Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  7:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yup, that is where the New Baltimore repair place is that IC RE 1629 goes to.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  04:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly. The little town is officially called New Baltimore.
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  07:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's an International dealer there where the buses go for warranty repairs. And I love it when they ask me to go with a group of drivers to ferry buses back and forth from there!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  08:10:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think people are a little confused here.

Yes, there is a town called New Baltimore near Warrenton. It is home to the New Baltimore International dealer. Several of our buses as well as buses from other counties end up there for repairs.

Can we move on to another topic?

Here is a question for you all, does every county in Virginia have a contract with a bus manufacturer like Fairfax does with IC?
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  1:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good question Princewilliam parks some of the buses at the cat dealership on 28 the only buses that I see of their's are Thomas EF's special ed and HDX's,does anybody else know if they have different brand of buses?
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  1:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prince William has Thomas EF's and HDX's. They also have Thomas ER's and MVP ER's. They did have several Thomas International's and Blue Bird Chevy's when I visited them in Spring 2004. The Thomas Conventionals and BB Chevy's were slated for retirement, so I am not sure if they are still around anymore.

Prince William also has three main compounds. But there are some buses parked at driver's houses and other places.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  8:53:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doesn't Prince William have a few 2005 IC CE's?
Go to Top of Page

poor_driver

162 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  04:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sonny_Merryman opens a bus center in the tidewater area...check out the site!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2005 :  05:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They might have gotten some. I haven't been down that way in awhile. I know that neighboring Fauqier County has several IC CE's.

Though it would be very weird if Prince William got IC. They are such big Thomas people!
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  05:46:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is really awesome how Sonny Merryman has a new place. I wish all three of the bus dealers were closer to Fairfax. Reason being, I could visit them more often to take bus pictures. So far I've only visited Kingmor Supply (IC Dealer) once. They are about 4 hours from where I live.
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  08:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Woodlawn Motorcoach is out of Baltimore Maryland. I'm not even sure how their name came up, just clarifying. Baltimore County Public Schools contracts out a great deal of work to them. They are I think all Blue Bird International right now. They used to have one 1995 Wayne International with black sash and tinted glass that looked down right amazing, and three or four 93 or 94 Blue Bird GMC's spec'd rather well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  09:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you happen to know about how many buses they have?
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  12:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used to have an idea based on their numbering system. However, now their numbering system makes absolutely no sense to me. I could estimate 300 or so.

Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  12:56:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might try and visit them to take some pictures. I appreciate the info.
Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  12:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would have thought Baltimore would have well over 500 becaus ethey are a arge city!
Go to Top of Page

specialneeds54
Advanced Member

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  1:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by poor_driver

Sonny_Merryman opens a bus center in the tidewater area...check out the site!

I think that is where we get our busses from at least that is what is on my Keychain I think it is an IC I call them Pug Noses
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  1:52:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IC-RE

I would have thought Baltimore would have well over 500 becaus ethey are a arge city!

Well, they are only one contractor. IC RE 1629, where are you from? I was thinking of visiting their yard too.

Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  1:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sonny Merryman is a Thomas Built dealer, we order some couty buses from there like fastran buses
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  12:32:34 AM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Jared, are you in Baltimore these days? If so, it would be awesome if you could show me around some of your yards (if you have the connection of course). email me if you can though! masonguy81@yahoo.com

=
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  07:41:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am from Fairfax County, Va.

Why do you ask?

Edited by - IC RE 1629 on 08/03/2005 07:37:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  06:43:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When does school start for differnt counties in VA? Fairfax is starting Sept. 6th this year.
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  08:31:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think loudoun county starts the last week of august. LCPS didn't partipate in the kings dominion this year like they did last year.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  09:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Kings Dominion? I know what Kings Dominion is, but what does that have to do with Loudoun County?
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  10:16:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
it's an agreement with some schools not to start before labor day. so they make more money. Thats why fairfax always start after labor day.

Edited by - Drew19 on 08/04/2005 10:17:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

disneynuts
Advanced Member

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  12:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit disneynuts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Williams Bus Lines, Inc. will have the first day of school on Monday, August 29, 2005.

