July 11, 2011  |   Comments (39)   |   Post a comment

Krapf acquires Septran Inc.

WEST CHESTER, Pa. — Krapf Bus Companies Inc. has acquired Septran Inc., which provides school transportation for special-needs students in Illinois and Minnesota.

The company operates a fleet of 1,150 vehicles, which range from minivans to small buses. About 15 percent of Septran’s fleet is full-size school buses.

“This is an important step for us, and we weighed it very carefully,” said Blake Krapf, CEO of Krapf Bus Companies. “Septran is a premier company in special-needs school transportation in the Midwest, and we are very proud that they selected Krapf from among many others to take over their operations. We believe the Midwest offers a lot of opportunities for Septran, and now for us.”

Krapf added that Septran’s owner and founder is 83 and ready to retire, but he wanted to ensure that the company he built continues to be family-owned and employee-centered, as well as remain an important part of the communities that Septran has served. These are core values of the Krapf companies, according to Blake Krapf, and Septran’s owner found that compelling.

“We are very proud to have Septran as part of the Krapf bus family,” added Dale Krapf, chairman of Krapf’s board of directors. “They have a very strong management and employee team, a great customer base, a well-managed fleet and a fine reputation. We expect to not only add to their future, but also to learn from them to make all our operations even better.”

Krapf Bus Companies’ acquisition of Septran is the second the company has made recently. Hash Bus Co. LP also became part of the Krapf bus family, as SBF reported last month.
Krapf, established nearly 70 years ago, is the largest private school bus contractor in Pennsylvania and Delaware. It also operates charter buses, paratransit vehicles and public transit lines in its home county of West Chester.

D. Rudi    |    Sep 11, 2015 07:04 PM

D Rudi    |    Sep 11, 2015 06:49 PM

09/11/15-Friday: Been waiting for Septran to contact school with transportation for my child...this was submitted 08/20/15 and STILL NO TRANSPORTATION! School said it is Septran. I decide to contact Naperville Septram regarding this...I talked to "Irene" who stated that the school did not provide them with my address only phone number (how naive did Irene think I was??? I may have been born in the morning but not this morning). It is an ultimate embarrassment to have a Septran employee tell such a farce! I know when paperwork is submitted all information is provided...YES YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!! SHOULD I FEEL MY CHILD IS SAFE ON THEIR BUS (WHEN THEY DECIDE TO TRANSPORT) OR NOT...I AM STARTING TO THINK THE LATTER...IT HAS BEEN WELL OVER 10 DAYS AND I AM HAVING TO TRANSPORT, STILL!

D Rudi    |    Sep 11, 2015 06:48 PM

Septran is a very SAD company. No benefits no nothing. They want us to transport precious cargo. :\ and not get paid for it. It feels like you are working for free. People quit 👈 and 👉. It feels like its going down the drain .. Currently seeking

sad to say    |    Sep 05, 2015 06:04 AM

Traveling east on Renwick Road on my way to work there was a Septran bus that traveling 10 miles over the limit swerving back and forth. I came up beside this bus at Weber Road red light. The driver was a lady that was texting. The bus number was M-1211. this happened on 6-8-15. This person needs to be FIRED NOW

NA    |    Jun 08, 2015 08:56 AM

you might as well install a revolving door as fast as people are leaving because of the way they are being screwed since you bought the company. Taking away so many benefits that we had before and not paying good wages to the people in the west like you pay drivers in the east.

jJ    |    Mar 11, 2015 12:13 PM

Part-Time School Bus Driver Part-Time School Bus Driver Needed Krapf Bus Company offers: PAID CDL TRAINING Starting Rate up to $16.95/hr. & Take your Child To Work” Option Call: 484-879-1524 E-mail: [email protected] HIRING FAIR Saturday, February 21, 2015 120 Springton Rd. Glenmoore, PA 19343 You will start people out at so much more out east than you will west of you and our cost of living is the same as yours how about explaining this.

anonymous    |    Feb 20, 2015 05:19 PM

On the buses that you are taking from drivers you are still going to have to change the capacity to show the correct number of people that are allowed on the bus, which should have been done by the manufacturer but was not, This has been checked out with the manufacturer.

anonymous    |    Feb 16, 2015 08:33 AM

we got a real dummy in the head office they are taking our good buses and giving us crap buses because they can't figure that the buses they are taking have the improper capacity on the inside of the bus instead of putting the proper capacity and taking them because they say we need CDL license to drive them when we don't you are having problems hiring people and you are going to have a hard time keeping the people you got.

anonymous    |    Feb 13, 2015 12:23 PM

I just saw one of Septran's drivers on I90 at Business 20 at 9:30 on Tuesday 1/13/2015 texting and driving which is illegal in this state. He was driving a vehicle numbered 76. I'm glad to say I could not see any other occupants in the car but that doesn't make it right. I hope you enforce strict policies to ensure your passengers' and other drivers' safety.

