Bus Designs

Printed from: School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Topic URL: https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16486
Printed on: 03/28/2024

Topic:

Topic author: Lifestar Fe
Subject: Bus Designs
Posted on: 07/08/2007 1:43:09 PM
I love to design buses in my spare time. Someday I would like to start a bus manufacturing company. Here are my designs. They are a little distoted, but tell me what you think.

FE bus

CE bus

Type B bus (this one is my favorite)
Tell me what you think of these designs and what you would change. Does anyone else like to design buses?

Replies:

Reply author: ATRE 1507
Replied on: 07/08/2007 1:44:57 PM
They're cool. I like to spec them.

Reply author: schoolbus64
Replied on: 07/08/2007 2:38:22 PM
Awsome pictures!!!

Reply author: Kodie
Replied on: 07/08/2007 3:39:12 PM
Very nice, I like how the back window setup is its cool. Nice job.

Reply author: Girardin_71
Replied on: 07/08/2007 5:34:31 PM
well i design buses myself and they will be a apart of the update to my site.

Reply author: Jake
Replied on: 07/08/2007 6:08:25 PM
I'll need to show my latest off someday. Really nice, Lifestar.

-Jake

Reply author: Steven A.Rosenow
Replied on: 07/09/2007 8:20:48 PM
I did a 3D design of what I think the Gillig Transit Coach school bus should look like now (had they stayed in the school bus industry) years ago. Other than that, I haven't done any "designing" other than drawing up the blueprints for the restoration of my own bus.

Reply author: Rich
Replied on: 07/09/2007 8:49:35 PM
Here is one of my FEs from two years ago.

http://img505.imageshack.us/my.php?image=25rx7.png

Replied on: 07/09/2007 8:52:26 PM
Oh wow, Rich that is amazing. Do you have more?

Replied on: 07/09/2007 11:07:25 PM
Here is a look at my newest design, completed ten minutes ago, it is a 2010 RE, I will leave the company up to you. I am stayig with my wrap around windshield concepts.

Replied on: 07/09/2007 11:33:49 PM
I remember that one

I just located my 3D Gillig school bus design. I followed the design of the original, right down to the front and rear roofcap curvature, and then incorporated modern lighting and the Thomas ER HDX mirror design.

Replied on: 07/10/2007 03:49:11 AM
Very nice, Steven. I wish I had enough patience to make something like that.

-Jake

Reply author: Lifestar Fe
Replied on: 07/10/2007 08:56:21 AM
Wow, all of yours are way better than mine. I like those HDX mirrors on the Gillig, the look better thann they do on the HDX! I am learning to use a 3D modeling program, but I dont think I would have time to do something that good. That FE design looks great too, I like it better than my FE. Good RE to, I didnt see that before. I like that big windshield!

Replied on: 07/10/2007 5:27:22 PM
Here is a RE that I just finished. It is based on the Wayne RD9000. The tires are undersized, and its blurry, but here it is

Replied on: 07/10/2007 6:13:13 PM
My updated design.

2010 IC RE:
-Wrap around windshield with combined driver window for improved visibility.
-Lower strobing warning lights for improved safety and visibility in small cars and bad weather
-Standard upper warning lights, non strobing
-First ever entry door side stop sign for wide right pullover lanes
-Improved engine access. Engine service doors open side to side vs. the old over head engine service door.
- Air conditioning available
-60-90 passenger
-Cameras mounted in trouble spots on exterior of the bus
-Improved Defroster system
-Standard integrated crossing arm motor
-Trio stop arm system. Dual on driver side Single on door side
- Enigne options:
Re-engineered T444E engine
Maxx Force Diesel
-Wider aisle, increased by 4 inches to allow easier mobility and safety.

Replied on: 07/10/2007 9:55:31 PM
I can't read the text annotations on yer drawings

Replied on: 07/10/2007 10:01:40 PM
I know I will post something tomorrow

Replied on: 07/11/2007 11:28:51 AM
Great RE. I love those new options

Reply author: Jared
Replied on: 07/15/2007 07:04:00 AM
You can find some of my designs at my website. CLick the signature.

Reply author: disp29
Replied on: 07/15/2007 1:32:21 PM
WOW... Amazing! You guys all did a VERY, VERY wonderful job on all of those models... breath-taking, all of them!

Reply author: jjf221fe
Replied on: 07/16/2007 3:28:22 PM
Here's a Front Engine design I made in my spare time:

You'll notice a few details may be missing (mirrors) and I also spaced out where some colors need to be (the flashers). As well, stray marks are present in a few places. I had many many more designs, but I had to reload Windows on my computer and never got a chance to save everything else to a disk. This is all for now.

