Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  2:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC RE 1629

Here is a list of what rear engine buses Thomas offered in the past few years. Correct me if I am wrong:

1998 -- Saf-T-Liner MVP ER and Saf-T-Liner ER
1999 -- Saf-T-Liner MVP ER and Saf-T-Liner ER
2000 -- Saf-T-Liner MVP ER and Saf-T-Liner ER
2001 -- Saf-T-Liner ER and Saf-T-Liner ER HD
2002 -- Saf-T-Liner HD and Saf-T-Liner HDX
2003 -- Saf-T-Liner HD and Saf-T-Liner HDX
2004 -- Saf-T-Liner HDX
2005 -- Saf-T-Liner HDX
2006 -- Saf-T-Liner HDX

I think I've got this down. Again, please correct any of my mistakes.

Wrong,

Please re-read my post and it states what models were around and when.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  2:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could you rewrite my list with the corrections? I've read your post over and over, I am not catching something. I would appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  3:54:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel the same way, I just don't understand Thomas!
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  4:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh My!

1978-2000 Thomas Saf-T-Liner ER (also had the MVP's in there for quite a while)
2001-2002 Thomas Saf-T-Liner ER and Thomas Saf-T-Liner ER HD
2003-Present Thomas Saf-T-Liner HDX

Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  4:28:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
THANK YOU! I am just more familiar with the IC's and AmTrans!
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  5:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC-RE

We forgive you.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  6:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drew19

quote:
Originally posted by IC-RE

We forgive you.

We don't forgive him, that's a sin to be more familiar with AmTrash products than Thomas products. (just a joke based on personal preference, don't take me seriously)

Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  6:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LOL! thanks! Yeah we just have more AmTran product here then Thomas, (ONLY IN FAIRFAX) most counties in VA have Thomas Built even in the boondocks, they have Thomas! But IC is making its way!
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  7:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Most counties had Thomas. Newport News had some thomas back in the early 80's but changed to all Blue Bird until 1996, when we first got AmTran Genesis FEs.

Virginia Beach also has a lot of Blue Bird.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  8:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's what nice about Loudoun they have alot of Thomas and IC Products and loudoun isn't really the boondocks.

Also the other person who works in Loudoun has lcps put led warning lights for the HDX's?

Edited by - Drew19 on 09/13/2005 8:32:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  02:16:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know LCPS has LED warning lights on it's 2006 IC RE's.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  04:38:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I know that I saw them I there. But I've seen other Thomas buses with led warning lights.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2005 :  11:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Sound Off the only company that makes those Strobing LED lights?
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  3:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just thought of this. What do you do if your at a bus stop loading/unloading children (with red lights flashing), and an emergency vehicle (ambulance, fire truck, etc) approaches? Let's say that your in a position where you would need to move the bus in order for that emergency vehicle to get through. Let's also say that your loading/unloading several (10 or more) students and not everyone has gotten on or off.

Read this scenario over a couple of times, before forming your answer. (little trick I've learned in school).

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  4:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC RE 1629

I just thought of this. What do you do if your at a bus stop loading/unloading children (with red lights flashing), and an emergency vehicle (ambulance, fire truck, etc) approaches? Let's say that your in a position where you would need to move the bus in order for that emergency vehicle to get through. Let's also say that your loading/unloading several (10 or more) students and not everyone has gotten on or off.

Read this scenario over a couple of times, before forming your answer. (little trick I've learned in school).

There really shouldn't be a need for the vehicle to be moved in order for an emergency vehicle to get through. While the emergency vehicle may be traveling the same direction as you, the bus should not be blocking both lanes of traffic which means it should be able to get around the bus.

Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  7:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had this situation last year, My driver was loading students (it was on a road that is one lane in each direction) and certain Traffic artery around here (WOX for VA people) and there was a bus loading in the opposite direction in front of us, and there were about 20 students crossing the road going to the two buses, and 2 Ambulances and a Fire truck approached, and my driver started yelling for us to scramble and get on the bus so she could move, but the guy in the ambulance yelled to my driver that OUR safety was more important, and to make sure that we load safetly, YET EFFICIANTLY, we were RUNNING! and then we boarded and moved to the right, but man was there stress, and it was only 2 minutes but it felt like a lifetime! I was freaking out, and i am not even the driver! Around here we have well over 230 schools and centers so each bus stop serves a few schools, so it gets confusing, but we have done it for all of these years! Anyway, it was a scramble and we ended up students from the other bus, (they got on the wrong one) so dispatch said for us to go to both schools, what confusion those few minutes caused ! LOL!
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2005 :  7:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They told us at the Training Center that Virginia law requires ALL vehicles to stop for school buses that are loading or unloading. That includes cops, ambulances and fire engines....EVERYBODY.

This subject reminds me of my week of on-the-job-training (OJT).....I was driving down a winding, narrow 2-lane country road with no shoulders and an ambulance with lights and siren going came up behind me. I didn't know whether to **** or go blind! The OJT driver sitting behind me told me to put on my 4-way flashers and as soon as the road straightened out (so the the ambulance driver could see down the road a little ways)....stop and let him go around me.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  05:44:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. This has generated some interesting responses.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  08:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, here is another scenario for you.