We are still short three drivers. If you know of anyone looking, let them know.

Thanks.

The Kings Dominion law was passed so that KD could stay open until labor day. No schools were permitted to start before labor day. Schools had to ask for permission to start early and it was only granted due to the number of snow days lost the previous year. Fairfax never qualified due to the low number of snow days.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  12:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I think that's a dumb policy. I think schools should be able to open and close based on what the school district wants to do and not what Kings Dominion wants to do. Just my two cents...
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  2:26:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of the King's Dominion law, but if it's true.....Paramount must have spent a BUNDLE buying all the politicians necessary to pass such a law (I think there are 100 State Senators and 140 House Delegates). But all of 'em are crooks and for sale to the highest bidder.
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  2:47:57 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
WOW. Having lived in Virginia my whole life, and Virginia Beach at that, I never knew that was the reason behind opening after Labor day. I always thought it had something to do with the meaning of Labor day. You learn something new every day! Anywho, I can understand why many are opposed to opening so late, but really, why? I can promise you that if they did indeed change the law, parents would throw a FIT (especially in NoVA). Ive worked with high school band programs where the parents refuse to let their kids compete after Nov 1st, so they can plan vacations. Of course, we convinced them otherwise after a year because that policy was holding them back from bigger and better competition. But my point is, they had better be ready for a fight from Fairfax Mommies and Daddies who regularly make plans for one last cruise at the end of the summer.

I know that there have been a few "pilot schools" in Fairfax that were starting two weeks earlier to see if two more weeks of school before the SOLs were given would make a difference, I have not heard any results of the study though. Really though, whats wrong with two more weeks in the summer. The length of the summer vacation will not be affected, and why not go to Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens!

=
Go to Top of Page

Drew19
Top Member

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  2:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Drew19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of people never heard of it. My mother was a teacher at buzz aldren and found out about that law and it is true. We live in lcps for three years but she is going to teach in lcps this year.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  2:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with all of you. I never knew that either and I think it is pretty dumb.

IC, you make a good point about VA's politicians!
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  4:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But there ARE some Fairfax schools that opened this past Monday August 1. I think they call them "modified schedule". The ones I know of are in the JEB Stewart pyramid......Glasgow Middle and a few others.

PS: I still don't believe such a law was passed to benefit a cheesy amusement park! At least, it wasn't "advertised" as such....people would have complained too much. Now, it could well be that a law was passed with that intent.....but it would've had to have been wrapped in BS to disguise the real intent to make it palateable to the electorate.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  4:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find that to be a confusing mess how some FCPS schools open and close on different days. Like IC-RE told me that his school closed 6/23/05 and mine closed 6/24/05.

The start and end times are also very confusing sometimes. For instance, in my family there are 4 kids and we go to three different schools. Me, Fairfax HS, which starts 7:20 and ends at 2:05. One brother goes to Lanier MS which starts at 8:00 and ends at 2:50. The other two brothers go to Daniels Runs which starts at 9:00 and ends at 3:30. Personally they should make it a little simpler. Something like this would probably work:

Fairfax HS -- 7:20am to 2:00pm
Lanier MS -- 8:20am to 3:00pm
Daniels Run ES -- 9:20am to 4:00pm

The school day would be a slight bit shorter, but it would still meet the requirements for the amount of hours were supposed to be in school. It would also be more straight forward and easier for the bus drivers. Keep in mind this is just my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

IC-RE
Top Member

USA
4117 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  8:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit IC-RE's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will move this to the FCPS thread, that is where i will continue....
Go to Top of Page

disneynuts
Advanced Member

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  02:55:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit disneynuts's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the law was passed shortly after kd opened. back then they were one of the biggest employers in the state. paramount did not come along until years later.
Go to Top of Page

IC RE 1629
Top Member

United States
5097 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2005 :  07:43:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really wish they could change that law, but there is something to consider. Virginia's economy could be negatively affected if they did that. No one wants to see the economy suffer.

I was telling my mom about this law and she told me that the law helps Virginia's tourism alot. Without it, there could be negative effects.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000