Kneeling Buses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

largebus
Advanced Member

USA
468 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2001 :  1:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit largebus's Homepage  Send largebus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Many transit buses and motorcoaches have the ability to "kneel"-first of all what exactly is kneeling and second, how many-if any-school buses have it?

"Getting them there is half the battle"

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2001 :  2:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Kneeling is where the front of the bus. and its suspension, is linked to hydralic rams that raise and lower the front end of the bus to curb-side level. In some cases, like the Gillig Phantom, the stepwell does the kneeling, and also acts as a sort of wheelchair lift. I've seen it in action on a Phantom before, and its pretty neat.

One of Gillig's buses - the Advantage - takes away the need to kneel, because the entire floor is at curbside level. The bus has no stepwell at all.

As far as school buses go, I don't know if any schoolies have that feature.

"Preserving America's best - THE GILLIG! - THE BEST NEVER REST" http://www.geocities.com/gilligcoaches/
Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2001 :  5:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Largebus!
Many of your modern Motor Coaches have this newer feature.

Prevost, MCI, Mercedes, NeoPlan and most everyone now offers this item.

On the Prevosts, the air bellow from the air ride suspension releases air regulated by the driver switch to allow the coach to lower to the ground.

Currently, No school buses I understand have this option from research I have done but it is being looked at.

Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2001 :  5:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Most of the kneel featurs I've seen have involved air suspension, and you get this incredibly loud hissing noise when it happens. It lowers the front steps to a level much closer to the ground, but allows you to have the front end higher during normal travel to avoid bottoming out.

It would be a good idea on a school bus, especially for pre-k and elementary, but it's just one more thing that would cost money, and it's not really necessary.

—Phil

"It's the same way some people are obsessed with cars. I'm just weird."
Go to Top of Page

VanHool21

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2001 :  8:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bus I currently drive for a tour operator has this feature.It is a 1998 VanHool and not only will the bus Kneel,I can raise the bus and lower it about 3 inches each way.This is a nice feature when you are going through tunnels or underpasses.Also,some dips in parking lots require the bus to be raised so it won't drag on the pavement.
The VanHool will kneel 3 inches in about 15 seconds and will automaticly return to normal when the bus exceeds 30 mph if you forget to return it to normal.It is an expensive option and I doubt we will see it on any school buses soon....but it would be nice.

Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2001 :  08:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the transit industry, picking up passengers has to be a much quicker task then in the school bus industry. Moving the HC lift to the front door just makes it faster and easier , the driver doesnt have to get out of the bus like school bus drivers do.

Go to Top of Page

Deano2002

1 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  1:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Deano2002's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Bluebird All American FE and RE include the kneeling feature as an option for there new buses.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000