Reply author: SchoolBusFan
Replied on: 07/16/2007 4:08:39 PM
I love this one Steve!! Especially the "UNLAWFUL TO PASS WHEN RED LIGHTS FLASH" sign.

quote:
Originally posted by Steven A.Rosenow

I remember that one

I just located my 3D Gillig school bus design. I followed the design of the original, right down to the front and rear roofcap curvature, and then incorporated modern lighting and the Thomas ER HDX mirror design.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net/GTCA_user_galleries/g2data_8b1037c53f/albums/DesignProp/GilligDesignProposalFV_1.jpg

http://www.gilligcoaches.net/GTCA_user_galleries/g2data_8b1037c53f/albums/DesignProp/GilligDesignProposalRV_1.JPG

Reply author: Nate
Replied on: 07/16/2007 7:28:03 PM
I drew my own bus design....though, I gotta find it and scan it. I call it the 2009 Blue Bird Vision. It's based on the visions, but the headlights and turn signals are seperated. The signals are above the headlights now. It's kind of hard to explain, so I've gotta find it and scan it.

Reply author: Nate
Replied on: 07/16/2007 7:32:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jared

Hey, Jared, your site is slightly screwed up. If you try clicking the Chevy Kodiak, it goes to "Web design". Just a heads-up

Replied on: 07/17/2007 01:05:57 AM
Jared after looking back at your 09' Blue Bird Vision I really do like, maybe not for a Vision but the other features are very nice. Good job on that. Keep up the great work. Have you ever tried making a transit style bus?

Replied on: 07/17/2007 7:52:34 PM
I decided to make an updated pic of my design a few posts up. Still has a few kinks, but it shows a little more details.

Reply author: WhistlingGasser23
Replied on: 07/19/2007 6:46:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jjf221fe

That thing ought to have one heck of a tailswing! O_O

Replied on: 07/20/2007 8:05:23 PM
^^ Well yeah, I would imagine that an 84 pax. front-engine design with elongated windows and very generous legroom (some of my specs) would have quite a tailswing that accompanies it. ^^

Reply author: WhistlingGasser23
Replied on: 07/22/2007 11:26:40 AM
I feel sorry for the unlucky victim in the other lane passing by when the rear end swings out.

Reply author: Thomas Ford 85-16
Replied on: 07/22/2007 1:11:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Steven A.Rosenow

I remember that one

Steve, I just know that those lights are from the stockroom of 3M's programmed visibility manufacturing line.

Reply author: YellowBox
Replied on: 07/22/2007 8:26:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jared

AWESOME !!!!! (Do I spell it right ?)
Nice concepts man. I really like the future look on those Blue Birds.
Can you do a future 2010 WAYNE concept ???
It will be great to see how a future WAYNE will look.

Reply author: BlueBirdMan
Replied on: 07/31/2007 10:30:39 PM
dang it you guys got me itchin' to draw up a bus!

Replied on: 08/01/2007 1:36:18 PM
Here's a quick new design I've made... I wish Blue Bird would take this up someday, I think it would be a pretty good success. It's based off of Kenworth's T-300 Class 6 commercial truck series.

It's a blue activity bus (no stop signs, no flashers)

Replied on: 08/01/2007 4:35:39 PM
quick design, ha. That is amazing looking, you would have to sit pretty high up the way those Kenworths are designed. Great job on that.

Replied on: 08/01/2007 4:56:26 PM
Thank you... Well, from what I see in comparison to the vision, I would be led to believe that the driver's seat would have to be too much higher if any higher at all. Also one of the local firetruck pumpers is a Kenworth (based off of the T-300 front-end design) and I had the lucky oppurtunity to go and check it out every tuesday when it goes down to the pump house right in the back of my house (in front of Mettawee river). It's actually not as high up as one would assume. The forward visibility in those things is astounding, one reason I believe it'll work well as a school bus design. Also, it's pretty asthetically pleasing too.

Replied on: 08/01/2007 5:19:49 PM
What sort of program did you use to create that?

Replied on: 08/01/2007 5:42:48 PM
Just paint lol

Replied on: 08/02/2007 12:05:09 PM
You created that on paint? Wow, thats good. I have long wondered why more chassis arent offered for schoolbuses, when so many would work.

Replied on: 08/02/2007 12:52:10 PM
quote:

Just paint lol

I make stuff like that in paint all the time; I love it! Paint is great if you have the patience to use it!

-Jake

Reply author: 03CV200
Replied on: 08/02/2007 1:11:27 PM
Although a Kenworth and/or Peterbilt bus would look great, I highly doubt they would ever get into the school bus market, mainly becasue they both have a rep of being "premium" trucks and wouldn't "belittle" themselves by making a school bus chassis. Then again, I could be wrong, like who'd a thought International would stop selling chassis to Blue Bird, and who'd a though GM would stop making big bus chassis.

