Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  1:26:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I saw a nice looking Thomas Freightliner on the Fairfax County Parkway (Rt. 7100). It belonged to Virginia Regional Transit. I've never heard of this company. Anyone know anything about this company?

I didn't know there were so many little contractors in this area. Middledorf, Woodlawn, Williams, etc.

Edited by - IC RE 1629 on 08/07/2005 05:23:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

specialneeds54
Advanced Member

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  08:23:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Live Only 20 minutes from Kings Dominion I did Not know if affected Children as far away as Fairfax I thought is was only the surrounding areas But I Also heard Spotsy is going back the last week in August I think that is to get more School hours in in before the Winter Months Come
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  09:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This year Fairfax's winter break is being cut short. Since Christmas & New Years fall on a Sunday, we only have a week off. Break starts December 23rd, 2005. We come back to school on January 2nd, 2005.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2005 :  7:14:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
POO! That stinks!

But yes, I guess the KD rule is a factor around here in FFX.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  04:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked it much better when winter break was about two weeks long.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  11:46:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My friend told me that the buses used at A.P. Hill at the Jamboree were from contractrs serving Charles and Calvert County schools in Maryland. About 90% of the buses were Thomases on International Chassis. They had either the DT466/DT466E or the T444E engines. The real old ones had the old DT466. I have no idea how old any of the buses are. I can tell you that the newer-looking ones had the black-power window frames. All had a PA/AM/FM radio, which most drivers left off. They only used the PA system if they needed to talk to the passengers. There were some IC CEs, mostly with the DT466E, but one or two had the VT365. There were some Thomas Freightliners, some it sounded like had the same engines found in the BB TC2000 FEs I'm used to. I guess the rest of them had Mercedes or Cat Engines; I wouldn't know since he said he doesn't know much about Freightliner buses. There were also a handful of Thomas Efs, and only one ER. But, there was a Blue Bird on an International chassis. And, he said, there was a brand-new C2 from Thomas. It was very nice, and it too had black-powder window frames.
The interiors of all the Thomas buses with International Chassis were blue. The EFs had blue interiors too, and so did the C2. Other buses, most notably the BB International, had Green or Gray interiors. Very few, mostly the very new Thomas Freightliners, some EFs, and the C2 had AC. Some buses even had a little piece under the windows that was the same color as the seat.
He didn't like the few Freightliners or EFs that vibrated a lot when they idle. A few of the older Internationals with 466s did that too. He also noticed that the trandmissions that were operated with a push-button made a weird sound when shifted from neutral to drive or vice-versa. Again, he never dealt with that before. All of the International chassis buses (Thomas and IC) had hydraulic brakes. Some Freightliner and all Thomas EF and the ER and C2 had Air Brakes. He didn't get any pics. But he did say that the logos of the manufacturer were left on the bus, and all but like a handful of the IC CEs had both the yellow turn signal marker on the front sides and a red turn signal marker in the back on the sides of the bus, along with some of the ICs and newer buses having arrows on the back turn signal markers. The Thomas C2 was also very quiet. It was also mentoned that Some buses had high headroom, and some did not. It was mostly newer ones with the higher headroom. You could tell a high headroom from the other buses from the windows extending above the entrance door on high headroom, and the door was taller than the windows on lower headroom. That us all he could find out about the buses.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  12:00:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for sharing that!
Go to Top of Page

specialneeds54
Advanced Member

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  1:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You May find Some Pictures of the Busses on this Link It is all the Pictures that The Free Lance Star took at the Jamboree I don't know How many Pics There are But when I get Time I will run Through them also http://freelancestar.mycapture.com/mycapture/index.asp?view=yes&groupingid=10143
Go to Top of Page

specialneeds54
Advanced Member

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  2:05:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://freelancestar.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=10781048&thispage=5
Bus In The Background

http://freelancestar.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=10781048&thispage=5
Just The Front of one
http://freelancestar.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=10798846&thispage=14
http://freelancestar.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=10798848&thispage=14

Edited by - specialneeds54 on 08/08/2005 2:47:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  2:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the link!
Go to Top of Page

specialneeds54
Advanced Member

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  2:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out the last link I posted it is a Convoy of Busses Taken From The Air
Go to Top of Page

specialneeds54
Advanced Member

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2005 :  3:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://freelancestar.mycapture.com/mycapture/enlarge.asp?image=10798855&thispage=14
http://freelancestar.mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=51761
No Busses Pictures of Special Needs Children enjoying The Jamboree God Bless Them
http://freelancestar.mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=50855&thisPage=5
Charter Busses
More Charter Busses
http://freelancestar.mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=50855&thisPage=6
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  04:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all the links specialneeds54. This is all very interesting. Those pictures are really cool.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  04:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just remembered some important things. There were also two Thomas Vista buses, one had the T-444E, and the other had the DT466. Only some of the newer Freightliners had white roof, and all buses, new or old, had a flashing light on the roof near the back of the bus; however, it was never used. I was told that they only use it in bad weather. I was also told that some buses did not have a school district painted on them, and a couple had the contractor instead of a district. There was also a bus that had the motor fan running constantly, and you could hear it while the bus was moving. I know it was the DT466, as some of our AmTran/IC FEs have this problem too. There were wvwn a couple buses with two stop signs-one in front and back. I really wish I could show you pictures of their buses, even though they look kinda old, they were kept very neat.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  09:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may just be me, but I find that buses with two stop arms look a little weird.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  1:54:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the same, but that is juts because we are used to the buses around here with just the one
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  2:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think the only real benefit of two stop signs is the car behind the bus can see the stop sign better. But if the red warning lights are flashing, why do you need a back stop sign?
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  2:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There you go vabuslover!!! Plus, our over 130 2006 model buses in the fleet have STROBING LED warning lights that are MORE than noticable, they are blinding along with the strobing stop sign! AND THE YELLOW PAINT!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  2:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. A busdriver would tell me when people hit buses they say they didn't see or the red lights. To me that's bs because HOW CAN YOU MISS A YELLOW 16 TON BUS!!.

