Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  3:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Still looking for photos of Virginia School Buses from the 1970s if anyone has some to share my email is in the profile. Mainly looking for photos of the bus not drivers or students but if there is a cool looking bus in background would be nice to have.

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

sbdlax22

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  4:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit sbdlax22's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian-
I'm not as big a buff as most others on here, so I don't have pics to show you, but I do have a suggestion: check out old high school yearbooks! Most yearbooks have a page or 2 with a story & pics about students riding the 'big cheese'. Several libraries in NOVA have collections of local high schools' yearbooks that go pretty far back. You may not be able to get the pics you want (they may have lots of students in them), but just thought I'd pass along the idea if you want to spend the day in a library.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  4:34:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny you should mention that....just the other day I was sitting at my elementary school and a lady stuck her camera in my door and clicked a couple of pics of me at the wheel. She said, "For the yearbook" and went on her merry way. LOL

My high school (Class of '70) yearbooks have a lot of great shots of school buses.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  4:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yes good suggestions , I might go the yearbook route. I have thought of going to library to look through the local community paper and see what they have.I do some newspaper photos from the early 80's but was hoping to see what came before that in the way of photos.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

Gini
Top Member

USA
1249 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  5:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Gini an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Brian- i have one pic of the front of a 75 Ford, when i find it i'll send it to you. i'll also check my yearbooks, & if any of the bus pics are clean (no criminating writings, lol), i'll send them also.

1Peter 1:3
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  5:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Gini-- thanks that is basically what i am looking for . i actually remembered one of my sisters having a photo in an album of a friend in front of a 1973 Ford she sent it to me better then i remembered. The Ford was a Ward body bus and actually showed the three stripes on the side and the color in the pic was still really good.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  02:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went through my school's old yearbooks and found tons of great pics!
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2007 :  8:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So, I've been checking out some of the state's school bus bids, and I found this one from Prince William County. Looks like they aren't even trying to bid on any more Thomas ERs. Looks like they are putting out an invitation to bid, but only the Thomas C2 will meet all of the bid specifications. It's like they are trying to spec the C2 into winning the bid. A 77 passenger conventional must have one heck of a tail swing! New for this year, it looks like they are getting AC! The bid sheets say only one free blow unit in the rear, and the rest should come from the dash. Interesting!

http://www.pwcs.edu/purchasing/RLB-7000_IFB.pdf

=
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  02:38:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's interesting. When I talked to the TD a while back, he stated there wasn't much interest in the C2 for them. I guess that changed really quick.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  08:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They already have a TON of C2s on the road, but they aren't of this bid/spec. They don't have the AC, but they are nice looking. As far as I can tell, they havn't bought an ER for atleats a year.

=
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  08:26:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BusFreak

So, I've been checking out some of the state's school bus bids, and I found this one from Prince William County. Looks like they aren't even trying to bid on any more Thomas ERs. Looks like they are putting out an invitation to bid, but only the Thomas C2 will meet all of the bid specifications. It's like they are trying to spec the C2 into winning the bid. A 77 passenger conventional must have one heck of a tail swing! New for this year, it looks like they are getting AC! The bid sheets say only one free blow unit in the rear, and the rest should come from the dash. Interesting!

http://www.pwcs.edu/purchasing/RLB-7000_IFB.pdf

They sure did write that to C2 specs, ha, wow. Bird and IC can attempt to match certain things, but in others they will have to write an explanation on why they don't offer it.

There are quite a few districts that do this type of bidding, and many times other buses win anyway just because of a price difference.

Should be interesting.

Go to Top of Page

poor_driver

162 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  12:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bus freak

how do you check the state bids?...what's the website?
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  12:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bid that was posted above is a local bid for Prince William County. In Virginia, each county bids. That information can typically be found on the county website or the school district website, depending on where they decided to post it. Do some poking around and you'll find it.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  3:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting stuff

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  3:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Brian, I was looking at Virginia beach's bid sheet, and it has some new things on it as well. The most interesting to me was the addition of strobing stop arms....something I havnt seen in that district before.

=
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  10:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yes, all the new buses this year have them i have not actually seen any in real action as i am usually in neighborhoods all by myself . i guess the bus i get next year might have them we will see.

keep those buses rolling
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  2:15:33 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually ICRE1629, I have Virginia State bid sheets and options pricing for Sonny Merryman, Kingmore, and Commonwealth Truck Center. From what I understand, the districts bid, as does the state. Pretty much ANY option that is available to a Virginia school district is listed on these options bid sheets, and you'd be supprised they all add up for a FCPS or LCPS spec bus! They have all the options for type A, C, and D. Sonny Merryman even states on their pricing guide how much it would reduce the cost to get a manual transmission. They are the only one who is able to do that, so I'm guessing that the C2 is indeed available with it!

=
Go to Top of Page

pbfreak30

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2007 :  2:33:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all of our busses come from Sonny Merryman, as do most districts around here just for the fact that he's the closest

ARROW transportation RP..the best out there!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  08:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BusFreak

Actually ICRE1629, I have Virginia State bid sheets and options pricing for Sonny Merryman, Kingmore, and Commonwealth Truck Center. From what I understand, the districts bid, as does the state. Pretty much ANY option that is available to a Virginia school district is listed on these options bid sheets, and you'd be supprised they all add up for a FCPS or LCPS spec bus! They have all the options for type A, C, and D. Sonny Merryman even states on their pricing guide how much it would reduce the cost to get a manual transmission. They are the only one who is able to do that, so I'm guessing that the C2 is indeed available with it!