Replied on: 08/02/2007 1:22:04 PM
03CV200, I was actually discussing this very thing with another member on here through AIM... I do believe Kenworth was in the school bus market once before with their Pacific School Coach (am I wrong or correct about this?) and I was curious as to how long it survived in the market and how much of a success it was at the time of it being in the school bus market; Might any of you know? Though the chances of Kenworth or Peterbilt or any other premium CMV makes out there are very, very slim, it's always nice to dream!

Reply author: SBF3850LR
Replied on: 08/06/2007 2:26:34 PM
Have you ever seen a crown bus? 85 pass and 91 pass...I might be a bit old:)

Replied on: 08/06/2007 2:42:00 PM
I also doubt that another chassis manufacturer for school buses will be available. My dad works for a company that builds drill rigs on Peterbilt chassis, and it is like 95,000 just for the chassis. I like to dream though. If i only knew how to use photoshop... As for your question SBF3850LR, yes, i have. My school has a cuouple, but what does that have to do with thistopic?

Replied on: 08/09/2007 6:56:39 PM
I have completed the frontal interior of the type D bus I posted a while back:

Also, when I was bored and wasn't sure what to create next on paint, I created a little "gag" cartoon of the bus I rode last year. The bus (in real-life) is a 2004 Thomas FS-65.

Replied on: 08/09/2007 7:41:38 PM
quote:

I have completed the frontal interior of the type D bus I posted a while back:

Also, when I was bored and wasn't sure what to create next on paint, I created a little "gag" cartoon of the bus I rode last year. The bus (in real-life) is a 2004 Thomas FS-65.

HOLY S@*# thats sooo cool, I have tried to do that so many times and its really hard to do. The only problem I see is the kids tripping on the motor compartment.

Replied on: 08/09/2007 7:54:43 PM
Yeah, I foresaw that too. I was going to either move the right row of seats further back, move the doghouse more towards the driver's compartment, or shorten the length of the engine mount. I decided not to do anything to it, it seems sufficient enough for now anyways. The doghouse was the easy part. Believe it or not, the stairwell was a real pain in the arse... The driver compartment was easier!

Replied on: 08/10/2007 9:56:00 PM
heres my latest, its based off of the Blue Bird Vision, but its like what IC offers as its BE. Tell me what you think, nothing great.

Reply author: ThomasC2
Replied on: 08/11/2007 12:08:07 AM
It's better than what i can draw. But I think it would be a good BE type bus for Blue Bird.

Replied on: 08/11/2007 02:50:07 AM
quote:

03CV200, I was actually discussing this very thing with another member on here through AIM... I do believe Kenworth was in the school bus market once before with their Pacific School Coach (am I wrong or correct about this?) and I was curious as to how long it survived in the market and how much of a success it was at the time of it being in the school bus market; Might any of you know? Though the chances of Kenworth or Peterbilt or any other premium CMV makes out there are very, very slim, it's always nice to dream!

Yes, you are correct about Kenworth being involved in the school bus industry. In fact, they were involved in the industry for close to 25 years, and were a very strong seller along the west coast, especially in the Pacific Northwest.

Notwithstanding the fact that Kenworth's primary business is - and always has been - the manufacturing and sales of large heavy duty trucks, the Pacific School Coach was a very strong seller, and several districts in the Seattle/Puget Sound area of Washington State were at one time exclusive to them (primarily due to the fact that the Pacific School Coach was built at their East Marginal Way facility just outside downtown Seattle at the time). In fact, the Shelton School District, according to a photo in a 1954 yearbook, ran an all-PSC fleet (which was a mix of White and Ford conventional chassis with KW PSC bodies, and the T-126/216 transit style).

Their market share started to decline in the mid 1940s due to Gillig and Crown becoming strong players in Washington State, and by 1955, Kenworth (and their parent company, the Pacific Car and Foundry Company - known now as PACCAR) arranged a deal for Gillig to take over the manufacturing of them by 1955. Two years later, Gillig had exclusivity due to a deal made by Kenworth, Pacific Car and Foundry, and Gillig, which involved the sale of all tooling and rights to the Pacific School Coach to Gillig. (It's interesting to note that almost immediately, Gillig incorporated some aspects of the KW PSC design into their own Transit Coach line, such as the radiator intake scoop at the left rear corner of the roof, and the front roofcap)

I myself own a Pacific School Coach. It's a 73-passenger 1955 T-216 transit style model that served the Wahkiakum School District for almost 50 years, and is considered to be the last running and intact one left.