By the way how much does the newer IC's weight.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  3:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The rear stop arms, which are required in New York, do help to stop red light runners, from what I and others have seen. Sometimes, even with strobing LED warning lights, the sun can hinder visibility based on the angle of a car, or whatever the situation... and in these cases, the rear stop arm helps to add another layer of protection.

Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  6:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have never seen a bus with strobing warning lights, only on the stop sign. Maybe the new buses in Newport News will have that. I have no idea weather NN will go with the Birds again or go back to IC.
Go to Top of Page

specialneeds54
Advanced Member

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  6:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 2003 has The Strobe lights on the Stop Sign I think its neat
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2005 :  7:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you think the strobing stop arms are neat, Specialneeds, let me tell you, you would FAINT at the sight of these warning lights, I know I am making a bid deal, but man thay are AMAZING, and I think all buses should be retro-fitted in my area just because they are soooooo effective, on driver that got a new bus around here, said he had NO light runners since he got the bus in February, where as in his old Thomas MVP ER with just strobing stop arm, he was run at least 4 times per day. Specialneeds, if you have any authority, or know someone who does in your district, let them know about these new lights, and to maybe look into them! We went with a cheaper bus, so we were able to get a lot of extras, like A/C, and LED, and Strobing LED lights, Tinted windows, and White roof, had we have gon with Thomas, we may only have tinted windows, and nothing else, but who knows.!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  04:08:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC-RE makes a good point. Do see if someone can look into those LED warning lights. By the way, does anyone know what company makes our LED warning lights? They look light Sound Off, Inc. lights to me.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  05:13:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've added some pictures to my Webshots page. Details are in the Fairfax County thread.

http://community.webshots.com/user/icre1629
Go to Top of Page

vaoverland
Advanced Member

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  02:17:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit vaoverland's Homepage  Send vaoverland an AOL message  Send vaoverland a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In Virginia, the no pre-Labor Day K-12 School Opening Law we have had since early 1970s was related to the opening of Bush Gardens and King's Dominion, as well as considerable pressure in support from Williamsburg, Virginia Beach and the Tidewater area. At the time, high school students were a major workforce issue, although college students have become even more so. BTW, Paramount was nowhere around when this thing went through, with heavy support from tourism factions, which include hotels, motels, and thousands of other attractions.

Wayne's Lifeguard in 1973 was a safety design and building concept ahead of its time and regulation. I am proud to have helped bring over 2,000 of them into Virginia during my career. I know they saved some lives.
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/WayneBusEnthusiasts/

Mark Fisher, semi-retired school bus driver, pupil transportation supervisor, contractor, and school bus body dealer, Williamsburg, VA
Go to Top of Page

bustroy

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  03:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a company called Transpec Worldwide. That make the LED

Driver Trainer
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2005 :  12:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
For the other lcps people or people who have info. Since we have been getting IC RE and HDX's The new IC RE's are led loaded, Does anybody know if The HDX's will have 8 way led strobe warning lights? The HDX's arleady have the led turn signals and side markers etc.

Edited by - Drew19 on 08/16/2005 2:21:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

poor_driver

162 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  5:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
talk about schools opening early..Prince Edward started on the 10th of August! also i just wanted to say that i saw a Thomas c2 oddly on Route 60 headed towards New Kent county...thinking that sonny merryman would go down 460 or either 360 to get there, but oh well i guess they know the way:)
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  5:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
poor_driver, what was the markings on the c2 that you saw?

Here in Newport News school starts day after Labor day, but I saw a driver testing out her run this morning on a very old bus, an 89 BB TC2000 FE.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  12:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This will be the 2nd time I've said this, but I'm bored and need something to do so...

I'm back from vacation.
Go to Top of Page

vabuslover
Advanced Member

United States
246 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  2:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Click to see vabuslover's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's been slow around here while you were gone IC RE 1629.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2005 :  2:32:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what i've seen.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2005 :  05:55:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw an un-marked Blue Bird All American RE on the inner loop of 495 in Virginia. At first I thought that it was the demo bus that had visited Fairfax County, but there were some notable differences between this bus and the one that visited us.

I guess it could have been a new bus someone was receving.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  04:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that this was discussed earlier. I forget where on SBF it was though. But is the Thomas EF going to be redesigned anytime soon? It is the only one of Thomas's buses that hasn't yet been redesigned.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000