Anonymous    |    Jan 13, 2015 09:15 AM

Local schools from Chicago to Rockford and other smaller towns have been closed due to the weather being deathly cold. Weather advisories tell citizens to stay inside or limit outdoor time to minimal. We do not pump our own gas as in some terminals, that being said, why should there be 'gas hours' and a person out checking fluid and pumping gas when rules state that drivers are NOT allowed to let buses idol or warm up in this weather? If you don't have school, why make a person who makes just over minimum wage stand out and get frost bite and hypothermia?

nyob    |    Jan 07, 2015 05:49 AM

Well you let go a man that had been with the company for over thirty five years and contributed to the company greatly, just because he was not computer literate you should be ashamed of yourselves. He did a lot of work maybe a bit grouchy at times but he made certain the work was done. You have screwed up a good company with all your changes of cutting benefits. What are you going to do when you lose the contract because of your bull with the school district?

jJ    |    Dec 13, 2014 07:53 AM

The student that hit the aide in the mouth was removed from the bus yesterday by police and taken for observation.

jJ    |    Nov 22, 2014 07:11 AM

Fired bus aide The bus that the aide got fired from after getting hit in the mouth and receiving a chipped tooth and a bloody lip because she muttered a flul word, had to have three squad cars at the bus and remove that child. The child was taken for observation at a hospital for their behavior. Septran don't you think you should offer the person an appology and offer them their job back?

jJ    |    Nov 21, 2014 03:39 PM

unlawful firing This bull an aide gets hit in the mouth gets a bloody mouth and a chipped tooth, when she got hit she automatically uttered a couple of words, (G--damn) I would of said a lot more, but this is not a reason to fire a person that has a good work record. People you see why we need a unon, to protect us from this bull. Sign the cards so we can get protection or you maybe next!!!

jJ Harley    |    Nov 15, 2014 04:50 PM

To the person that says the union wants to control Septran. The Union has not posted a thing its the people working for Septran that want the union because we are tired of the crap we are getting from Krapf.

jJ    |    Oct 12, 2014 07:54 PM

Septran use to be a good place to work for Krapf bought it started taking benefits away that helped make it a good company to work and they helped make up for the lack of pay. We are under paid compared to Illinois Central and First Student or the school districts. The office door is like a revolving door so many people getting the axe for things that should of been a warning. They also have problems getting drivers because their reputation stinks and the wages are so low. Starting wage is $1.75- $2.00 below other companies. So Krap are you going to improve working conditions or do we seek UNION help?

jJ    |    Oct 11, 2014 04:50 PM

Roger Jensen, wonderful boss. good luck to you

pat andreas    |    Sep 24, 2014 09:17 AM

Krapf, needs to come to Rockford and take a good look at the crap here. Management for one.Unannounced no hey we are coming. You need to see it in real time. Not in oh hurry they are coming.

Anonymous    |    Sep 04, 2014 05:29 PM

While I don't necessarily agree or disagree with having a union, it's very apparent here that the union wants to control Septran and will tell any lie to try to stir up trouble and discontent in order to achieve it. Which is a good reason NOT to have a union and let the capitalistic economy work as it will.

Lone Ranger    |    Aug 29, 2014 07:26 AM

you see by the previous post that a union is needed, so people call (847) 695-1516 or check out web site and find out what the union can do help you with better wages and working conditions.

jJHuff    |    Jul 24, 2014 11:51 AM

How can this company survive with people that are racist, and sexist one person has a confederate flag on there arm, others make comments against other races, other pick on minorities and the jokes that are told are outrageous. How do they expect to keep people with poor wages and these poor working conditions.