Here's two departing photos, one of which is a photo of a Kenworth school bus sourced from a 1946 Rand McNally USA road atlas (which was sponsored by Kenworth Truck Company, and features other Kenworth bus photos as well), and the other is a photo of my bus.

Replied on: 08/11/2007 10:36:58 AM
Thank you, Steven! These photos and your information is fantastic! Seeing as how you own the T-216 model and it's a rear-engine design, I would imagine the T-126 is the front-engine design. It's hard to comprehend that your bus is a 1955 model, it looks like it's in better shape than most of our 1998 Thomas Saf-T-Liner EFs! I'm sure you've done extensive work on this bus to make it look this nice, but there's no denying the fact that just about anything with the Kenworth name (or Peterbilt, seeing as how they are both under the parent company PACCAR) will be built like a tank.

What engines were options in the transit line? Was CAT an option for both of them? Cummins? Or did PACCAR offer their own engine in the buses, as I know that Kenworth's medium duty trucks of today (such as the T-300, which I based my little model bus after) offer the PACCAR engine. Were engine options exclusive to the T-126 or the T-216? I wouldn't imagine so, seeing that monstrous grille on the T-126 which is usually the issue with front-engine designs of today: Engine space and access.

Thanks once more!
-Jared F.

Replied on: 08/12/2007 12:35:41 PM
Here is an udated version of my 2008 Wayne RD9000 design. It has:
Front/Rear/Side views
A/C vents
Side engine vents that channil the air throught the engine and out the back
Dual stop arm (not very detailed, too lazy to fix it)
updated headlights/windshield for those of you who saw the first version of the front
Backlit School Bus sign
Flashing/Strobing "STOP WHEN RED LIGHTS FLASH" sign on rear. When the driver activates the reds the orange box strobes and "STOP" and "WHEN RED LIGHTS FLASH"

All of your designs are very good. I could never draw anything that good on paint as jjf221fe's cartoon FS65 bus. I like that BB Vision/BE, it would be a nice alternative to all those type As.
Edit: fixed the stop arms that i didnt have enough patience to do before

Replied on: 08/12/2007 12:44:09 PM
Lookin good! I like the design. Just remember; Paint needs patience.

-Jake

Replied on: 08/14/2007 01:34:51 AM
quote:

Thank you, Steven! These photos and your information is fantastic! Seeing as how you own the T-216 model and it's a rear-engine design, I would imagine the T-126 is the front-engine design. It's hard to comprehend that your bus is a 1955 model, it looks like it's in better shape than most of our 1998 Thomas Saf-T-Liner EFs! I'm sure you've done extensive work on this bus to make it look this nice, but there's no denying the fact that just about anything with the Kenworth name (or Peterbilt, seeing as how they are both under the parent company PACCAR) will be built like a tank.

What engines were options in the transit line? Was CAT an option for both of them? Cummins? Or did PACCAR offer their own engine in the buses, as I know that Kenworth's medium duty trucks of today (such as the T-300, which I based my little model bus after) offer the PACCAR engine. Were engine options exclusive to the T-126 or the T-216? I wouldn't imagine so, seeing that monstrous grille on the T-126 which is usually the issue with front-engine designs of today: Engine space and access.

Thanks once more!
-Jared F.

No, there were absolutely NO diesel engine options available in the Pacific School Coach, and after 1946, there were no front-engine transit style units built (they'd switched to the unique 4-pane windshield design seen in my bus that year, which didn't accomodate a front-engine design). The above photo of the front-engine model is actually of a much older bus dating back to the very late 30s and possibly early 40s (before production began on the T126/216), but used in a Kenworth-sponsored Rand McNally road atlas from 1946. The T126 was a rear engine model like mine (and for all intents and purposes, identical), and I've got some sneaky suspicious thought that someone at Kenworth might've typo'ed the model number in the builder's plate... The reason? Right up until the time I bought mine, I'd never even heard of a T216!

But alas, no, both were rear engine models and back then, Kenworth wasn't putting any diesels in their buses. (although they were the first to switch from gas to diesel in 1933 for their semi trucks! ]).

The standard engine option available for the Pacific School Coach (T126 or T216)were either Hall-Scott 590 six-cylinder engines or the International Red Diamond 450 six cylinder engines, both mounted vertically inline at the rear of the bus (save for conventional models, which included Ford gas engine options as well), with the International RD450 engine being the most popular engine option.

However, some were later retrofitted with diesels. Centralia/Chehalis Public School District had 5 1955 Pacific School Coach buses identical to mine and each was retrofitted with Detroit 6V53 diesel engines in the mid 1970s, and later retrofitted with automatics, and Shelton School District ran one retrofitted Pacific School Coach until the mid 1980s.

