Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Allison 2000 Transmission Problems
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RTP717

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2005 :  6:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit RTP717's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greetings to all. I work at a fleet of around 450 buses and we have about 150 buses with the Allison 2000 series transmission. We are starting to have numerous problems with these transmissions not going in reverse and defaulting and also some will not upshift. After checking many of them for codes we have changed a few solenoids that were showing failures or problems. These transmissions came with the transynd fluid which is suppose to be good for 100,000 miles. We have changed the spin on filters as recommended from Allison. We are still having the same problems with some of the same buses. After talking with Allison the have told us to remove the valve bodys and clean thoroughly amd then change internal and external filters. A lot if these are out of warranty so they are ours. Has anyone else had any of these same problems with this series transmission? Please give me any feedback you might have regarding this problem.

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2005 :  11:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had some interface problems a while back, corrosion in the main interface plug on the side of the trans. Apparently the body manufacturer left the transmissions w/ plg uncovered exposed to the elements before installing them in the bus. There was also a recall on the nss switch, check the color of the switch, I believe it should be light brown. Also check the nss harness plug, see if it shows signs of overheating, or melting.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  8:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the mileage claims from Allison is also a time limit or hour limit. I'm implying that you've done anything wrong, but check your hours/time vs. the mileage and see if you've changed the fluid in a timely manner. We have been using C4 in our Allison transmissions (545's and MD3060's mostley with a couple of 2000's)and we have had the usual solenoid issues, but nothing in huge groups in our fleet of over 1000 units (including some medium duty trucks). We have just begun to recieve our first Allisons with the factory fill of Transyn and am now unhappy because Allison won't certify any other fluid to meet their spec even though several, including Chevron do meet it.You are held hostage by them, unfairly, in my opinion. I'm not looking forward to the time when we HAVE to buy their fluid at change time, but we MUST to keep the extended warranty. The others are fine for the standard warranty, but Transyn must be used for the extended version.
If anyone ever comes up with a decent replacement for their transmissions, sign me up! We'll gladly do some testing or R & D for them!
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2005 :  10:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Listen to this-- we mix the synth with dextron-- as per shop foreman. Can't wait until they start failing, Now THAT'S going to be fun.
Go to Top of Page

transrand

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2005 :  4:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would first check to see if it has the neww nsbu switch. It slides on to the selector shaft on the left hand side. It shold be brown in color with a black deflector shield over the selector shaft. Also ther is a field action on these transmissions. You might want to call your local Allison dealer to get the serial number breaks to see if any of your transmissions fall into this.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  8:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Allison people have told me that it is safe to mix the different fluids. Allison has a field action letter for the convertors on these transmissions. The last I checked a couple of weeks back,the convertors were in short supply and my local dealer couldnt do the job. I have been having the transmissions overhauled at the same time, since Allison is paying the cost to swing the units.
Go to Top of Page

synman

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  10:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit synman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
suggest you check federal warrenty law(MAGNUSON-MOSS ACT)which states a manufacture cannot require the use of a specific brand of lubricant or any other part, unless it is provided by the manufacture free of charge under the terms of the warranty.To void a warrenty a lubricant must be directly responsible for the failure. If the oil did not cause the problem the warranty cannot be voided,regardless of brand or length of time in use. Oil analysis is acceptable as proof of oil's serviceability.( in lieu of regular oil changes,for instance. P.S. amsoil makes a 100% synthetic fluid engineered specifically for allison TES-295 transmissions. It is called TORQUE-DRIVE SYN. AUTO. TRANS. FLUID. It might be a good idea for school bus magazine to publish the MAGNUSON-MOSS ACT of the Federal Warranty law for its readers.It might help allison 2000 owners

Edited by - synman on 03/14/2005 07:10:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

DTC951

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  2:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Send DTC951 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Wow, we only have 7 buses with this tranny, they all seem to operate properly. However as time goes by the fleet will become A2000's. How much extra is the MD3060 and what extra features does it come with? It seems that the tranny makes a big difference in the performance of the bus. We have 2 1993 DT360 IHC's with the MT643 bought used, what a difference between our normal 1993's, DT360 AT545.

-Barry

Edited by - DTC951 on 03/11/2005 2:53:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  4:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The law that synman is talking about has been discussed before in the froums. I belive most filter cataloges have it printed in them.
Go to Top of Page

DTC951

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  07:18:31 AM  Show Profile  Send DTC951 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if puting the bus in gear when the RPM control is on, its at a higher RPM is bad for the bus? Shouldn't the computer kick the RPM's down automaticly? I did this the other day on a 2002 Thom, Freight, 3126E, A2000 and the bus didn't have power in OD, it was like it was still in N. The regular driver then after reported shifting problems, and the bus is at the dealer getting fixed. Maybe a new tranny... The driver said the "range" light came on.

-Barry

Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  4:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Barry,

If the RPM control was still on, and not turned off, it will give you the "range inhibited" light.

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

DTC951

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  1:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Send DTC951 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Will that "range inhibited" light cause the bus not to have power in Over Drive? Our older 2000 Thom. Freights with AT545's and 3126e's don't have this light. I guess this is a feature of the A2000.

-Barry
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  8:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Do all A2000s come with the "range inhibited" light and the "economy mode" button? Just wondering if this is optional or standard equipment with these transmissions.
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2005 :  9:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our BB/IHs have them both but I don't think that our Freightliners have the economy mode button. Need to check to be sure, though.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2005 :  11:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B. Busguy33

Do all A2000s come with the "range inhibited" light and the "economy mode" button? Just wondering if this is optional or standard equipment with these transmissions.

Every 2000 equipped bus SHOULD have the inhibited light or something similar...but we all know how things that SHOULD be sometimes arent!

As for the Economy button...no...that is not standard with this series. The two buses I had with 2000's in them lacked this feature.
Go to Top of Page

crw49

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  12:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit crw49's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RTP717

Greetings to all. I work at a fleet of around 450 buses and we have about 150 buses with the Allison 2000 series transmission. We are starting to have numerous problems with these transmissions not going in reverse and defaulting and also some will not upshift. After checking many of them for codes we have changed a few solenoids that were showing failures or problems. These transmissions came with the transynd fluid which is suppose to be good for 100,000 miles. We have changed the spin on filters as recommended from Allison. We are still having the same problems with some of the same buses. After talking with Allison the have told us to remove the valve bodys and clean thoroughly amd then change internal and external filters. A lot if these are out of warranty so they are ours. Has anyone else had any of these same problems with this series transmission? Please give me any feedback you might have regarding this problem.

Go to Top of Page

crw49

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  12:57:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit crw49's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Go to Top of Page

crw49

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  1:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit crw49's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000