Kimberly Venable (second from left) of Englewood Schools won the CSPTA Operations Person of the Year award. Also pictured, from left, is CSPTA President Nicole Portee, President-Elect Lance Yoxsimer and Englewood Director of Operations David Henderson.
PUEBLO, Colo. — Outstanding school bus drivers, technicians and other pupil transportation professionals were recognized here during the Colorado State Pupil Transportation Association (CSPTA)’s annual conference.
On June 17, the association held a school bus roadeo and a technician competition. Here are the top contestants:
1. Don Hough, Adams 12 Five Star Schools
2. Patrick Maloney, Douglas County School District
3. Kurt Rosten, Colorado Springs School District 11
Conventional bus (general education)
1. Ray Goik, Cherry Creek School District
2. Josh Gonzales, Cherry Creek School District
3. Dennis Rose, Jefferson County Public Schools
1. Jesse Hill and Melissa Surlett, Academy District 20
2. Steven Stephens and Patty Mize, Falcon School District 49
3. Chris Fritts and Sydni Sertich, Academy District 20
The first-place winners have the option to represent Colorado at the respective national-level competitions, with support from CSPTA.
Also at the annual gathering, the association awarded its “Persons of the Year”:
• Operations — Kimberly Venable, Englewood Schools
• Paraprofessional — Carrie Moore, Jefferson County Public Schools
• Driver — George Casais, Alamosa School District
• Above and Beyond — Jack Garland (posthumous), Jefferson County Public Schools
Garland was killed in an accident last winter. During a snowstorm in March, the driver of a bus with other bus drivers on board had pulled over to put on snow chains. Garland, one of the bus drivers who had gotten out to help, was fatally struck by a pickup truck that lost control.