NOTE: I VERY HIGHLY doubt this would ever happen, but it could.

What would you do if you were driving down the road with full load of children, and you saw an approaching tornado?

Like I say, there is an EXTREMELY good chance this will never happen.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  3:39:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't know the answer but a Tornado have touched down in VA. But I doubt it that a bus would encounter it here.

Edited by - Drew19 on 09/27/2005 5:58:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  7:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aren't you supposed to lay down in a ditch in a tornado? Or maybe find an underpass to get under.....I've seen that on TV.

I remember a tornado touching down in Northern Va.....it was a Sunday afternoon in the early 70's. That sucker tore part of the roof off Woodson High School. It demolished a house on Sideburn Rd (near where Robinson is today). Now get this....the twister also took a school bus, parked at Pickett Shopping Center, and rammed it through the front of the ABC (liquor) store (newspaper ran a pic of just the back of that bus sticking out of the liquor store)!!

I remember I was driving home from Annapolis at the time and heard about the tornado on the radio.....I missed the whole thing, dammit!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  04:04:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That must be interesting, to see a school bus sticking out the front of a store like that.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  04:12:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think a tornado touch down some where in Virginia this year.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  04:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several have touched down over the years. Some years we have more than others.
Go to Top of Page

vaoverland
Advanced Member

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  6:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit vaoverland's Homepage  Send vaoverland an AOL message  Send vaoverland a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
See a new thread in on this board about the tornado risk in Virginia. you may be surpised to learn that we average 6 a year.

Wayne's Lifeguard in 1973 was a safety design and building concept ahead of its time and regulation. I am proud to have helped bring over 2,000 of them into Virginia during my career. I know they saved some lives.
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/WayneBusEnthusiasts/

Mark Fisher, semi-retired school bus driver, pupil transportation supervisor, contractor, and school bus body dealer, Williamsburg, VA
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  7:12:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
we have really nice Amtran/IC RE and MVP ER/HDX special ed buses and there really short.Does anybody else in this state uses RE's for special ed?
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  7:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fairfax tried out the idea. We have several 2002 and 2003 IC RE's that can be fitted with wheelchair lifts. Only a few of them (about 10 or so) actually have lifts in them.

For our purposes, an RE lift bus does not seem practical. though it does seem to work well for Loudoun!
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  7:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well the thing is that fairfax just had a 78 passenger body for the wheelchair lifts where loudoun I think has a 60 passanger body for there special ed ER's and RE's. and I think some of the MVP special ed's are really small or at leat they look like them.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  03:44:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loudoun does seem to do well using rear engine lift buses. Fairfax could probably make it work, we just need to think it through better.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  12:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
All i think they need to do is get a smaller passenger body than 78. What is the passenger body for the Blue Bird tc2000 special ed's those are the smallest ones besides some of the waynes.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  12:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The TC's have a 40 pax body. The reason it works well in Loudoun is because in your rural areas many of your routes are a lot longer than a route in Fairfax, or an urban area in Loudoun. Here we have too many tight turns and cul-de-sacs for spec ed, and not fot Reg ed. There is just NO need for a 78 passenger RE to have a lift around here, it is stupid. The only reason our IC FE's are as big as they are (60 pax) is because that is the smallest capacity transit bus IC offers, and the RE's Loudoun has are exceptions because usually the smallest IC RE body is a 72 capacity, which almost all of the 2003 IC RE's in Fairfax are 72 cpapcity but are the length of 78 pax bodies with extra leg room, and child car seats in 2/3 of the bus.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  1:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I seen some Special ed buses in Loudoun going into cul-de-sacs with no problems but you are right there is more in fairfax and plus there is one neighborr hood in alabama drive that's a apartment complex in herndon that is really tight. Loudoun might have to start buying fe buses soon with the building around. But alot of the new neighbor hoods that have wide streets.

Edited by - Drew19 on 09/29/2005 1:05:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  2:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did notice that, my cousins are moving out to that new neighborhood off 606, and it is nice, yet still rural, and that is a good RE spec ed bus application! Because the ride is still a bit lengthy, and rather than sending a spec ed bus and a reg ed bus, they can send a combined bus.
Go to Top of Page

scottyd
Advanced Member

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  04:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Send scottyd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think Fairfax only has 5 reg ed lift buses: 5, 32, 240, 969, and on other number I don't remember. We get calls to pick and area kid because the reg ed bus is at the garage.

I remember that tornado in '72. I think it was associated with Hurricane Agnes. It tore the roof off of Woodson HS, destroyed the Safeway at Pickett Shopping Center, I don't remember the school bus in the liquor store, though.

Scott
Driving America's Future
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2005 :  08:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well until we get the FCPS thread back, I will post updates here. Ok, scottyd, the other lift bus is 236, a 2002 IC RE, 32 drives for my school, snd i see it al the time.

Also, can you give me the layout for 11 oaks, I just went there as a dry run for monday, but I didn't drive behind the school, when I pull in, where do i go?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.46 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000