Septran MPLs    |    Jul 22, 2014 09:58 AM

We have found that about as soon as we get enough signed up that some more have quit and we have to get more people signed up. Septran goes thru help like water. People you need a union call 847-695-1516 or go to the union web site and find out how you can be helped ad protected by the union

jJ    |    Jun 13, 2014 06:35 AM

Krapf keeps taking more and more away from Septran drivers they say Rockford is cheaper to live in than Chicago. They are crazy it costs just as much to live in Chicago they need to start increasing our wage to bring them inline with Chicago wages. You are having trouble keeping skilled drivers because of all stuff you are pulling. Start paying the good one you have a just wage or you might end up needing more drivers than you can handle.

jJ    |    Apr 13, 2014 12:38 PM

this will be the second time I have put this up. The speedometer in the buses must be calibrated and certified before you can enforce speeding overages. Your GPS says one thing and speedometer says something else.

driver for ?    |    Mar 12, 2014 04:02 PM

We the drivers for Septran feel that we are not being treat fairly since Krapf bought Septran and we want a union to represent us n our dealing with the company. This is not just one location this is all locations that feel this but we need more people to call and talk to the reps that want to help us, so please call them at 815-873-9988, 815-874- 6307, 708-485-485-3200, 612-378-0446 or 1-800-637-5430, call now we need the Union to represent us!

anonymous    |    Oct 22, 2013 11:24 AM

more people call the numbers posted so we can get to union rolling to help us to stop being walked on by Krapf

anonymous    |    Sep 22, 2013 04:20 PM

815 not 818 sorry

jJ    |    Sep 17, 2013 03:04 PM

Septran drivers you need UNION representation call 818-874-6307, 815-874-9988, or 708-485-3200 and you can find out what the Union can do for you and stop Krapf from taking everything from you that you have had for years CALL NOW!

jJ    |    Sep 16, 2013 06:02 PM

as far as i'm concerned all drivers of students should have cdls not just regular licences as in suburban drivers not just school bus permits

bus driver    |    Aug 15, 2013 04:25 PM

Septran use to be a great company. Working here for 15 years and all of a sudden we can only use vehicle until 6pm on weekdays and we are not allowed to use vehicle no longer on the weekends. Is this only for Rockford or for every septran?

septran rockford    |    Jun 14, 2013 03:20 PM

I worked at the Septran in Naperville i was fired me because there was a call about my driving. I had never ever been called into the office about my driving. I have never been wrote up or anything. I was fired me over the phone, on my day off, during spring break when school is out and over my own child. You know somehow or another it might have been a blessing now I will gain employment with a company that offers benefits, higher pay, can I mention paid vacation how about being paid for the HOLIDAY. The more I speak or even think about it I KNOW IT WAS A BLESSING.

SDorsey    |    Apr 16, 2013 07:27 AM

Becuase I left Septran in carol Stream Nov. of 2012 they refuse to give my my W2s. I have called all the offices and get a different story from all of them.I worked there for 13 years without incident and the new company took over and hired a new boss and she has let go many old drivers to lower their payrole.

Chris Puppel    |    Feb 03, 2013 12:02 PM

This should be getting tiresome for you deleting my comments that Nancy was fired injustly and should of been just given disaplenary action in stead of being fired. Let me also point out that I have a right to voice my view of what happened and you have the right to disagree with what I say but deleting what I say is not right, you have the right to rebuttal to what I say so do that but if I have to I will keep putting it back on here but why not say why you remove it? I still talk to quite a few of the drivers so I can still stay up to date on what is going on even tho I no longer work there and I encourage people to voice waht they feel about what is going on, on this site and the other sites.

anonymous    |    Oct 06, 2012 01:59 PM

another driver got screwed he voiced his thought and got fired more BS

jJ Huff    |    May 09, 2012 10:06 AM

well the turn over keeps going on most of the smart people are leaving, Septran needs a union to protect people!!!

jJ Huff    |    Apr 27, 2012 07:24 PM

I am done with this outfit gone better job that pays BENIFITS AND A DECENT WAGE that is the reason of a high turn over they need to start paying better maybe a union would help

jJ Huff    |    Apr 06, 2012 08:35 AM

I see that my earlier post stating that we get wrote up if someone complaints about our driving and do not get the chance to defend ourselves. They will not get the persons name or phone number as the school districts require this on any and all complaints, we feel this is unfair and we now believe that we need to seek representation to help us the drivers in unfair write ups.

jJ Huff    |    Dec 23, 2011 10:50 AM

ahhhh my new bosses... welcome... :D

Anonymous    |    Jul 11, 2011 09:36 PM