BTW, stay tuned. I've got some new photos of my bus coming taken last weekend. I took it out for a drive, and to a truck show.

Replied on: 09/18/2007 1:35:39 PM
I was bored so I decided to work on a bus. The wheels are a bit off.

Reply author: GMCBlueBird83
Replied on: 09/18/2007 2:43:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by IC Kodie

Hey, its a GMC Ward

Replied on: 09/18/2007 3:27:24 PM
Quick design? Yeah right. It looks very good!!

quote:

Here's a quick new design I've made... I wish Blue Bird would take this up someday, I think it would be a pretty good success. It's based off of Kenworth's T-300 Class 6 commercial truck series.

Replied on: 09/18/2007 3:29:39 PM
You do these very good!!

quote:

Replied on: 09/18/2007 3:45:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SchoolBusFan

Quick design? Yeah right. It looks very good!!

quote:

Seriously, it didn't take that long... I took a T-300 off of the official KW website and made modifications to it, and just slapped on the windshield straight from the pic off of the website (it looked cooler that way).I'm thinking about brewing up some new designs on trusty good-'ol paint. Gotta keep up with the competition

Replied on: 09/18/2007 7:10:30 PM
heres some add ons to my Vision inspired design.

My RE design is in the works. Heres a preview. Also you can see my start of the RE front. I used the headlights off of a real bus.

Replied on: 09/18/2007 8:35:55 PM
Great designs Kodie! Cant wait to se it finished.

Replied on: 09/25/2007 3:04:22 PM
Not a school bus but a school bus inspired design of a tractor. It has both a dump and a mower which for me at least is so much more conveniant than a trailer.

Replied on: 09/25/2007 4:15:36 PM
quote:

Not a school bus but a school bus inspired design of a tractor. It has both a dump and a mower which for me at least is so much more conveniant than a trailer.

I've made designs such as this. Here's one I did of a general "heavy-duty utility vehicle" :

I've done others, I'll try and see if I can find them...

Replied on: 10/07/2007 3:21:28 PM
Heres the ad on to my RE design.

Replied on: 10/08/2007 4:44:58 PM
Thats really good! I am working on an FE design, I will post it here when it is done.

Replied on: 10/09/2007 11:00:47 AM
Check out my designs, New, made in paint:
http://busyard.byethost7.com/drwentagreeyes01noopt2.html

-Jake

Replied on: 10/09/2007 11:56:03 AM
Not my design but some modifications to the roof cap and grille.

Replied on: 10/10/2007 5:15:55 PM
Great S1800 Jake! Looks very realistic.

Replied on: 10/10/2007 5:46:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lifestar Fe

Great S1800 Jake! Looks very realistic.

Thanks, it took me nearly 4 months to get it that good. Lots of practice, and all. It helps if you know your paint skills. Its not so blurry on the computer, something about photobucket does that.

-Jake

Replied on: 10/10/2007 6:14:12 PM
In the works still. As you can see I switched the radiator to the other side. The driver area is different also.. you will see that later.

Replied on: 10/11/2007 02:47:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by the First Student guy

Jake, what happened to the pictures you put up a wicked long time ago? They weren't bad.

ay ay ay, What are you talking about? Your being too vague.

Replied on: 10/12/2007 02:52:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by the First Student guy

I remember the Thomas and Carpenter buses you usto draw, a junk yard picture, and others. Can you please repost them on your site?

You mean ones I physically drew instead of computer generated, yea, They'll be back soon.

Replied on: 10/12/2007 7:51:45 PM
I modified the driver area, and eliminated that overhead control panel. The driver area still needs work.

Replied on: 10/12/2007 8:05:37 PM
Nice IC! Here is my design. Sorry it is a bit blurry. It is based on a Freightliner Chassis, and has some HDX aspects to it.

Replied on: 11/03/2007 11:53:01 PM
Here is just a front to a concept IC FE. More to come.

Replied on: 11/12/2007 12:23:27 PM
Here is another design that I have ben working on for awhile. It looks something like an old Microcirt, but is different in alot of ways. The bus is a handicap bus, but has no lift. The stepwell folds flat and a ramp extends out the bottom for this to be possible. The attendants seat can swivel around to have better view of the students, and there is a mirror system for the driver to see the door better.

