North Carolina school bus driver thwarts potential shooting
When Alice Bradley saw a man and woman headed toward her bus and the man allegedly pointed a gun at her, she drove her car toward him and they ran away. The suspects were later arrested after pulling a gun on a deputy and said they would have started shooting teachers and students.
MACON COUNTY, N.C. — The actions of a school bus driver prevented a possible shooting at an elementary school here last week, ABC 13 reports.
On Thursday morning, bus driver Alice Bradley spotted a couple, Adam Conley and Kathryn Jeter, headed toward her bus and Conley allegedly pointed a gun at her, according to the news source. Bradley drove her car toward him, the two ran away and she called 911, according to a press conference on the incident, ABC 13 reports. Shots were fired outside South Macon Elementary School at about 5:30 that morning, and school was canceled for the day.
Conley and Jeter were arrested after pulling a gun on a deputy and refusing to drop the weapon. A loaded pistol was found on Bradley’s bus in the front seat, and at least five guns were found on the couple, Sheriff Robert Holland said in a press conference. He added that the suspects said they would have started shooting teachers and students because it was "God's will." A cat was also found shot and stabbed on the campus. Holland added that marijuana was found on the couple and they were “on something.”
The pair faces felony charges that include attempted murder and are being held on a $1 million bond, according to ABC 13.
Bradley is being called a hero for her quick actions, ABC 13 reports. Holland said her actions possibly prevented “something much worse.” Parents are also calling Bradley a hero, but she said she only did what anyone else would do.
A press release from Macon County Schools said that the incident “was not a textbook event that one can prepare for” and district officials will apply what was learned from this event “to handle future emergency events more efficiently.”
More Safety

FMCSA Names New Chief Safety Officer: What School Bus Operators Should Know
Steve Dowling is set to lead the federal agency's efforts to advance commercial motor vehicle safety and reduce crashes, fatalities, and injuries on the nation's roadways.
Read More →
New Study Finds School Zone Speed Safety Cameras Cut Speeding Violations 97%
A Florida university's research demonstrates that Verra Mobility's automated enforcement changes driver behavior and significantly improves school zone safety.
Read More →
What Changed in DOT’s New National Roadway Safety Strategy?
The federal agency's new plan shifts its focus to safer people, roads and vehicles, with a new three-pronged approach instead of five. One outlined action even addresses a key industry concern around illegal school bus passing.
Read More →
Are Autonomous Vehicles Ready to Safely Navigate School Bus Stops?
NHTSA is accelerating autonomous vehicle deployment through new safety standards and commercial approvals. See why school transportation leaders are watching.
Read More →
NFL Star Lomas Brown Kicks Off New Illegal School Bus Passing PSA
Just in time for the back-to-school season, the former Detroit Lions offensive tackle took time to record a video encouraging motorists to slow down around school buses.
Read More →
How Two Texas Districts Built Award-Winning Safety Programs
Learn how Prosper ISD and Rockwall ISD earned National Safety Council honors through hands-on training, safety culture, and strategies that reduced transportation incidents.
Read More →
NHTSA Releases 10-Year Review of Fatal School Bus Crashes
The latest federal analysis reinforces the safety of school buses while identifying where school-age pedestrians and other motorists remain most at risk.
Read More →
2026 NASDPTS Survey: Data Shows Further Reduction of Illegal Passing
New data is in! School bus stop-arm passings are down to 38.4 million violations per year, about a 2.3% decrease from last school year — but passings on the right side of the bus are higher than ever.
Read More →
Another School Bus Fatality Reported in Monsey, New York
A 7-year-old girl died after being struck by a school bus in Rockland County, New York while crossing the street. Here's what we know.
Read More →
NSTA Announces 2026 School Bus Driver International Safety Competition Winners
Drivers from across the U.S. and Canada showcased their safety and driving skills, with two defending champions successfully retaining their titles.
Read More →