What I was referring to is the fact that the state of Virginia does not purchase the buses for the districts. The school districts are free to buy what they want as long as it conforms to Virginia's regulations. The state of Virginia does not say "Loudoun County, your getting Thomas C2's this year, like it or leave it".

I know some states, like Florida I believe, purchase the buses for the districts. The districts get little or no say in what they get as far what buses, what options, etc.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2007 :  3:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Right...I got you 1629. Florida actually does something very similar to what Virginia does. They recieve a bid from each of the manufacturers as a state, with a list of costs for upgrades, and then the district specs their own buses based off of the bids put out by the state. Florida districts actually have a wide range of vehicles on the road. Dade has been getting Visions, while Polk has been getting C2s. Florida in General has some NICE specs that fall onto their buses by default. North Carolina is one of those states who does the whole thing for the entire state, including type (A,B,C,D), options, etc. Districts in North Carolina simply say "we need more/replacment buses," and the state issues them accordingly.

I find this bidding process in Virginia very interesting! Districts can still choose whatever kind of bus they want, and they are all base priced accordingly. Say you want a 65 passenger conventional with hydraulic brakes...there is a sheet from each dealer with a base price, and then a WHOLE list of options that you can get on a hydraulic brake bus with prices. You can still get what ever kind of bus you want, but the state has actually started the work for you with their standard specs.

=
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  6:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
BusFreak, how would I be able to view the bid sheets for Newport News buses? I go looking for that kind of thing all the time but never find it.

Edited by - vabuslover on 05/12/2007 7:00:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

InoYamanakaFanboy

United States
18 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  8:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does anyone have any pictures of any newport news buses. If so can you post them?
Go to Top of Page

InoYamanakaFanboy

United States
18 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  8:43:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bsaund09

Chesapeake Schools have got the new style Vision Bluebird that looks really sharp to. I saw Bus 110 pulling in behind me at my high school activity run. It is a 72 passanger but everything else looks pretty much the same the front bumper has a redesign also not often you see them do that much redesign.

that's funny, the newport news 110 is a 2005 Blue Bird Vision. except it is a 65 passenger with a wheelchair lift.
Go to Top of Page

InoYamanakaFanboy

United States
18 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2007 :  9:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My bus for 7th grade and this year, 19, a Thomas Saf-T-Liner EF
Go to Top of Page

poor_driver

162 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  4:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see that Dinwiddie County has some of the new visions also. I saw one the other day parkd beside one of the older style visions..what a difference a new cowl makes! i thought the old style was hideous, i love the new look.

Traveling up 29 from Danville i noticed that pittsylvania county, instead of trading their buses in to sonnymerryman, they have alot of late 80's thomas fords and gmc's chevys both four and eight light systems off the highway in a field for sale to the public i think. I really couldn't get a good look because i was soo shocked to see those golden beauties that i almost ran off of the road...If anyone is from the Chatham or Campbell or Pittsylvania county are on here can help me out on what is happening?
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  4:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know what district these might belong too?
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=492743109&size=o
Go to Top of Page

Allamericanre
Advanced Member

USA
238 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  5:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC RE 1629

Anyone know what district these might belong too?
http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=492743109&size=o

Those look like FCPS buses by the position of the numbers.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/schoolbus/

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  5:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They aren't FCPS buses, that's why I asked. Here's some differences:

1955 - FCPS 1955 is an 08' RE
1938 - FCPS 1938 is an 08' RE
292 - There is no Bus 292 in the FCPS fleet currently
128 - We have no BB AA RE's in our fleet
Etc....
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  6:23:07 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to GUESS that atleast the IC REs are from Henrico County, as they are numbering buses in the thousands. As far as I know, they are the only non-Northern Virginia district that has unit numbers that high. Just a guess though.

=
Go to Top of Page

poor_driver

162 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  11:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chesterfield has numbers that high and i'm pretty sure Albermarle does also.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  08:16:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do we have anyone here with any knowledge of Fauquier County's fleet? I have some buses I need help figuring out model years. Any help would be appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  11:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've got a good grap on their fleet. 95 they got Carpenter Internationals. 96 through 2000, they got Blue Bird Internationals and Thomas Internationals. Starting in around 2001, they got International ICs (now known as the CE), and thats what they've gotten ever since. Most of the older style Internationals fronts are manual transmission, with the T444E. If you email me some of the pictures in question, there are some tell tale signs for the model years that I can point out for you. masonguy81 at yahoo .

=

Edited by - BusFreak on 05/28/2007 12:02:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  2:18:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Back to LCPS Buses, I seen a few newer IC RE's with the badge on the sides saying RE 300. There are a few older ones that say international re on the back.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  6:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The Rule in Virginia is no body logos. Chassis logos are OK. on International/IC products, it's hard to tell where the chassis ends, and the body begins. That's why the bumper logo on the ICs are allowed, as are a few other brandings.

=
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2007 :  6:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not all of the units have them like you said some of them are allowed.

Wonder though doesn't some of bb's in Va have those logo's up top? how are those allowed?

Edited by - Drew19 on 05/28/2007 7:08:12 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.4 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000