Replied on: 01/06/2008 04:08:20 AM
I have come up with something new, or what I believe to be new. This is an RE school bus but there is a grille in the front of the bus for the air to flow to the back... how you ask? through a series of ducts. Your comments are appreciated, its out there but I like it. The 3D view is as done as its going to get. Obviously the right side would have seats and the other air intake cover. The front of it is sorta C2ish unfortunately. The 3D and other view are slightly different behind the rear seat, I made them days apart and didnt realize until a minute ago. I must have cut off the end of the bottom image. It is suppose to have radiator on the end, sorry.

Replied on: 01/06/2008 10:47:47 AM
Kodie, instead of PAINT, i'd recommend you to use this.

http://sketchup.google.com/

Replied on: 01/06/2008 2:12:28 PM
Looks pretty nice. Very detailed too, alot better than i can do...
Anyway, I like the lower ducts and the idea, but the upper grill seems odd to me. I like the ducts under the seats though.

Reply author: bus724
Replied on: 01/06/2008 2:41:40 PM
It's a good idea, but you'd need a really good system of air filters to keep those ducts clean. It might be better to try a rear engine with a front radiator, just run coolant lines instead of air ducts. That might also help with better heat and defrosting for the driver.

I've never seen it done on an RE, but I've driven a Volvo transit bus that had a mid-mount underfloor engine (like a Crown), but with a front radiator.

Reply author: Buskid
Replied on: 01/06/2008 4:37:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by bus724

I've never seen it done on an RE, but I've driven a Volvo transit bus that had a mid-mount underfloor engine (like a Crown), but with a front radiator.

To add to that, Crown did utilize the forward radiator/mid-mounted engine combination on some of their buses in the 1940s.

Replied on: 01/06/2008 5:49:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 92WardSenatorFE

Kodie, instead of PAINT, i'd recommend you to use this.

http://sketchup.google.com/

Thanks Jake, I will give it a try. I wasnt aware Google had that technology.

Replied on: 01/07/2008 9:50:37 PM
I added to my design. I was experimenting. More to come.

Replied on: 03/16/2008 3:32:23 PM
I was sketching in study hall a few months ago and came up with this. I spilled water on it so it got wrinkled but you get the idea. I messed up the cup holder on the left pretty badly.

Replied on: 03/16/2008 3:56:43 PM
Nice! I sketch bus designs all the time, but i wont upload them because they are kind of messy. If I come up with a good idea, then I work on the idea in the computer. I am working on a RE design right now, with a rear exit door. I drew it all out in Spanish, and now I just have to make it in the computer. I should be finished next week.

Replied on: 03/16/2008 4:14:18 PM
quote:
I drew it all out in Spanish

Shouldnt you be paying attention?

I look forward to seeing yours. I have more somewhere.. I just have to find them.

Replied on: 03/18/2008 1:33:20 PM
Ive had this done for awhile and just found it. The angle is messed up but I still think it looks good. Its a Blue Bird IHC.

Here is an activity bus version:

Replied on: 03/22/2008 10:18:17 PM
Love it!! Just got back from my trip, so I should have my bus design finished by Tuesday.

Replied on: 04/06/2008 4:19:24 PM
Another I have had done but came across in some files:

Replied on: 06/24/2008 3:24:11 PM
This isnt exactly new but I made this one over the past two days. Its suppose to be a 1979 Wayne Loadstar, CA spec. Its not perfect but Im happy with it.

Replied on: 06/24/2008 4:00:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Kodie

This isnt exactly new but I made this one over the past two days. Its suppose to be a 1979 Wayne Loadstar, CA spec. Its not perfect but Im happy with it.

Very nice what program are you using?

Replied on: 06/24/2008 5:38:40 PM
Good ole' paint.

Replied on: 06/26/2008 12:09:10 PM
I created another. Its a Thomas Vista. I think the hood sticks out a bit too far but overall I am happy with it.

Replied on: 06/26/2008 1:07:15 PM
Wow, you're right I left out some mirrors! Oh well.. I'm too lazy to go back and fix it .. I'll fix it eventually.

Replied on: 06/26/2008 1:23:13 PM
Great job!!!!! Both of those are very good.

Reply author: mr.dave
Replied on: 06/26/2008 4:26:38 PM
I want a big "fly swatter" for cars parked in bus loops.

Reply author: IC-RE
Replied on: 06/27/2008 5:52:25 PM
That Vista is good! It looks like a VA spec'ed bus since it doesnt have the Thomas logos etc. lol

Reply author: Thomas Ford 85-16
Replied on: 06/28/2008 08:55:31 AM
These last few pages are great you guys! I don't have time or patience to sit down and do this stuff anymore. I'm really impressed by that Wayne, Kodie, and your design work in Paint is good too. You obviously pay attention to detail.

Did you base that Wayne off of something you saw? Just curious since I didn't think they had overhead mounted wipers that late in the game.

