Last Chowchilla school bus kidnapper seeks parole
Frederick Woods, one of three men convicted in the 1976 kidnapping of 26 children and their school bus driver, has a parole hearing scheduled for Thursday. A congresswoman and a retired state appellate judge say that he has served enough time.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The last of three convicted kidnappers who was involved in the notorious Chowchilla school bus kidnapping nearly 40 years ago is seeking parole, the Associated Press reports.
Frederick Woods, 64, has a parole hearing scheduled for Thursday, according to the news source. Supporters include a congresswoman and a retired state appellate judge, who said that Woods has served enough time and should be released, the Associated Press reports. In Woods' last parole hearing, in November 2012, he insisted that the men hadn’t intended to hurt the children, but he was denied parole for the 13th time.
Woods and his friends, brothers James and Richard Schoenfeld, hijacked a school bus in Chowchilla and imprisoned the 26 children and bus driver aboard in a buried moving van on July 15, 1976. The three planned to demand a $5 million ransom from the state board of education. However, after 16 hours, the bus driver, Ed Ray, and some of the students were able to break through a covered opening in the van's ceiling and get everyone to safety.
The three men had staked out several school districts before choosing Dairyland Union School District, which they thought was located in an area rural enough for a hijacking during the day with no one noticing, and they followed the bus for weeks to learn its route, according to the Associated Press.
As previously reported, James Schoenfeld was released on parole in August, and Richard Schoenfeld received parole in 2012. Jodi Heffington-Medrano, Jeffrey Brown and Lynda Carrejo Labendeira, who were part of the group of students who were kidnapped, told the news source that they oppose Woods’ potential parole and feel betrayed by the release of the other convicted kidnappers.
To read the full story, go here.
More Safety

FMCSA Names New Chief Safety Officer: What School Bus Operators Should Know
Steve Dowling is set to lead the federal agency's efforts to advance commercial motor vehicle safety and reduce crashes, fatalities, and injuries on the nation's roadways.
Read More →
New Study Finds School Zone Speed Safety Cameras Cut Speeding Violations 97%
A Florida university's research demonstrates that Verra Mobility's automated enforcement changes driver behavior and significantly improves school zone safety.
Read More →
What Changed in DOT’s New National Roadway Safety Strategy?
The federal agency's new plan shifts its focus to safer people, roads and vehicles, with a new three-pronged approach instead of five. One outlined action even addresses a key industry concern around illegal school bus passing.
Read More →
Are Autonomous Vehicles Ready to Safely Navigate School Bus Stops?
NHTSA is accelerating autonomous vehicle deployment through new safety standards and commercial approvals. See why school transportation leaders are watching.
Read More →
NFL Star Lomas Brown Kicks Off New Illegal School Bus Passing PSA
Just in time for the back-to-school season, the former Detroit Lions offensive tackle took time to record a video encouraging motorists to slow down around school buses.
Read More →
How Two Texas Districts Built Award-Winning Safety Programs
Learn how Prosper ISD and Rockwall ISD earned National Safety Council honors through hands-on training, safety culture, and strategies that reduced transportation incidents.
Read More →
NHTSA Releases 10-Year Review of Fatal School Bus Crashes
The latest federal analysis reinforces the safety of school buses while identifying where school-age pedestrians and other motorists remain most at risk.
Read More →
2026 NASDPTS Survey: Data Shows Further Reduction of Illegal Passing
New data is in! School bus stop-arm passings are down to 38.4 million violations per year, about a 2.3% decrease from last school year — but passings on the right side of the bus are higher than ever.
Read More →
Another School Bus Fatality Reported in Monsey, New York
A 7-year-old girl died after being struck by a school bus in Rockland County, New York while crossing the street. Here's what we know.
Read More →
NSTA Announces 2026 School Bus Driver International Safety Competition Winners
Drivers from across the U.S. and Canada showcased their safety and driving skills, with two defending champions successfully retaining their titles.
Read More →
