Beginning Oct. 1, applications will be available for an American Logistics Co. (ALC) scholarship to attend the 20th National Conference & Exhibition on Transporting Students with Disabilities & Preschoolers, to be held March 11-16, 2011, in Kansas City, Mo.
The ALC scholarship fully funds the cost of travel, lodging, and conference and workshop registration fees. It also includes an allowance for certain meals not provided during the conference, reportedly making it the most comprehensive scholarship available to pupil transportation professionals.
Applicant criteria are as follows:
• Individuals must be a current employee of a school district or Head Start provider.
• Individuals must serve in a transportation or related service position (as defined by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act).
• He or she must have held such a position for a minimum of one year prior to applying for this scholarship.
• He or she must submit a signed letter of recommendation and approval from his or her employer to apply, and if chosen, accept the scholarship.
• If chosen to receive the scholarship, the individual must attend the conference from March 11-16.
• Previous presenters at the National Conference on Transporting Students with Disabilities & Preschoolers aren’t eligible to receive this scholarship, nor are those who have already registered to attend in 2011.
To request the application packet, send an e-mail to [email protected].
Last year’s ALC scholarship recipient was Betsy Schulthess, transportation safety coordinator for St. Charles (Ill.) Community Unit School District 303. Schulthess is responsible for the safety and security of 14,650 students and 140 drivers and assistants.