Replied on: 06/28/2008 10:50:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ford 85-16

These last few pages are great you guys! I don't have time or patience to sit down and do this stuff anymore. I'm really impressed by that Wayne, Kodie, and your design work in Paint is good too. You obviously pay attention to detail.

Did you base that Wayne off of something you saw? Just curious since I didn't think they had overhead mounted wipers that late in the game.

Thanks so much for your comments everyone! Thomas-Fod, I looked at a few different Waynes while making it, so it is possible that the wipers are wrong. The lift door and emergency doors were a request made by someone, and I had a picture to go off.

Replied on: 06/28/2008 12:57:33 PM
quote:

The lift door and emergency doors were a request made by someone, and I had a picture to go off.

Looks great Kodie!!!

Replied on: 07/14/2008 10:29:28 PM
quote:

I have come up with something new, or what I believe to be new. This is an RE school bus but there is a grille in the front of the bus for the air to flow to the back... how you ask? through a series of ducts. Your comments are appreciated, its out there but I like it. The 3D view is as done as its going to get. Obviously the right side would have seats and the other air intake cover. The front of it is sorta C2ish unfortunately. The 3D and other view are slightly different behind the rear seat, I made them days apart and didnt realize until a minute ago. I must have cut off the end of the bottom image. It is suppose to have radiator on the end, sorry.

Okay first of all these drawings are great! I was looking at this design and wondering a few things but first..what direction is the air flow going into the radiator?

Replied on: 07/14/2008 10:37:46 PM
I didnt put much thought into the mechanics of it but the air would flow from front to rear, starting from the grille on the front of the bus.

Replied on: 07/14/2008 10:50:15 PM
my thought would be why not eliminate the extra ducts and just have airflow from the sides close to the radiator..just a thought

Reply author: ICrider
Replied on: 12/07/2008 08:01:27 AM
quote:

You'll notice a few details may be missing (mirrors) and I also spaced out where some colors need to be (the flashers). As well, stray marks are present in a few places. I had many many more designs, but I had to reload Windows on my computer and never got a chance to save everything else to a disk. This is all for now.

Holy crap!Thats a heck of an overhang.................I like it!

Replied on: 12/07/2008 3:10:11 PM
My attempt:(mark this,needs a TON of work

Replied on: 12/07/2008 5:46:56 PM
This 1 used SketchUp:

Replied on: 12/08/2008 04:57:12 AM
quote:

Not my design but some modifications to the roof cap and grille.

And I really like it.

Replied on: 12/10/2008 4:46:51 PM
My most recent paint model. Obviously its a C2. I only did one side, but in three different versions.

Reply author: Rich
Replied on: 12/10/2008 5:29:26 PM
Wow, great job drawing those C2s! I never was able to perfect Paint that well.

Replied on: 12/10/2008 5:33:26 PM
Neither did I,look at the design done by me not using Sketchup,Ill quote it in the next post.

Replied on: 12/10/2008 5:35:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ICrider

My attempt:(mark this,needs a TON of work)

-

That is my first and only Paint attempt,my Google SketchUp version is a lot better.Will quote the 3D Google version next.

Replied on: 12/10/2008 5:51:31 PM
quote:

This 1 used SketchUp:

Replied on: 12/10/2008 6:40:42 PM
Nice job Kodie! I'll have to post mine someday that Dave and I made.

quote:

Neither did I,look at the design done by me not using Sketchup,Ill quote it in the next post.

Thank you for quoting that. I obviously didn't see them posted before Kodie posted his...

Replied on: 12/10/2008 7:03:24 PM
Kodie, I am speechless...for several reasons.
1. THAT IS SPECTACULAR
2. Thats a Thomas, which you hate, and above that, a C2!
3. THAT IS AMAZING!!!

I just can't get over it! I would go on and on about i, but dinner is ready, and I feel I have made my point.

Still though...how did you learn to draw like that? And how long did it take you?

Replied on: 12/10/2008 7:16:47 PM
Thank you for the compliments :)

Sam you crack me up! That drawing took me about 45 minutes. I just look at tons of pictures and use reference points on the bus to make everything to scale.

Generally I start with the tires and then look at an actual picture and say "ok.. so the bumper is about 1/2 of the tire height" so then I make a bumper half the tire height. And from there I reference off of other things as I go.

Replied on: 12/11/2008 4:07:06 PM
And here is one with both sides of the bus, and the rear. I'll tackle the front another day. I'm not too pleased with how the warning light area came out on this bus.

Direct Link: http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/kshamrock12/C21-1.jpg
Click the direct link for a nicer image.

