Subscribe Today

October 21, 2010  |   Comments (0)   |   Post a comment

Clean diesel grant program to kick off soon


WASHINGTON, D.C. — School bus operations should soon have another opportunity to vie for funding for clean diesel efforts.

The EPA said that it plans to post a request for proposals (RFP) in early November for the 2011 Diesel Emissions Reduction Act (DERA) grant program.

About $60 million is expected to be available for the upcoming round, according to the Diesel Technology Forum.

The EPA said it will offer four Web seminars throughout November to discuss the RFP.

Details on the program will be posted at

Each year, 70 percent of the DERA funds goes to national competitive grants, with the remaining 30 percent allocated to the states.

School bus operations have used the funds to replace old buses or to retrofit them with emission-control equipment.

As previously reported, a variety of organizations have been calling on Congress to renew the DERA program for another five years. It is set to expire next year, but U.S. Senators Thomas Carper (D-Del.) and George Voinovich (R-Ohio) have reportedly been drafting legislation to reauthorize it.

The Diesel Technology Forum said that it and more than 340 supporters sent a letter to Voinovich and Carper expressing their interest in having DERA reauthorized.


Post a Comment

Read more about: emissions, EPA

Request More Info about this product/service/company

Post a comment

Related Stories

Premium Member

Get bus sales numbers, transportation statistics, bus specifications, industry survey results, bus loading and unloading fatality statistics and more in the School Bus Fleet Research Center. Become a premium member today!
Log in Button Register Button


Get breaking news, industry updates, product announcements and more.