorry to break the topic (and I don't know if this has been mentioned), but Chesterfield County just recently got new Thomas C2s. I couldn't tell if they had the rear stop or not (Is that now an official rule in VA; to have the rear stop?).
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  12:37:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I hear, dual stop arms are required now.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  2:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
VAPT site says they are not a Requirement on buses, simply that they are now permitted without hassle. (Im assuming in the past if you wanted a second stop arm you had to submit some sort of request) that is what I gathered from reading their site. It may however be required on buses that are 40 feet in length or more.

Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2007 :  11:14:57 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Chesterfield recently took delivery of brand new Blue Bird Visions! This is the first non-Thomas order since the late 80s for them!

=
Go to Top of Page

The Thomas Vista

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  11:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BusFreak

Chesterfield recently took delivery of brand new Blue Bird Visions! This is the first non-Thomas order since the late 80s for them!

They had those for a while and I think they are used as SPED buses. Are these new Visions going to be used on normal routes though (alongside the junkload of Vistas and C2s they have now)?

I have seen a rougue Bluebird Freightliner with Chesterfield titles on somewhere though.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2007 :  1:06:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loudoun County now has a IC BE 200. I saw it in Leesburg today. I was going to take a photo of it, but there was alot of people around. I'll be able to get a picture this weekend. The bus is either an 2007 or 2008 model. Most likely 2008.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2013 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000