Replied on: 12/11/2008 4:43:14 PM
Cool

Replied on: 12/11/2008 5:19:41 PM
Looks really nice Kodie!
I will have to try your strategy...I always start with the body, and then the wheels are either way over or undersized etc. It would still take me alot longer to do that good of a drawing though...especially a conventional!
ICrider: My first paint buses were awful! I couldn't figure out how to do anything! Then we went over the tools a little in my computer class at school, and I figured it out.
I suggest that instead of free-drawing alot of it, you use the rectangle, circle tool etc. Also, make use of the copy and paste tool. I am awful at sketchup...but I haven't put much time into it.

I have some designs that I did a year ago and never posted. If I get around to it, I will finish and upload them this weekend.

EDIT: Thats wierd...it posted it twice! I will delete the second post.

Replied on: 12/16/2008 12:33:12 PM
Sam,you know me as 09ICCE200,Administrator of Tri-State Transportation RP and driver of bus 10401 on ARROW.

Replied on: 12/16/2008 2:32:02 PM
quote:

Sam,you know me as 09ICCE200,Administrator of Tri-State Transportation RP and driver of bus 10401 on ARROW.

Or short.. icrider.

Replied on: 12/16/2008 5:10:00 PM
quote:

I know, it is just to hard for me to remember everyones name...and be sure I am right. I knew who you were, I just couldnt remember your username or name, so I put the one you use here. That way other people know who I was talking to also.

Anyway, got one of the buses uploaded.
It is based off of a transit bus. It also has some European styling...as you can tell by the name and the second version!

I couldnt get it to upload the other one...I will try again later.

Replied on: 12/17/2008 04:14:05 AM
Weird,but a nice design.

Replied on: 12/21/2008 12:52:18 PM
I know it is a bit weird...but if it isn't then it is normal, and then it is just a drawing of a bus, not really a concept, lol.
Anyway, I designed that with the Gillig Phantom school bus in mind and I though "What would a schoolbus based off of a transit bus look like today?" and I came up with that. The doubledecker was just for fun.
Anyway, I finally got my other design to upload. It is "weird" too but I like it. It is s RE, with a rear exit door, and a bit of a coach-like look. It also has European styling on the front end.

Replied on: 12/21/2008 1:25:50 PM
That's interesting Sam, nice design.

Replied on: 12/21/2008 5:32:14 PM
Thanks Kodie! I know it is a bit odd, but like I said, if it wasnt, then it would be boring...at least to me, lol.
Anyway, to show you guys that I am not crazy, here is an All American that I did...well, not from scratch, but I modified it from a conventional. I forget if I have posted it here before...if I have, forgive me.

Also, here is a Gillig I did...

I did all of those awhile ago, so I may have forgotten if I already posted them!

Replied on: 03/25/2009 5:15:28 PM
New All American FE. I'll get around to the sides another time. I'm not sure if it's the upload to photobucket, or paint, but a lot of the lines that were visible, are no longer visible.

Here is the update to the rear of that C2 I did, I guess I never posted it here.

Replied on: 10/20/2009 1:39:04 PM
Been awhile:

Reply author: DadeCountybus
Replied on: 10/20/2009 3:42:19 PM
This is a Florida spec'd Type C bus, Based on the Blue bird vision.

Replied on: 10/20/2009 11:30:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lifestar Fe
Also, here is a Gillig I did...

I did all of those awhile ago, so I may have forgotten if I already posted them!

How in the hell did I end up missing this?! This is fantastic work. :)

Replied on: 01/30/2010 6:53:40 PM
It's been awhile, but here's two more. The vision was finished today, the G5 yesterday.

Reply author: thomasc2
Replied on: 02/14/2010 1:18:30 PM
Wow, those look really good.

Replied on: 02/14/2010 3:32:38 PM
Thanks! I'm glad someone finally replied! lol

Replied on: 02/14/2010 9:33:04 PM
The reason people don't reply is because the drawings are so good it leaves them speechless!

(I'm serious...I don't quite know what to day; your buses are so realistic and so good!)

The reason I don't reply here is 'cause I see it on ARROW...

Thanks Steven! SOmehow I missed your comment!
I based that drawing off of the El Dorado 636D already on your site. I have since found out that that drawing isn't accurate though (#28 is actually an 855).

Reply author: Alex403
Replied on: 10/05/2013 5:05:55 PM
quote:

I know I will post something tomorrow

Sorry to bump, but can I see this bus?

Reply author: CASTransportation
Replied on: 03/17/2014 4:08:39 PM
Here's my design based on a Matchbox:

http://michaelokeefe1991.deviantart.com/#/art/Matchbox-School-Bus-Design-299123950?hf=1

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums : https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/

© 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine

Close Window